World Popular Resistance Clippings 12/2/2013

3 soldiers wounded in Davao bomb blast

DAVAO CITY, Philippines, Philippines (Xinhua) – At least three government troops were wounded in today’s bomb explosion in Davao City. According to Lt.Col. Inocencio Pasaporte, battalion commander, a team from the 69th Infantry Battalion led by Lt. Brian Malinao was conducting security patrol at Lumiad village, in Davao City’s Paquibato district when a homemade bomb believed exploded around 6 a.m., local time.

Three soldiers suffered shrapnel wounds due to the explosion and were rushed to the nearest local hospital. “Pursuit operation was now being launched against the perpetrator of this terroristic act,”Pasaporte said, alleging that the leftist New People’s Army was behind the explosion. Today’s incident came just days after NPA rebels, including a female fighter, killed a village official in nearby Compostela Valley province for allegedly supporting the government’s counter- insurgency activities.

http://www.philstar.com/breaking-news/2013/02/12/908128/update-3-soldiers-wounded-davao-bomb-blast

Army troops,NPA rebels clash in Zamboanga Sur

Patrolling government troops clashed Tuesday with communist rebels in the southern Philippine province of Zamboanga del Sur, officials said. Officials said the fighting erupted on a village in the town of Kumalarang where troops engaged some 30 New People’s Army rebels in a running gun battle.

http://www.mindanaoexaminer.com/news.php?news_id=20130212104543

5 soldiers hurt in clash with NPA rebels

COTABATO CITY, Philippines – Five soldiers were wounded in two days of hostilities which started Monday between government forces and communist rebels in North Cotabato’s restive Makilala town. The latest encounter between New People’s Army guerrillas and soldiers, which erupted early Tuesday in Barangay New Israel, Makilala left two soldiers, initially identified only as Cpls. Pantasan and Soria, badly wounded.

The wounded soldiers, who both belong to the 6th ID’s elite 62nd Division Reconnaissance Company, and several companions were on their way to a hinterland area in Barangay New Israel on board an Army truck when NPAs, positioned at one side of the road, shot them with assault rifles. The companions of Pantasan and Soria managed to jump out of their vehicle and engage their attackers, preventing the rebels from closing in on the soldiers. The attackers scampered away after sensing that responding soldiers from a nearby Army base, backed by militiamen, have started arriving at the scene.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/02/12/907954/5-soldiers-hurt-clash-npa-rebels

Workers protest before Court

Imphal, February 11 2013: Workers of Imphal airport today staged demonstration at the Court complex Lamphelpat when contractor Nilachandra appeared before a Court here. Contractor Kangjam Nilachandra of Malom Bazar has been accused of bashing up a woman worker at Tulihal Airport complex on December 12 last year. He was arrested by Singjamei Police following a complaint filed by women workers regarding the incident.

Victim Amom Tembi (50) of Taobungkhok Makha Leikai said that she was beaten up by Nilachandra when she asked the contractor to clear her due wage. She was hospitalised at RIMS Hospital that day, Tembi said. The protesters demanded that Nilachandra be sent to jail for violation of workers’ rights. Saying that another sit-in-protest would be staged at Keishampat on February 13, the protesters also threatened that they would call a bandh along Tiddim Road if befitting punishment is not given to Nilachandra.

http://e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=7..120213.feb13

Discussion on AFSPA just a deceptive show: RPF

Imphal, February 11 2013: The proscribed outfit, Revolutionary People’s Front (RPF) has slammed the Indian Army and the India government asserting that the discussion of the government to modify AFSPA is delusive and the only reason for discussion is to get a permanent seat in the United Nations’ Security Council (UNSC) . In a statement signed by its Secretary Publicity Roben Khuman, RPF stated that the recent remark of Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram who said that the opposition of the Army from bringing about any dilution in the Armed Forces Special Powers Act 1958 has overshadowed the reason of having a Civilian government.

This has once again shown the true nature of the Indian Army, their position and how they are carrying out many illegal activities in the country with immunity granted under AFSPA. Indian Army never wants to repeal or amend AFSPA. But at the same time, they want to show the whole world that they are the protectors of human rights while keeping behind their misdeeds and human rights violation behind closed door. It was very unfortunate for the Chief of Indian Army who during the 65th Army Day Parade in New Delhi said that Indian Army stand top in discipline and in respecting human rights.

Because everyone knows how Indian Army raped hundreds of innocent civilian in 2008 during their UN peace keeping mission in Congo, thus compelling the UN to give instruction to India for taking up necessary legal actions against the personnel involved, RPF observed. Stating that IPKF does not stand for Indian Peace Keeping Force but Innocent People Killing Forces, the statement went on to point out that during its mission in Sri Lanka to root out LTTE, IPKF raped and killed many innocent civilians.

When Sri Lankan Tamilians protested, Brigadier Kahlon simply shrugged off saying that “Indian Army are not Angels. Such incidents of rape occur in many Western countries. Likewise, Indian Army and its IPKF are infamous for violation of human rights, rape and killing of innocent people. There are countless complaints of rape cases, fake encounters, brutal killings and forced disappearances against the Indian Army from all over the country, specially in Jammu and Kashmir and North Eastern region. Cases of rights violation in Manipur by the Indian Army under AFSPA is no exception.

Torturing of innocent people, killing of innocent people on the mere suspicion, making many children orphaned, making young women widows, raping women, sodomising youths, fake encounters and massacres have been an inseparable parts of the Indian Army and its units in the state since the imposition of AFSPA. Among the thousands of such incidents, some which are worth mentioning are Heirangoithong Massacre (1984), Oinam Massacre (1987), Tera Massacre (1993), RMC Massacre (1996), Tousem Lamkhai Massacre (1999), Malom Massacre (2000) and Manorama killing, RPF alleged.

http://e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=27..120213.feb13

600 prisoners on hunger strike in Montenegro

Podgorica. Nearly half the inmates at a prison in Montenegro have launched a hunger strike to protest against conditions at the facility, a local non-governmental group said Tuesday. “The prison confirmed that around 600 people are on a hunger strike,” Milan Radovic of the Civic Alliance group told AFP. The strike, which began Monday, is one of the largest ever at the Podgorica prison, which houses 1,350 inmates.

Montenegro’s justice ministry said that “some of the inmates are refusing to eat”. The strikers are upset over the quality of the living conditions and the food, as well as a lack of medical care at the overpopulated facility. They are also demanding that the Montenegro parliament adopt an amnesty law that would slash the length of their sentences by a fifth.

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n299279

21 prisoners on hunger strike in Oman’s Samail jail

Six representatives of some prisoners in Samail Central Jail for ‘illegal gatherings’ in Qurm in June 2012 on Sunday met chairman of the Supreme Court, Sheikh Ishaq al Busaidi, at the Supreme Court. They requested that the court at the earliest announce its decison on the case wherein the verdict of the Primary Court was upheld by the Muscat Court of Appeal on December 12. On Monday, a letter requesting an early decision was delivered to the Supreme Court by a relative of an accused. Earlier, family members and lawyers of the 17 held in Samail Central Jail, on charges of lèse majesté and illegal gathering said that some of the prisoners began a hunger strike on Saturday, calling for a quick decision from the Supreme Court in their appeals.

Yaqoub al Harthi, a defence lawyer for some of the accused in the illegal gathering case, said, “I received a call on Saturday from one of the prisoners jailed on lèse majesté charges saying that all the 17 prisoners who signed on a statement of planning hunger strike on February 6 started their hunger strike on Saturday.” The wife of another prisoner said that her husband told her on Saturday that 17 prisoners are on hunger strike since Saturday. Harthi said four other prisoners had joined the strike on Sunday. Khalifa al Hinai, another defence lawyer for five of those jailed for illegal gathering said that so far the Supreme Court has not replied to the appeals presented in the gathering case.

http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman/21-prisoners-on-hunger-strike-in-Oman-s-Samail-jail-21d4

Pontiac prison hunger strike enters second week

SPRINGFIELD — The number of inmates on a hunger strike over conditions at Pontiac Correctional Center is down by about half one week into the protest. Illinois Department of Corrections spokeswoman Stacey Solano said about 25 prisoners at the maximum-security facility entered the second week of not eating Monday in hopes of securing a variety of concessions from prison officials. When the strike was launched Feb. 4, officials reported nearly 50 inmates were participating. Of those left, a handful are former residents of Tamms Correctional Center, which was closed by Gov. Pat Quinn last month in a budget-cutting move.

Although Tamms was a super-maximum-security facility, some of the prisoners, who are now residing in Pontiac, said conditions are actually worse, said Brian Nelson, a prison specialist with the Chicago-based Uptown People’s Law Center. Nelson said inmates are complaining about cold temperatures in their cells, fewer cleaning supplies and changes in personal grooming products.

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/pontiac-prison-hunger-strike-enters-second-week/article_702ad94c-74cd-11e2-8a56-0019bb2963f4.html

Tire workers confront French police over layoffs

RUEIL-MALMAISON, France (AP) – Workers fired flares and paint bombs and riot police answered with tear gas in a standoff Tuesday over layoffs at a French plant for U.S. tiremaker Goodyear, amid tensions over a slump in Europe’s car industry that has hurt automakers and their suppliers. Another demonstration Tuesday targeted the headquarters of carmaker PSA Peugeot Citroen, which is laying off thousands of people.

Protests over cutbacks in the industry have been a big challenge for French President Francois Hollande’s government in recent months. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.’s French operation announced plans last month to close a factory in Amiens in northern France, which could lead to about 1,200 layoffs. Talks with a potential buyer for the plant reportedly broke down this week.

Hundreds of workers, many waving red union flags, protested Tuesday at Goodyear’s French headquarters in Rueil-Malmaison near Paris. They set off red flares and threw paint bombs. Police responded with spurts of tear gas. No injuries were immediately reported. Workers led by unions also protested Tuesday outside the Peugeot Citroen headquarters. Unions and management have been arguing for months over a company plan to close a landmark factory and lay off thousands of workers around the country.

http://www.wsav.com/story/21133069/tire-workers-confront-french-police-over-layoffs

Nigeria: Woman Killed, Two Houses Burnt as Youths Protest in Ububo Village

Villagers in Ububo, Awara in Ohaji/Egbema Local Government Area of Imo have fled their homes in the wake of youth restiveness that has left one woman dead and two houses burnt. An eyewitness on Monday identified the cause of the crisis as the non-involvement of the youth of the community in the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the community and Walter-Smith Ltd., an oil drilling company.

According to the source, who preferred anonymity, the youths were angered by the action of the elders and took the law into their hands. The eyewitness said trouble started a day before the signing of the agreement as the youth failed to elect a representative to join the elders in the exercise. The Public Relations Officer of the Imo Police Command, Mr Vitalis Onugu, confirmed the incident, saying that investigation had opened into the cause of the unrest. He said a team of policemen had been dispatched to quell the restiveness.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201302120429.html

Comments are closed.