Maoists issue statement, condemn attack on Sori in Chhattisgarh
RAIPUR: Strongly condemning attack on tribal rights activist and AAP Lok Sabha member Soni Sori, Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee (DSZC) on Tuesday issued a statement appealing public representatives and locals to demonstrate strong and intensified protests against the atrocities on Bastar. Maoist spokesperson Vikalp of DSZC in a statement issued to media saying, ” Soni Sori fearless stand against molestation of women by security forces didn’t go down well with police and administration and they attacked on her yet again to shut her mouth.”
Stating about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit, Maoist said that during his first visit last year, he brought idea of Salwa Judum II and this time by allowing and attack on Sori, he’s sending out message that anyone who raises voice against government would be considered Maoist or sympathizer, “it’s utter violation of human rights.” Criticizing molestation on women, fake encounters and surrenders, gang-rapes in conflict region, the spokesperson said that it was an attempt to silence those who raise voice against the wrongs, so that the world shouldn’t know the truth. Blaming it on Union and state government, RSS and the BJP sponsored organization Samajk ekta Manch, Naxal Pidit Sangh and Salwa Judum II, the spokesperson said that the attacks and assault on people are being done in joint collaboration with police.
Sori was targeted because she raised voice against assault on women by security forces in October 2015 and took the matter to court with help of lawyers and social workers. Maoist said that police also made attempts to terrify journalist Malini Subramaniam and other social workers and also they made it impossible for a BBC representative to work in the region, which is condemnable. Criticizing molestation on women, fake encounters and surrenders, gang-rapes in conflict region, the spokesperson said that it was an attempt to silence those who raise voice against the wrongs, so that the world shouldn’t know the truth. Communist Party of India (Maoist) appeal people to join hands to fight strong against the rapes, molestation, fake encounters and violation of human rights, the statement said.
36 Years On, Naxalite Gets Five Life Terms Till Death
VELLORE: Thirty-six years after naxalite Sivalingam (74) alias Anbu, killed three policemen and three of his associates by hurling a country-made bomb, a Vellore court on Monday awarded him five life imprisonments till death, along with a concurrent sentence of 10 years’ rigourous imprisonment. This is the first time that a five-life term verdict was awarded by a Vellore court. The verdict was given in a case registered by the Tirupattur police under Sections 3 and 4 of the Explosives Substances Act in 1980. The offender, who was active during the 1980s’ naxal conflict in the northern Tamil Nadu, had slipped out of 11 such cases.
According to Public Prosecutor S R Shanmugam, who represented the State, Sivalingam and his associates Perumal, Rajappa, Selvam, and Chinnathambi were nabbed by a police team led by inspector Palanisamy on August 6, 1980. The arrest was effected in connection with a double murder case. Sivalingam broke out of custody while being transported to the Tiruppattur station by detonating a country-made bomb that he was hiding. Police inspector Palanisamy and two constables – Yesudas and Murugesan – and Sivalingam’s associates – Perumal, Rajappa, and Selvam – were killed. The case was then transferred to the CB-CID. After 29 years, Sivalingam was arrested by the Villupuram police in connection with another case.
On Monday, Vellore additional district and session court Judge S Natarajan found Sivalingam guilty under the Explosives Substances Act, and based his verdict on the IPC 34 and 302. The verdict was arrived at with the support of 14 witnesses. In a bid to free northern Tamil Nadu from naxalism in the 1980s, the then Chief Minister M G Ramachandran had launched a special operation. As many as 19 naxals were killed by four police teams before the region was brought under complete control. Incidentally, Chinnathambi, the only other surviving suspect from the incident, died recently of natural causes, making Sivalingam the only survivor in the case. He is a native of Vakkanampatti village near Jolarpet and was working in the railways before getting involved in the naxal movement.
August 6, 1980: Naxalite Sivalingam and his associates – Perumal, Rajappa, Selvam and Chinnathambi – were picked up a police team in connection with a double murder and were being taken to Tirupattur taluk police station The police vehicle stopped at Tirupattur as Sivalingam wanted to relieve himself Suddenly, Sivalingam hurled a country bomb that he was hiding in his innerwear and escaped from the spot with Chinnathambi Police inspector Palanisamy, constables – Yesudas and Murugesan – and three suspects – Perumal, Rajappa and Selvam – died in the explosion
In 2009, Sivalingam was arrested in connection with another case in Tiruvalluvar district. Chinnathambi, who was arrested earlier, died a few years ago Following this, CB-CID police reopened the case on October 11, 2010 On Monday, Sivalingam was awarded five life terms under the provision of 302 (punishment for murder) of the IPC read with 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the IPC and 10 years RI under sections 3 and 4 of Explosives Substances Act 1908.
Jharkhand: Maoist zonal commander neutralised by security forces in Gumla
A Maoist zonal commander, identified as Sanjay Yadav, believed to be in his thirties, was on Tuesday killed in an exchange of fire between him and the security forces in a village under Palkot police station area of Gumla district. The police said that he was a zonal commander of Maoists and carried a reward of Rs 10 lakh on his head. According to the police, a joint team of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the local police launched an operation in the early hours of Tuesday to raid the hideouts, where top Maoist operative Khudi Munda was believed to be staying for the last three to four days. Gumla Superintendent of Police Bhimsen T said that the security forces had information about Munda and his close associate, Yadav, hiding in a village Keorkatta under Palkot police station area. “We had information that Munda and Yadav usually move together. We had set targeted both of them. Munda, however, could not be traced.
But the forces spotted Yadav trying to escape on a motorcycle, riding pillion. When confronted by the forces, he jumped out and tried to escape while opening fire. In the ensuing encounter, he was killed. The firing occurred between 11 a.m. and 11.30 a.m.,” said the SP. Bhimsen added that Yadav forced a motorcycle rider to allow him to ride pillion as he tried to flee, realising that the forces were closing-in on him. “The motorcycle rider has been detained. Initially, it has come to light that he was a local man and could not refuse Yadav’s diktat, as the latter was armed, to give him a lift. But the exit route Yadav took found him having a head-on confrontation with the security forces. He then jumped out and tried to escape by opening fire,” said Bhimsen.
The police have recovered a carbine, a pistol, 66 live rounds of ammunition, Rs 2 lakh in cash supposed to be part of levy, besides receipts and Maoist literature. Yadav alias Mantriji alias Yatin was a resident of Purana Hindiya village under Manatu police station area of Palamu. He was involved in several cases of attacking policemen and also the civilian population. Yadav was the zonal commander and head of Simdega Sub-zone, which covered all of Simdega district, besides two police station areas of Gumla. “Apart from Gumla and Simdega, he was also active in Palamu and possibly in Chatra. We are collecting records regarding him,” said the SP. Inspector General (Operations) M S Bhatia said: “This is definitely a big catch. He was a zonal commander. In the last couple of months, barring Chirag Da, who was killed on Bihar-Jharkhand border, Yadav is among the top most commanders to have been neutralised by the security forces.”
Chirag was incharge of Bihar-Jharkhand special area committee. Together with four Maoists, including a woman, who were gunned down in Bundu area of Ranchi on February 20, the security forces have neutralised 11 Maoists in the less than two months. Following the gunning down of Chirag Da, the Maoists had held a meeting of their groups in the forests of Chaibasa district. While one of the groups was neutralised in Ranchi, the other group of Shravan carried out explosions in two panchayat bhawans in Latehar district, besides setting mobile phone towers afire. They had also given a bandh call on February 15 and 16 in Bihar and Jharkhand.
Total reward of Rs 1.38 cr for informers on Naxal leaders
MUMBAI: The government will be spending Rs 1.38 crore towards rewarding the informers who give details about naxal leaders and their whereabouts to the police in Naxal affected areas in the state. Government Resolutions that were issued on Mondaysaying that of the Rs 1.38 crore that the government has to pay informers, Rs 69lakh was already been approved and the remaining Rs 55 lakh were approved. These costs were incurred for operations during the year 2014-2015.
The prize money is given to informers after the police undertakes a successful operation based on their tip off. The prize money to be given was decided in 2014 and ranges between Rs 20,000 to Rs 1 lakh depending on the rank of the person whose information has been given. “The right to decide whether the informer should be awarded the money for the tip off rests with the Inspector General of that district. The tip offs have to result into some action and only then money can be given, “said a senior official.
Those killed in Puttakota encounter were naxals, claimed police
Visakhapatnam: Tribals who visit the weekly market claimed that the two persons shot dead in an encounter with the police in Puttakota forest were hunters who had ventured into the forest with weapons for hunting bisons in order to sell the meat. Others said the two who were gunned down were tribals from Odisha.
15kg IED recovered in Chhattisgarh
Raipur, Feb 23 (PTI) A 15 kg improvised explosive device was recovered by security forces today from the naxal- affected Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh. Officials said the recovery was made by a squad of paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police force early in the day from the Revamand-Kulnar road area of the district. “The IED weighing 15 kg has been handed over to state police by an ITBP team belonging to the 46th battalion. It was timely detected by the patrol team before it could target security forces or civilians,” an official said. The ITBP is deployed in the district for conducting anti-Naxal operations.
Chhattisgarh Naxalite held at Sriperumbudur
Chennai: The police have arrested a man, who is said to be a naxalite, at Sriperumbudur. According to police, the arrested has been identified as Surendra Yadav from Chhattisgarh and he was from his hideout in a secret operation. Yadav fled his native after a major firing between the maoists and police last year. Since his escape, the Chattisgarh police have been searching for him and tracking his phone signals. Based on inputs, the Q-Branch division took him into custody from his secret location in Sriperumbadur. It is said, Surendra has been living in Sriperumbadur for a year now. The Chattisgarh police will soon take him into custody.
Slain Maoists yet to be identified
Bodies of two members of the Galikonda area committee of the banned CPI (Maoist), who were killed during an exchange of fire with the Greyhounds near Devulapadu in Koyyuru mandal on Sunday are yet to be identified. The bodies are being brought to Narsipatnam for post-mortem. The place where the exchange of fire took place was in a hilly area deep inside the forest near the border with East Godavari. According to reports reaching here, the bodies are being taken to Narsipatnam via Mampa. Earlier they were expected to be taken via Y. Ramavaram. The two persons killed reportedly belonged to a tribe which kills animals and sell their meat. The two Girijans were carrying country-made fire-arms and were said to be on sentry duty for some senior leaders of the Maoist party, like Kudumula Ravi, Vikram, and some others. One person was also injured in the incident.
The Devulapadu area is said to be a shelter zone for the Maoists and the last time a police party visited the area was six to seven months ago. This was also the area in which a top leader of the Maoist party, Kailasam was killed in an encounter in 2007. The Maoists attacked a police party that was bringing Kailasam’s body, but all the policemen escaped unhurt.
Rebels on capital doorstep – Seized cellphones help police operation in forests
Vijay Deo Jha Ranchi, Feb. 22: Over 50 armed hardcore Maoists, who managed to escape the February 18 anti-rebel offensive in Bundu near Ranchi on NH-33, are understood to be hiding in forests as close as 8-10km from capital limits with police combing suspected hideouts based on information gleaned from seized cellphones. Big rebel names, including central committee member Vivek, who operates across the country but counts on Bokaro-Dhanbad-Giridih as his turf, and senior Maoists Mithilesh and Ram Mohan Munda are learnt to be holed up in Namkum, Angada and Rahe in Ranchi district to bide time after the encounter that claimed four colleagues, including a woman.
As danger looms worryingly close to the capital, the police are making efforts to trace these absconding rebels with the help of cellphones recovered from the dead quartet. Handsets with SIMs recovered on February 18 include two of Reliance, one each of Samsung, Nokia and Micromax, the last one being a smartphone. A Motorola walkie-talkie, recovered from the dead Maoists, has also been activated to check if it catches the frequency of any corresponding device in its circle.
According to a police technical expert who did not want to be named, call records suggest the Maoists stopped using cellphones a week before the February 18 encounter so as to make their movements traceless. However, a week before that, frequent calls were made to different numbers from these mobile phones and many numbers were also stored in the handsets. The walkie-talkie was twice used by Maoists during the operation, possibly seeking reinforcements to counter the police attack, the expert added.
Besides the cellphones and walkie-talkie, police also recovered 95 live cartridges of AK-47, two 303 rifles along with 40 live cartridges, two self-loading rifles, Rs 6,36,900 in cash and Maoist literature from the site of the encounter that occurred possibly when the Maoists, after holding unit-level meetings at Porahat forests of West Singhbhum, were dispersing in groups. Ranchi SSP Kuldeep Dwivedi confirmed combing operations were on, but was tight-lipped about the specific areas where the rebels might be hiding.
The bodies of the four rebels kept at Ranchi’s RIMS since February 19 have not yet been claimed by relatives. But yesterday, the police made primary identification after circulating their photographs among informers, thanas and the media. According to this, the dead Maoists are Boida Pahan, who carried a prize money of Rs 5 lakh on his head, Sunita, alias Aliza, a woman Maoist leader active for over eight years, Hemant and Roshan. An FIR, lodged at Bundu police station against 18 named, including the four dead, and 50 unknown Maoists, was finalised today, said Bundu SDPO Pawan Kumar. “The FIR was finalised today after examining details and evidence gathered. But the entry date will be February 19, a day after the encounter. The names of rebels in the FIR include Vivek, Ram Mohan Munda, Amit Munda, Kishan, Krish, Ankita and Prakash,” SDPO Kumar said, adding that the identities of the dead could be confirmed only when family members turned up at RIMS to claim bodies.