Chhattisgarh-Jharkhand security model for 5-phase elections in Bihar
NEW DELHI: More than 500 companies of central armed police forces will be sent to Bihar for the assembly polls with home ministry offi-cials adding that arrangements for assembly polls in Naxal-affected Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand will be replicated during the five-phase polling in the state. MHA officials have held a series of meetings with CAPFs — Central Reserve Police Force, Central Industrial Security Force, Border Security Force, Sashastra Seema Bal and Indo-Tibetan Border Police — in the last few days.
The forces are geared for the task, officials said. Some paramilitary forces will, in fact, reach Bihar by September 18 and 19 to hold advanced liaisoning meetings and conduct area domination operations. The first two phases of polling on October 12 and 16 will be held in Naxal-prone South Bihar and will pose a tough challenge. “Local police and other forces will be trained in identifying and defusing IEDs, especially in Naxal areas,” a senior official said. “Often a new force that enters a state during elections is targeted by Naxals. We will have daily intelligence sharing with local cops and intensify patrolling in hypersensitive areas.” During assembly polls, central forces usually have 60%-70% deployment in booths. But with EC asking for 100% deployment, there is little scope for booth capturing , officials said.
Dreaded naxalite with Rs 8 lakh reward on head killed in Gadchiroli
NAGPUR: A dreaded naxalite who was carrying a reward of Rs 8 lakh on his head has been killed in an encounter in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra, police said today. According to police, the 22-year-old naxalite, identified as Pramod Kachlami, was killed on September 3, but his death could be confirmed only after his bullet-ridden body was found at the encounter site yesterday by Gadchiroli police. One woman naxalite, Kummu alias Rajju (27), too, was killed in the same encounter.
Production warrant against Maoist activist
The Ernakulam District and Principal Sessions Court on Wednesday issued a production warrant from Anoop George, an alleged Maoist operative and an accused in the National Highway Authority of India(NHAI) office attack case . The warrant, directing to produce Anoop on September 23, was issued after the authorities failed to produce him in the court on Wednesday as per an earlier production warrant. Police said they had approached Coimbatore Central Jail for bringing Anoop to Kochi based on a production warrant issued a couple of days earlier.
The jail authorities, however, could not arrange policemen to escort him, following which the production warrant was returned. Anoop, a native of Pathanamthitta was arraigned as first accused in the case over attack at the office of NHAI, Kalamassery in January this year. The police have information that Anoop was part of the nine-member gang which vandalised the office. Meanwhile, Ramanan, a native of Sasthamangalam and second accused in the case, was sent to judicial custody after seven days of police custody.
Police said Ramanan was not cooperating with the investigation The case pertains to attack on the NHAI office at Kalamassery by a group of unidentified persons in January this year. The attackers left pamphlets protesting against the acquisition of land for the NH expansion and privatisation of public organisations. The pamphlets claimed that the attack was carried out by CPI (Maoist). Anoop and Ramanan are also accused in the case registered for a similar attack on the corporate office of Nitta Gelatine last year.
Custody of Maoists, sympathisers extended till October 7
The Principal District Sessions Judge (PDSJ) on Wednesday extended the judicial custody of Maoist leader Roopesh, his wife Shyna and sympathisers J. Anoop, C. Kannan and C. Veeramani till October 7. They were arrested at an eatery at Karumathampatty in the late hours of May 3, 2015. Charge sheet Their Counsel S. Balamurugan argued that the judicial custody should not be extended as the five were in jail for more than four months, as the charge sheet was yet to be filed.
The PDSJ Pongiappan asked if the five would give their signature and handwriting samples – over a petition moved by ‘Q’ Branch Police a couple of months ago – to verify the same with documents seized from them during their arrest. Mr. Balamurugan said that a petition submitted by them in this connection was pending before the Madras High Court, due to which the signature samples cannot be obtained from them on Wednesday.
Mr. Balamurugan also said that they filed a petition before the court, alleging that prison authorities were acting highhanded by blacking out news items on prisons and political developments on the newspaper being provided to them at the prison. He argued that this was against the right to know, despite an order by the PDSJ to the prison authorities last month, to abide by the prison manual. Earlier, on a request made by Shyna, the PDSJ allowed her to talk with her husband for five minutes in court.
400kg IEDs recovered from Lakhisarai forest
Bihar: Para-military forces and the district police engaged in an anti-Maoist operation in Lakhisarai and other neighbouring districts recovered over 400 kg of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) planted by the Reds from the dense forest areas of Lakhisarai. Lakhisarai SP Ashok Kumar said, on a tip-off, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Special Task Force (STF) and Lakhisarai police launched a joint operation against the Naxalites in remote villages like Hanuman Asthan, Pili Bazar, Kanimoh, Sitlakhosari, Nepura etc under Kajra PS area in the district on Monday night. On Tuesday evening, they stumbled upon 56 IEDs planted near Mamu- Bhagina Mor deep in the jungles of Lakhisarai district.
The IEDs were planted allegedly by the Maoists in a bid to blow up vehicles of security forces engaged in the combing operation against them in the jungles of Lakhisarai and other areas where they are believed to have taken shelter. The SP said each bomb weighed 8-10 kg and only one such bomb was enough to blow up a police jeep. He said earlier also such explosives were recovered from this area and barely two months ago paramilitary forces and the district police had found 45 powerful IEDs. He added the Maoists are very desperate to take revenge after four of their colleagues involved in a number of cases were arrested during the last three months.
Security forces unearth 20-kg IED in Chhattisgarh
Raipur, Sep 9 (PTI) Security forces unearthed a powerful improvised explosive device (IED), planted by suspected Maoists from a village route in Chhattisgarh’s Naxal-hit Kanker district, a police official said here today. Kanker Deputy Superintendent of Police Jayant Vaishnav told PTI that the explosive which was packed in a steel container and weighed 20 kg,was seized from the Himoda-Gadra road under Antagarh police station limits. Acting on a tip-off, a Border Security Force (BSF) and district police force joint squad launched a de-mining exercise in the region located around 300 km away from the state capital, he said. After cordoning off a patch of seven kilometres of the route, they spotted the IED placed beneath a mud track averting a major mishap, the police official said.