‘Police spreading rumours of rift’
Our party does not work under limitations of caste, creed, region:
Uike the head of the Maoist organisation in South Bastar has lashed out at the government, the police and the media for “fuelling speculation and indulging in propaganda” about the alleged rift between Telugu leaders and Bastar tribal cadres of the party. “The media is being misled [by the police and the government] to spread rumours about a rift between Telugu-speaking leaders of the party and the tribals of Bastar. Are the people of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, who are working for the party, not the citizens of India?” asked Ganesh Uike, secretary of the South Regional Committee (SRC) of the banned CPI (Maoist) in a press statement.
“Many leaders and cadres of our party, who hailed from Andhra and Telangana areas, have sacrificed their lives while fighting for the rights of Bastar tribals. Our party does not work under the limitations of caste, creed, religion, sect and region,” claimed Mr. Uike, who is also a member of the Danda Karanya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC) of the Maoists.
The Maoist leader questioned the “miniscule and symbolic” importance given to some “powerless” leaders in the name of so-called representation by the mainstream political parties. Listing the names of some non-tribal senior politicians, bureaucrats, police officers, contractors and businessmen working in Bastar, the SRC secretary asked if they were the original residents of Bastar. Taking a dig at mainstream political parties, Mr. Uike said his party did not work for bureaucrats, contractors and corporate houses. “They [mainstream political parties and the government] call us anti-national. But we are the real patriots of this country and are fighting for the rights of the common people,” he claimed.
Mr. Uike accepted the “execution” of some Maoist leaders by their own party men and agreed that some senior party cadres had joined the police in the past few months in Bastar. “Some senior cadres like Mallesh and Kiran have surrendered to the police. The police are utilising these politically corrupt people to spread misinformation in the media about the discrimination against the party’s tribal cadres by its Telugu-speaking leaders. The police are also spreading lies that this discrimination is leading to the spate of surrenders which is false,” he added. On the killing of its own leaders by the party, the SRC secretary said, “The police are trying to weave a network of informers inside our party through some of our own leaders. Their aim was to target senior leaders of the party, however, we identified such traitors and destroyed the police conspiracy.”
Five senior Maoists active in the Darbha division of Bastar were killed by their own party men last month. Mr. Uike, however, said that only two of them, Badaru and Bhagat, were “executed” as per the decision of the “people’s court” and the rest were spared. “Kosi and Vagi were warned and sent back to their villages and Hurra ran away to join the police,” he said. Blaming the presence of over one lakh security troops in Bastar for the “destruction” of the social and cultural life of tribals, Mr. Uike asked the people to condemn the “anti-people” propaganda of the police. “Our party has seen many ups and downs since its inception. Be it Salwa Judum or the operation Green Hunt. But the revolutionary public does not get misled by the false propaganda and is standing behind the party to intensify the people’s war,” he claimed.
The media is misled about rift between Telugu-speaking leaders of the party and the tribals
26 naxals held in police crackdown in Chhattisgarh
RAIPUR: In a major crackdown on the outlawed CPI (Maoist), 26 Naxals have been arrested from different places in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district over past three days, police said on Wednesday. The arrested Naxals, against whom warrants were long pending, were involved in several incidents including loot, arson, murder, attacks on security personnel and triggering bomb blasts, Bijapur Additional Superintendent of Police Indira Kalyan Elesela told PTI.
Most of them were working as sangham members (lower rung), while others served in LOS (local operation squad) in the past, Elesela said. A strategy was chalked out to nab them after reviewing the arrest warrants issued against them in several Naxal-related incidents, he said. After tracing locations of the cadres, police teams were mobilised in different restive police stations limits – Gangaloor, Madded, Mirtur, Bhpalpattnam and others – located around 450 kms from the state capital Raipur, he said.
Maharashtra: Beware, naxals are at your doorsteps; CM admits to Maoist elements making inroads into urban areas
In an indication of the challenge before the state as it counters rising left-wing extremism (LWE), the Maharashtra government has admitted to Maoist elements making inroads into urban and industrial areas and touching a chord with the Dalit youth. In a written reply to a query by Jaywantrao Jadhav (NCP) in the monsoon session of the legislative council, chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, who also holds home portfolio, admitted that Maoist extremists are trying to create base in Mumbai-Nashik-Pune belt.
“It has come to light that in the urban and industrial belts in these areas, the Maoists are trying to clandestinely propagate their ideology and are creating an impression that they are raising their voice on Dalit issues and attracting Dalit youth to the Maoist movement,” noted Fadnavis. He said the ‘Naxal-promoted’ Kabir Kala Manch was being used to attract youth towards Maoist thought through art troupes and street-plays. Cases have been lodged against Naxal activists at Harsul, Mumbai, Pune and Talegaon Dabhade.
In reply to another question by Manikrao Thakre (Congress), Fadnavis said the police have been provided weapons, ammunition, communication equipment, helicopters and anti-landmine vehicles and added that area domination strategies were used to provide security to people. Apart from the paramilitary CRPF, the Cobra battalion, SRPF companies, the district police and the C-60 force have been deployed in Naxalite violence affected regions to counter the threat. Maharashtra has lost 159 police personnel since 2000 to Naxalite attacks while police have managed to kill 113 Naxalites. As many as 224 civilians were also killed by Naxalites during this period on suspicion that they were police informers.
“They are trying to capitalise on issues like Dalit atrocities and create law and order problems to bolster their ranks,” noted senior journalist Devendra Gawande, who has reported extensively from LWE affected areas and has authored the book ‘Naxalwadache Avhan’. “They are unable to get enough manpower in the rural areas and jungles and are hence shifting focus to cities,” said Gawande adding that little seems to be happening at the government’s level to check this. “Such tendencies rise because the problems of the oppressed are not solved through democratic means,” noted senior CPI leader Prakash Reddy. Former IPS officer Sudhakar Suradkar blamed the highly politicised police force for the state of affairs and noted that ‘injustice’ meted out to people is one reason why they turn to Naxalism.
Maoist call for bandh in Chhattisagarh, Bihar, Jharkhand on August 6
RAIPUR: Communist Party of India (Maoist) has cal for Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand-Bihar bandh on August 6 in protest against alleged fake encounter of their regional member in Jharkhand on July 25. In a press release issued by CPM Bihar-Jharkhand Special Area Committee, Maoists said that bandh will be observed in three states for 24 hours on August 6 in protest against the death of their regional member Dr Shivnandan Bhagat alias Sylvester Minz who was killed in alleged fake encounter by police and security forces on July 25 at Dipatoli village in Chainpur in Gumla district of Jharkhand. “Sylvester was sleeping when security forces rushed in and opened fire at him after waking him up at around 4 am following arrest of sub-zonal member comrade Dilwar.
Condemning the act of brutal killing we extend tribute to the deceased member and declare bandh in protest,” the press statement said. Although emergency services including hospitals, ambulance, medical stores and water supply won’t be disrupted, Maoists said. “While police have been proclaiming that a top Maoist commander Sylvester Minz, carrying a cash reward of Rs 15 lakh on his head, was killed in an encounter with security forces which went for around seven hours, is plainly misinterpretation of facts. A CRPF commandant, assistant commandant of CoBRA and security personnel went on tip off to the village and opened discriminate fire while there no gun battle took place that they have been claiming about, as Sylvester and Dilwar were unarmed,” reads the release.
Police often makes up the scene to circulate fake pictures in the media and in this incident too, police had clicked pictures by keeping AK 47 near dead body of Sylvester to hype the killings, Maoists alleged. Maoists vowed to take revenge on death of commander saying that his blood shed won’t go waste, nor forces can eliminate their ideology by killing commanders.
Arrested Maoist Veeramani taken to Kerala
Coimbatore: Veeramani, one of the five maoists arrested a couple of months ago from the district, was today taken to Palakkad in neighbouring Kerala, in connection with a few cases registered against him in that State. A team of police from Kerala, after submitting relevant documents and warrant to the authorities of Central Jail here, where Veeramani is lodged, taken him to produce before the District Sessions Court in Palakkad, police said. Veermani was facing three cases in the surrounding areas of Sholayur in Kerala.
All the maoists, detained under NSA, were being taken to Kerala at regular intervals in connection with cases in that state. While Roopesh, the leader of the group, is facing 20 cases, Shyna, wife of Roopesh, Kannan, Anoop and Veeramani are facing more than five cases in Kerala. The five were arrested on May 4 at Karumathampatti, some 20 kms from here by Andhra police following a joint operation by Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu police.
Prakash Mishra reviews Maoist situation in Odisha
Director General (DG) of Central reserve Police Force (CRPF) Prakash Mishra today visited Khaprakhol in Bolangir district in Odisha to review the Maoist situation in the area. Mishra visited the Harishankar CRPF camp this morning and discussed the Maoist issue with the field staff there. He has hinted at the need for further deployment of CRPF commandos at the site given the ground situation there.
Violence marks Maoist bandh in Chhattisgarh
Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) cadres went on rampage in all four Districts of south Bastar on August 4 during the South Bastar Bandh (general shutdown strike) called by the banned outfit in protest against the Land Acquisition bill, reports The Hindu. Maoists damaged National Highway 16 between Bhairamgad town and Bijapur District headquarters and also set ablaze a passenger vehicle of a private travel company near Badrela village of Bijapur. No one was injured in the incident.
Maoists also damaged the railway track between the Kaklur and Kumar Sadara stations in Dantewada District. They damaged the Dornapal-Jagargunda road in Sukma District disrupting traffic until late evening. “The Maoists also destroyed a bridge on Mukram stream near Chintalnar village of Sukma last night. This will hamper supply of ration to Jagargunda and the nearby villages,” said Dinesh Pratap Upadhyay, Deputy Inspector General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Dantewada range.
Three Naxals arrested in Jharkhand
Acting on a tip-off, Police arrested three Naxalites-[Left-Wing Extremists (LWEs)] in Hazaribagh District, reports biharprabha.com on August 4.