Chhattisgarh: Naxal Attack in Dantewada Kills Jawan; 3 Injured
At least one security force personnel was killed and three other people were injured in a Naxal attack in the Maoist belt of Dantewada in Chhattisgarh on Saturday. The attack reportedly took place in the Tumnar region of Dantewada. A Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF) personnel came under attack from Maoists who opened fire at him at the local bazaar, according to Hindustan Times. About six Naxals were involved in the attack dressed as local villagers, eyewitnesses told the newspaper. Three villagers were injured in the incident. Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh condemned Saturday’s Naxal attack.
Odisha mulling deployment of forces in western range areas
ROURKELA: Odisha Police today said it was contemplating to redeploy forces in certain areas within western range from where jawans were withdrawn due to security reasons in the past. “We will redeploy forces from where they were earlier withdrawn. As the situation has changed, we will go for proactive measures,” Director General of Police (DGP) Sanjiv Marik told reporters here.
‘Naxalite activities on the rise in Western Ghats region of Udupi’
T.V. Hegde, president of the district unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday said that naxalite activities were increasing in the villages on the Western Ghats in the border areas of Udupi district. Addressing presspersons here, he said naxalite activities had been reported from Hebri, Nadpal and Kabinale villages. A team of eight suspected naxalites headed by Mundagaru Lata was clandestinely visiting houses and demanding money upto Rs. 25,000 from big farmers in the villages in the Western Ghats.
The naxalites were taking advantage of the monsoon for their activities. “Hence, the police should increase their combing operations and curb their activities,” he said. Mr. Hegde said that after the mysterious death of a 17-year-old minor at Henberu village near Byndoor on June 17, parents were scared to send their girl children to high schools and colleges. Meanwhile, K. Annamalai, Superintendent of Police, told The Hindu that there had been a raid on a naxalite camp in Chikkamgaluru district last month.
After that there was a feeling that naxalites had dispersed and were roaming in the Western Ghats. The police had no information of their activities or operations in the district. “As far as we are concerned, there are no naxalite activities in the district. The Anti-Naxalite Force has increased its combing activities as it usually does during the monsoon,” he said. The Byndoor police station covered a lot of forest area and faced staff shortage. “We will increase the staff strength in Byndoor police station as soon as possible,” Mr. Annamalai said.
Maoist killed at Andhra-Odisha border during joint police encounter
A 20-year-old Maoist killed during a police encounter at Odisha-Andhra Pradesh border early on Saturday morning. Inspector general of police(south-west range) YK Jethwa said a joint combing operation launched by the Odisha and the Andhra Pradesh police in the morning led to exchange of fire which caused the death of the Maoist. Jethwa said that the joint operation started after a tip-off that a group of Maoists have set up camps near the villages close to the cut-off area of Malkangiri and border of Vishakhapatnam Rural district.
The joint combing team came under fire from a group of about 15 Maoists near Gabarapara village in Rangabayilu panchayat of Vishakhapatnam Rural district following which the police retaliated. Other Maoists managed to escape into the surrounding forests. Two rifles, four grenades and 11 kit bags were recovered from the body of slain Maoist. This is the second joint combing anti-Maoist operation by Andhra and Odisha police this year. Earlier in January, five Maoists were killed in the cut-off area after a joint combing operation by Greyhound force of Andhra Pradesh and Special Operations Group of the Odisha police. Sources in Malkangiri, however, apprehended that the latest encounter may lead to more villagers in cut-off area villages deserting their homes as Maoists are likely to spread terror in the area accusing them to be police informers.
Since last month, 130 families in 5 villages of Andrapalli gram-panchayat in cut-off area – one of the 8 gram-panchayats in the area that is separated from mainland Orissa for last 5 decades due to Balimela reservoir, have been deserting their homes terrorised by Maoists. After the January encounter, the Maoists have been raiding the villages at night suspecting the people to be aiding police. “The Maoists come to our homes at night and destroy our belongings. They thrash us accusing us to be be police informers,” said Sadan Pangi of Jantri village under Andrapalli GP. “We left everything. I do not know if I can return to my village now. If I return I may be killed by the rebels. I have stopped going to work,” said Dasu Mandi of the same village, who is staying in a temporary relief camp set up by the district administration at Chitrakonda block headquarters. The villages which have been deserted are Jantri, Arapadara, Sanyasiguda, Dasariguda and Dabuguda.
Local sources said 70 per cent of the population have fled fearing Maoist torture. Villagers apprehend that they might come under Maoist attack for taking shelter at the camp set up by the administration and may be tortured by the extremists on their return to their villages. Last month, Maoists took away 2 tribals – Dasu Mandi and Gopal – from Jantri vilage at night accusing them to be of police informers. A day later, the bullet-ridden body of Dasu was found in the nearby forest, but there was no trace of Gopal. The Maoists later claimed in a note that they have killed him. The rebels also set fire to several homes in the village.
5 Maoists arrested in Bihar’s Arwal district
Patna: Five Maoists were on Saturday arrested in Bihar’s Arwal district during combing operations ahead of the upcoming Assembly polls, police said. Arwal Superintendent of Police Manavjeet Singh Dhillon said they have also recovered arms and ammunition from the arrested Maoists. “A team of security forces raided Rampur Chauram village in the district and arrested after receiving a tip off,” Dhillon said. He said the arrested Maoists are being interrogated. Arwal is one of the over a dozen of the 37 districts in the state affected by the Maoists.
Bail petitions of three Maoists dismissed
Coimbatore: A local court on Friday dismissed the bail petitions moved by three Maoists lodged in the Central Jail here. Kannan, Anoop and Eswaran, who were arrested a month ago from Karumathapatti along with front-ranking leaders Roopesh and his wife Shyna, had moved bail applications in the Principal and District Sessions Court here. Hearing arguments from both prosecution and defense, Judge Pongiyappan rejected the petitions. Meanwhile, Shyna, who is lodged in a jail in Kerala, also moved a bail petition in the court, which would come for hearing on June 22.