Naxal wanted in 200 cases in three states held in MP
Dilip alias Guha Uike, a Naxal wanted in Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh for his alleged involvement in more than 200 crimes, has been arrested by the state police after an exchange of fire in the forests of Kantangtola and Kurrezodi in Balaghat district. A member of North Gadhchiroli- Gondia Division Committee, Dilip was wanted for 19 murders and 29 attempted murders in Balaghat district of MP alone. He carried a total reward of Rs 35 lakh in these three states.
Dilip, 36, had joined the Malajkhand Dalam two decades ago when he was only 16. After being a member of this Dalam, then headed by Suraj Tekam, Dilip was made security guard of Commander Vijay who headed the Korchi Dalam. In 2008, Dlip became member of the Divisional Committee (north Gadhchiroli). MP police said they had received a tip off that Dilip was seen in the jungles of Songudda on May 20. Accompanied by six-seven armed members, Dilip was seen in plain clothes. The police said when the group was cornered by search parties from Songudda its members fired at the police. While other members managed to escape in the dark, Dilip lost his weapon and was left behind.
Mahendra Karma sons get Naxal death threat
Naxals on Friday threatened to “eliminate” slain Mahendra Karma’s two sons — Chhavindra and Deepak — for initiating the move to revive anti-Naxal vigilante force Salwa Judum, founded by their late father in Chhattisgarh’s conflict zone of Bastar. In a press release issued by West Bastar division of outlawed CPI (Maoist), the rebels said, “We will kill Chhavindra Karma and Deepak Karma in ‘jan yudhh’ (people’s war) if they revived Salwa Judum in Bastar”.
Maoist leaflets threatening to kill the junior Karmas were circulated in remote Bastar region, including in areas close to the home of Karma family in the village of Farsapal in south Bastar district of Dantewada, a senior police officer posted in Bastar told this newspaper. Mahendra Karma, the founder of Salwa Judum, was brutally killed along with 26 other Congress leaders of Chhattisgarh in the Naxal ambush on their convoy at Jiram Ghati in Bastar district on May 25, 2013. Chhavindra has announced to launch a “peaceful movement” in the line of Salwa Judum under the banner of “Vikash Sangharsh Samiti” to take on Maoists in Bastar on May 25. Meanwhile, Congress in Chhattisgarh has distanced itself from the decision by Mr Chhavindra Karma, a PCC secretary, to launch Salwa Judum-2, saying the junior Karma has not intimated the party about his move.
In another development, armed red guerrillas set on fire six machineries deployed for construction of railway line at Tudparas in Dantewada district early on Thursday morning in protest against the move to revive Salwa Judum in Bastar.
Maharashtra: Naxals kill abducted youth
Naxals had killed a youth from Kolsegudam village in Aheri tehsil in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra whom they had abducted a few days ago, police said today. Naxals abducted Ravindra Shankar Sunkri (24), son of the police patil of the village, on the suspicion that he was a police informer on May 16. Police said that Ravindra had been indeed working as a special police officer between 20013 and September 2014. Around 15 armed Naxals had taken him away from his house.
Police then launched a search operation, during which there was an exchange of fire with the ultras in a forest near village Asha and some Naxals were injured. The ultras killed Ravindra to take revenge for this skirmish, a police release here said. A Naxal pamphlet found near his body said Ravindra was killed because he was working as an SPO.
Arrested Maoist leader to undergo DNA test
PUNE: Murali Kannambally (62), senior leader of the banned CPI (Maoist) outfit, who was arrested on May 8 by the anti-terrorism squad (ATS), Pune, will undergo a DNA test as part of the ongoing probe that includes fixing his identity in view of the several fake identities he used prior to his arrest. On Thursday, the court of special judge S V Mane extended the remand of Murali and his aide, Ismail Hamja CP, in ATS custody till May 25 to facilitate the probe, additional public prosecutor Vikas Shah said. “The DNA test on Murali is one of the grounds the ATS has mentioned in its report for extension of remand of the two accused,” Shah said. The ATS suspects, among other things, that Murali was involved in spreading and promoting ideology of the banned Maoist outfit and associated anti-national activities of the organization.
The ATS had seized several incriminating material including banned Maoist or Naxal literature, laptop, CPU, printer, hard disk, mobile phone handsets, sim cards, internet dongles, forged Aadhaar and PAN cards along with Rs 54,000 in cash. In a four-page remand report submitted by assistant commissioner of police Bhanupratap Barge, the ATS has mentioned that they needed to arrest Sanjay Deepak Rao of Ambernath in Thane district, who provided support and place of hiding to the two accused, and also needed to corroborate certain confidential information relating to Murali which the ATS squad had secured from Kerala where he was active. Also, two other persons are being interrogated in connection with the sim cards seized from the duo and the ATS was also investigating people who provided financial and other support to the duo.
Of the total 10 sim cards seized from the duo, five cards were secured from Maharashtra and the rest were from other states. Murali was also in touch with top Maoist leader Ganapathy, the ATS report stated. Following their arrest, the court had initially remanded them in ATS custody till May 15 and the same was extended till May 21. “The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act provides for custody remand up to total 30 days,” said Shah.
Move to revive Salwa Judum fizzles out in Bastar
RAIPUR: Amid opposition from political parties, the move to revive a ‘ Salwa Judum’ like peoples movement against Maoists in tribal Bastar region of Chhattisgarh has been fizzled out with organisers now saying that they would now organise a meeting on May 25 to pay homage Naxal attack that killed frontline Congress leaders in May 2013. Slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma’s son Chhavindra Karma and other leaders had announced on May 5 that they would convene a meeting at Faraspal in Dantewada district on May 25—the third anniversary of Bastar massacre—to chalk out strategies to re-launch a peoples’ movement against Maoist rebels. Leaders of erstwhile Salwa Judum had also supported the move.
While Maoists have threatened a bloody backlash against all those trying to revive any movement against them, mainstream political parties did not come out in open to support the proposed campaign fearing violence and bloodshed in the tribal region. Late Mahendra Karma’s son and two former Salwa judum leader Chaitram Atami and Sukhdev Tati had formed a ‘ Vikas sangharsh samiti’ to fight for the development of Bastar. In the process, they sought to project the proposed movement as the second phase of Salwa judum, a controversial movement that led to bloodshed in Bastar between June 2005 and December 2008. Then, Congress leader Mahendra Karma had spearheaded the Salwa Judum campaign. ” We are organising a meeting at Faraspal on May 25 to pay homage to Mahendra Karma and others who were killed in maoist attack in 2013″, said Chhavindra Karma.
The May five announcement to re-launch a Salwa Judum like movement had triggered protests in Bastar. Maoists began organising meetings to mobilze people against the proposed campaign while political parties including local BJP, Congress, Communist party of India (CPI) and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) went public against the call to revive such a movement. Slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma’s spouse Devti Karma is a Congress legislator while his sons are also active members of the opposition Congress. After the announcement came, AICC general secretary B K Hariprasad announced that his party has nothing to with ‘Salwa Judum’ campaign and it was not in favour any such campaign.
Being a Maoist is Not a Crime, Says Kerala High Court
KOCHI: Being a Maoist is not a crime and a person cannot be sent to custody for being one, the Kerala High Court said in a significant judgement on Friday. “Though the political ideology of a Maoist does not synchronise with constitutional polity, being a Maoist is not a crime,” said Justice A Mushtaq. “Freedom becomes unlawful when it confronts with laws of the country,” he added. The police cannot detain a person “merely because he is a Maoist” unless they find that their activities are unlawful, the judge said.
The court was giving its ruling on a petition by a man who was detained on the suspicion that he was a Maoist. Shyam Balakrishnan alleged in his petition that he was harassed by the Thunderbolt team, an elite commando force involved in counter-insurgency operations in Kerala. The court said Mr Balakrishnan should get Rs. 1 lakh as compensation.
Odisha police seeks two more BSF battalions to intensify anti-Maoist operation
KORAPUT: Seeking two more battalions of BSF jawans, Odisha Police today said it had decided to intensify the anti-Maoist operation in Koraput and Malkangiri districts. “In recent times the Maoists have lost base in Koraput and Malkangiri districts and are in the back foot. But we can’t be complacent. It has been decided to intensify our anti-Maoist operation and for it we need at least two more battalions of BSF in Koraput,” Director General of Police Sanjiv Marik told reporters here ..
Huge cache of ammunition recovered after an encounter in Jharkhand
A huge cache of ammunition was recovered from Palkot area in Gumla District following an encounter with Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) cadres on May 21, reports The Telegraph. Acting on a tip-off that Maoist ‘sub-zonal commander’ Dipakji was camping in the dense forests of Palkot, special teams, comprising State Police personnel and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel, were formed to corner the squad from all sides. As the Security Forces (SFs) neared the forests, the Maoists opened fire.
The SFs also retaliated, forcing the Maoists to flee, leaving behind a huge quantity of ammunition. “We recovered 514 rounds of 7.62mm bullets, a hand grenade, Naxalite [Left Wing Extremism (LWE)] literature, Police uniforms, backpacks and items of daily use from the encounter spot,” said Gumla Superintendent of Police (SP) Bheemsen Tuti. Though no arrest was made, bloodstains scattered at the spot suggested that a few of them might have sustained bullet injuries, Police said.
Meanwhile, armed Maoist cadres set ablaze two Hywa trucks, one JCB, one road roller and a tractor deployed in a road construction work at Parswar village under Bhandariya Police Station limits in Garhwa District on May 20, reports The Pioneer. The Maoists also badly assaulted caretaker Arjun Yadav and Surendra Gupta. According to Police, about 30 to 35 armed Maoists reached Parswar village and set ablaze the machines and dragged the caretakers out from their houses before badly assaulting them. Later, they reached at Changiya tola of the village and set ablaze road roller and a tractor there. The Maoists left the place after threatening not to start the construction work, which is being conducted by PRA constructions.
Police vigil stepped up in Maoist-affected areas in Karnataka
The Police have intensified combing operations in Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist)-affected areas of the Dakshina Kannada District where Gram Panchayat (GP) (village-level local self government institution) elections will be held on May 29, reports The Hindu. Polling will take place in 227 gram panchayats of which 65 are in Maoist-affected areas. “We are conducting area-domination exercises to infuse confidence among residents,” said Superintendent of Police Sharanappa S.D.