Revolutionary prisoners executed by the Peruvian state in Canto Grande massacre-May 1992













1. Juan Bardales Rengifo

2. Jorge Muñoz Muñoz

3. Jaime Gilberto Gutierrez Prado

4. Juan Manuel Conde Yupari

5. Carlos Jesus Aguilar Garay

6. Julio Cesar Moreno Núñez

7. Cesar Augusto Paredes Rodríguez

8. Fidel Castro Palomino

9.- Marco Ccallocunto Núñez

10.- Sergio Campos Fernández

11. Edda Vilma Aguilar Fajardo

12. Rosa Luz Aponte Inga

13. Lucio Roberto Cuadros Ullaccanqui

14. Mario Francisco Aguilar Vega

15. Maria Consuelo Rojas Barreto

16. Ruben Constantine Chihuan Basilio

17. Wilfredo Gutierrez Fheller Veliz

18. Luis Angel Llamas Mendoza

19.- Víctor Hugo Auqui Cáceres

20.- Wilmer Rodríguez León

21.- Santos Genaro Zavaleta Hipólito

22.- Yovanka Pardavé Trujillo

23.- Tito Roger Valle Travesaño

24.-Hugo Deodato Juárez Cruzatt

25.- Ana Pilar Castillo Villanueva

26.- Noemí Romero Mejía

27.- Mercedes Violeta Peralta Andazábal

28.- Janet Talavera Sánchez

29.- Elvia Nila Zanabria Pacheco

30.- Marco Wilfredo Azaña Maza

31.- Ramiro Alberto Ninaquispe Flores

32.- Andrés Agüero Garamendi

33.- Rufino Obregón Chávez

34.- Agatino Chávez Correa

35.- Julia Marlene Olivos Peña

36.- Fernando Alfredo Orozco García

37.- José Antonio Aranda Company

38.- María Villegas Regalado

39.- Elmer Jesús Lino Llanos

40.- Roberto William Rivera Espinosa

41.- Ignacio Guizado Talaverano

At 2:30 AM on May 6, 1992, over 500 soldiers and policemen surrounded the Canto Grande prison in Lima, Peru, where about 650 POW’s were being held. They claimed they were going to transfer the women POW’s to another prison. The prisoners feared that once separated they would be tortured, raped and killed individually and thus resisted the incursion. Initially the prisoners killed two policemen and took 2 submachine guns and a rifle from the attackers, using this they were able to drive the security forces out of their pavilion, this encounter left 9 prisoners dead. After the shooting the POW’s sought to negotiate with the government.

The Inter-American Human Rights Commission of the Organization of American States (IHRC) was in Lima when the attack occurred and immediately offered to negotiate a peaceful solution to the standoff. The government refused their offers to act as intermediaries and did not allow them to enter the prison to act as observers saying it was “too dangerous.” The IHRC lawyer told the government that assessing the risk was a matter for the IHRC and that international law has long established procedures for negotiating difficult and dangerous situations. The Red Cross also volunteered to help negotiate a solution to the stand off and this too was refused by the government.

After the initial shooting on May 6, 1992, the surviving female prisoners evacuated their area of the prison and concentrated themselves on Pavilion 4b where the male prisoners were being held. On May 8, 1992, a group of 5 women POW’s left the prison to attempt to negotiate a surrender whereby the prisoners would surrender to an international body such as the red cross or IHRC who would guarantee their safety before being turned over to government forces. The government refused this offer and returned one of the women to the other prisoners to deliver the rejection, the other women were taken into custody. On Saturday, May 9, 1992, close to 2,000 police and army troops armed with helicopter gunships, armored cars and heavy weapons, attacked pavilion 4b where the prisoners had barricaded themselves.

Using explosives the troops blasted their way through the top of the building. As this process was repeated on each floor, the prisoners would evacuate it and retreat to the floor below. When they were finally on the ground floor the decision was made to surrender. According to the IHRC report, a number of prisoners were shot and killed while surrendering or after they had surrendered, this was the case with several important PCP leaders (all high ranking PCP leaders were killed in the attack). Prisoners who had been wounded in the initial May 6 attack had not been allowed to receive medical treatment and those who survived the May 8 assault did not receive immediate medical attention. The only civilian present during the government attack was a prosecutor.

This entry was posted in Editor's desk, prisons, resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.