CRPF jawan killed in landmine blast in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A CRPF jawan was killed in a landmine blast in Chhattisgarh’s naxal-inflected Bijapur district on Saturday, police said. R Govasdhan Reddy, belonging to E company of 222 battalion of CRPF, was killed after he stepped on a pressure bomb, planted underneath the land by naxals in the interior forests of Sarkeguda village under Basguda police station limits, DIG (Intelligence) Dipanshu Kabra, told PTI. The officer said a team of CRPF jawans was sent for patrolling in the forest area on Saturday and when they reached near Sarkeguda village, Reddy stepped up on the bomb, triggering an explosion.
Soon after getting the information, additional police force was rushed to the spot and Reddy was rescued. He was admitted to Bijapur district hospital, where scummed to injuries during treatment, Kabra said. Security forces have been alerted in the region and efforts are on to nab the ultras responsible for the blast, he added.
Andhra Pradesh to review policy on tackling naxal problem
Hyderabad: After the bifurcation, the Andhra Pradesh government has decided to revise its Naxal policy. It has constituted the high-powered Cabinet sub-committee to deal with the Naxalite problems in the state. The committee will be headed by the finance minister. Other members include ministers for home, revenue, tribal welfare and roads and buildings. The principal secretary to the government (political), general administration department, is the convener of the committee. It will look into the issues of tackling the problems of extremism and evolve new policy initiatives if needed.
It will also review rehabilitation of surrendered extremists and review the implementation of the payment of ex-gratia to the next of kin of the persons killed in extremist violence. AP chief secretary I.Y.R Krishna Rao said all top-level decisions will be prioritised. The committee will review the implementation of the policy of payment of ex-gratia to the damages caused to the houses and movable properties etc due to extremist violence.
Recent Maoist Attacks Keeping Tourists Away from Wayanad
KALPETTA: The suspected Maoist attacks at two different locations in Wayanad recently have reportedly choked the inflow of both domestic and foreign tourists to the district. The attack on a private jungle resort at Thirunelly, in particular, has had an adverse impact on tourism activities, with large groups of tourists cancelling their bookings from December to January, which is supposed to be the peak tourism season, say sources in the tourism industry. The exchange of fire between an armed gang and Thunderbolts commandos in the forest near Vellamunda last week is also expected to have seriously affected the prospects of tourism in the district, despite the fact that the incident occurred in a remote area not frequented by tourists.
Anti-Maoist Operations Intensified by Police
THRISSUR: Thrissur district rural police have intensified anti-Maoist operations on the outskirts of the district in the wake of the exchange of fire between Maoists and Kerala police, in Wayanad, last week. “We have conducted a joint combing operation, along with Thunderbolt, the elite commando force of the Kerala police, in the forest areas close to Thrissur, particularly Chimmony and Peechi reserve forest areas, as part of a routine exercise on Friday. Barring wild elephants, nothing suspicious was found inside the forest, said city police commissioner Jacob Job. The district police administration has already spruced up the security around the police stations on the forest fringes following the attack.
“This is a precautionary measure in the backdrop of frequent citing of suspected Maoist movements in different parts of the state,” he said. According to the police, they had circulated the pictures of Maoist leaders, including Roopesh and his wife Shyna. The intelligence agencies also consider the forests on the outskirts of Thrissur as safe havens for the Maoists to extend their operations as it provides easy access to various locations including Tamil Nadu.
The Central Reserve Police Mess
The CRPF is so ill-prepared to fight Maoists, it is a miracle its troops are not deserting en masse
For 15 days, since November 15, more than 2,000 troops from six battalions of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) had been venturing out to conduct SADO — Search and Destroy Operation(s) — in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district. The troops, roughly divided into ten groups, would traverse villages that are considered Maoist strongholds: Polampalli, Kankerlanka, Puswada, Jaggawaram, Korapad, Kanrajgubbal, Rangaiguda, Degalmetta, Ramaram, Pidmel, and Chintagufa.
Since they had no intelligence inputs, the troops were asked to engage Maoists if they ever came in contact. There is a very little possibility of such chance encounters unless the Maoists themselves want to engage the CRPF. In their strongholds, the Maoists have no dearth of human intelligence through their sympathisers. In fact, several arrested Maoists have revealed to the security agencies how their squads had passed less than 100 metres away from CRPF troops without being detected.
The CRPF has, in the last few months, tried desperately to win over the local population in these areas through civic action programmes. Their men distribute items like transistors, cycles, and saris among the people. But in Maoist strongholds such as in Sukma, many adivasis do not accept them. On Independence Day this year, some of these items were handed over forcibly to adivasis in several villages. But, according to a CRPF officer, many of them threw away these items at the periphery of the village and ran away.
Azad case adjourned
Hearing of arguments on a petition seeking registration of a murder case against the policemen who participated in the alleged fake encounter killing of Maoist Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad and journalist Hemchandra Pandey on July 2 in Adilabad district has been adjourned to December 23.