70% Chhattisgarh Naxal surrenders are neither ‘Naxal’ nor ‘surrenders’
Chitu Sori of Kodenar village in Kondagaon district is a farmer. On June 26, police declared that the 25-year-old had “surrendered” with several fellow villagers. This was the beginning of an unprecedented run of “surrenders” by Maoists in Chhattisgarh this year. In his records, however, Sori is merely shown to have provided occasional help to Maoists. He returned to his village after the “surrender” and continues living there. Among the residents of Atulpara village in Sukma who “surrendered” on August 19 were Barse Deva, Madkam Deva and Podiyam Deva. Like many tribals of Bastar, they had long-pending warrants against them, with police often booking villagers in bulk on any suspicion.
These warrants were never executed, but this year, the three say, police proposed that if they “surrendered”, the warrants would be withdrawn. A resident of Chingnar village of Narayanpur, Dayaram Nag provided rations occasionally to Maoists. On September 14, he was among those who “surrendered”. Chaitram Salam had worked with the Maoists for some years but for a while now had been living in Narayanpur, when police asked him to “surrender” on August 25 in lieu of some benefits.
Going by the Chhattisgarh Police’s records, none of the above cases from Bastar is eligible to be called a “surrendered Maoist”. They are not alone. Between June 1 and November 28, a total of 377 alleged Maoists are reported to have surrendered in the Maoist-dominated Bastar division, 155 in November alone. A scrutiny of police records and meetings with these “surrendered” Maoists show that at least 270 of the 377 are actually ordinary villagers or routine criminals not eligible to be termed “surrendered Maoists”.
Forces, Naxals exchange fire; laptop seized from hideout
Raipur: Security forces have seized some electronic items, including a laptop and a mobile phone, from a Maoist transit hideout in Chhattisgarh’s insurgency-hit Narayanpur district after an exchange of fire with the cadres, police said on Sunday. The face-off took place between village Irdvaya and Bhattebeda under Orcha police limits yesterday, Narayanpur Additional Superintendent of Police O P Sharma said. A joint squad of District Force (DF), Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF) and Special Task Force (STF) was carrying out a search operation in Orchha region of Abhujmad, located around 350 km from the state capital. Sensing that security personnel have landed near the Irdavaya forests, rebels opened indiscriminate firing on them following which security forces retaliated, the ASP said.
After the gunfight that lasted for around an hour, rebels fled to the core forests, he said. During a search of the encounter site, a laptop, a mobile set, a solar panel, couple of batteries, Naxal uniforms and Maoist-related materials were recovered, he said, adding that blood stains found at the spot indicated that some ultras might have been killed or injured in the gun-battle. After being informed about the incident, reinforcement was rushed to the spot, he said.
Two Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh encounter
Two suspected Maoists were killed in an encounter with the police in Bijapur district of south Chhattisgarh on Monday. According to Mr.R.K.Vij, the Additional Director General ( ADG) of Police, Anti-Naxal operations, Chhattisgarh, the encounter took place when a Maoist camp was raided by the police in Gangaloor area of Bijapur district. “Two Maoists were killed and printing and training material was seized from the spot. We have recovered the dead bodies of deceased Maoists,” informed Mr.Vij. “One SLR (Self Loading Rifle) and one country made rifle was also recovered from the spot of the encounter. We have taken two persons in our custody after the encounter but their credentials are yet to be verified,” said Bastar IG SRP Kalluri.
Maoists gun down ‘informer’
Gaya: Maoists gunned down Md Shabbir, a resident of Naxal-hit Dumaria police station area of the district. The ultras, on Saturday abducted the villager from his house located near the police camp in Chakarbandha. Shabbir’s bullet-ridden body was recovered from the forest on Sunday. The Maoists, as per reports , suspected Shabbir of being a police informer. The slain villager had been active in facilitating social work done by the security forces as part of the social out reach programme of the CRPF to gain the confidence of the villagers of Naxal-affected area. The CRPF, a few months back undertook solar lighting of the village and Md Shabbir, according to sources, was very active in facilitating .
The Maoists, regard Dumaria as a ‘liberated zone’ implying thereby that the writ of the Red rebels and not the state machinery ran large in the area. Confirming the recovery of Shabbir’s body, City SP Rakesh Kumar said the slain man was not a police informer. The City SP also said as per inputs received by the police, Shabbir was killed by the Maoists.
Paramilitary forces demand better roads in Odisha
: The Border Security Force (BSF) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have sought improvement of 18 critical roads in left wing extremist-affected pockets in Odisha. Of the 12 road projects, the BSF wants the Odisha government to take up seven roads in Koraput district alone. Similarly, Malkanagiri and Nabarangpur districts have three and two such road projects, respectively. The CRPF has suggested development of six road projects in Nuapada, Kalahandi, Keonjhar and Sundargarh districts. Most of these roads would help facilitate operational flexibility to security forces in carrying out combing and anti-naxal operations. Road development in naxal-affected districts especially Malkanagiri, Gajapati, Koraput, Rayagada and Nabarangpur involves security-related issues.
4 can bombs recovered from Bokaro in poll-bound Jharkhand
Four can bombs were recovered from Bokaro district in Jharkhand on Monday. Security forces recovered the bomb from Chargi jungle during an anti-naxal operation in the district. The bombs have been found just a day before the third phase of Assembly polls in Jharkhand.
Maoists, police exchange fire in Wayanad in Kerala
Maoist ultras and state police exchanged fire in the hilly Wayanad District in north Kerala today. However, no one was injured, police sources said. According to police, it was Maoists who first fired at the Thunderbolt team of Kerala Police, specially trained in tackling the ultras. Police had gone to Chappa tribal colony at Vellamunda in Wayanad district when the Maoists sought to resist them by firing. As the police retaliated, the ultras ran away into deep forests. Confirming the incident, Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said security has been stepped up in Wayanad district by deploying additional forces.
Police intensify search operation after suspected Maoist attack in Kerala’s Wayanad district
Police have intensified search operations in the forest regions in North Kerala’s Wayanad district following Sunday’s exchange of fire between police and suspected Maoist activists. On Sunday evening, police had fired several rounds at a Maoist gang in a forest tract under Vellamunda police limits in Wayanad. Since the above-stated forest belt is situated close to forest regions in Kozhikode and Kannur districts, police forces from those districts too are engaged in the combing operations in their respective areas, police said. Kerala’s special police force, Thunderbolt, is assisted by local police. As last night’s search drew nothing, more forces have joined the operation on Monday morning.
TN police tightens vigil in forest areas bordering Kerala
Tamil Nadu Police have tightened vigil in the forest areas of Nilgiris district bordering Kerala and Tamil Nadu to prevent infiltration of Maoists from the neighbouring state in the wake of exchange of fire between ultras and police in Kerala’s Wayanad district. Search operations by a team led by Nilgiris district Superintendent of Police Senthil Kumar with sophisticated weapons inside the jungles were underway, police said. Checking has been intensified in the border areas and checkposts with deployment of additional forces, police said.
Vigil has been stepped up in areas like Nadugani, Kakkanallah, Ovalley, Bidirkadui, Ayyankolli, Cherampadi and Mudumalai, even as armed police forces were on alert at all the police stations, they said, adding, vehicle checks were also intensified to prevent them from crossing to Tamil Nadu.
Manipur Maoist to launch cleanliness campaign
IMPHAL, December 7: The outlawed Maoist Communist Party of Manipur will launch a campaign `Clean Manipur, Grow Green with Revolutionary Path” from December 30 onwards with a mission to maintain cleanliness in Manipur. According to a statement signed by its secretary of Publicity and Propaganda, Nonglen Meitei, the campaign will first begin from Imphal area and will spread out across the State. It said the campaign is to commemorate the escape of Sapamcha Kangleipal from the jail on December 30, following his arrest by the State government of Manipur.
The statement continued that Kangleipal, who was the president of the youth organisation, Manipur Forward Youth Front, MAFYF played an important role as a leader of the youth front. It said MAFYF as a youth organisation had taken revolutionary role in shaping the future of Manipur. Further it maintained that MAFYF had launched struggles against human rights violation committed by the security forces in the State. It also recalled the self-immolation protest by its five members in front of the State Chief Minister’s bungalow against the brutal killing of Thangjam Manorama by security forces. MAFYF as a youth organisation since its inception had also taken out drives against drug abuse, it also took out humanitarian work like medical camps in far-flung areas of Manipur, said the statement.
The statement also maintained that MAFYF had been able to bring about a revolutionary consciousness not only among the youths, but also among different sections of the population. In short, the people of Manipur consider MAFYF as the founding organisation of Maoist Communist Party of Manipur, it added. It also charged that the Imphal Municipal Council has not been doing its duty properly, instead the Council has been embezzling huge amount of money meant for maintaining Imphal city neat and clean.
Villagers back Maoists claim:
‘CRPF used us as ‘human shields’
Villagers of Lai in Jharkhand’s Latehar district have backed CPI (Maoist) spokesperson Koel Sankh Zone’s claim that CRPF personnel used villagers, including women and children, as “human shields” during an encounter on November 26. Following the encounter, security forces had taken eight men and detained them for two days before releasing them without levelling any charges. Of them, three belonged to the Parhariya tribe, classified as a Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group. Latehar SP Michael S Raj denied the charge, calling it propaganda by Maoists.
The Lai encounter had taken place when CRPF and CoBRA personnel who were returning after providing security at Manika constituency for the first phase of the Assembly polls were attacked. According to a CPI (Maoist) leader identifying himself only as ‘Manasji’, the encounter had gone on from 8.30 am till around 4 pm, with the Maoists burning eight tractors carrying CRPF supplies before retreating. There were no injuries on either side, and the only ones who suffered were the villagers, Manasji said. Lai has 85 households and a population of around 400. Manti Kumari (18), who lives closest to the site of the encounter, shows the four bullet holes in the walls of her house.
She says four-five CRPF personnel had arrived at her door an hour into the encounter. “They began slapping me and my sister,” she says, calling the two of them Maoists and telling them to strip. “We refused.” Jagdish Pahariya says the CRPF found three countrymade guns at his house which he kept for security while hunting. “But they dragged me and my son out and started beating us,” says the 60-year-old. Kaleshwar Parhaiya (51) claims to have been hit with the butt of a rifle, while wife Indermani Devi was allegedly beaten with lathis. As the security forces left, allege villagers, they took along some of them as “shelter”. “They made us stand in a (horizontal) line and walked behind us,” says Sushil.
“When the Maoists saw us, they began shooting. The bullets passed overhead,” Sushil said. Manasji, however, said the PLGA had stopped shooting on spotting the villagers. “Lai is a region where the Maoists enjoy immense support. They have forced the villagers to make these claims,” said SP Raj.
Police went on rampage in Chhattisgarh villages, say residents
Reprisal for protest against ‘illegal detention’ of woman, say residents For almost a week now, Bhime Kawasi (45), a resident of Chota Tongpal village in Sukma district of South Chhattisgarh is being fed by her neighbours. “Police personnel beat me up with the gun-butts when I tried to stop them from detaining my brother” claimed Bhime showing the plaster on her hands and legs. According to the villagers of Chota Tongpal, Jangampal and Bade Gurbe, which fall under the jurisdiction of the Kukanar police station, over 150 police personnel entered their villages, ransacked their houses and detained 26 villagers. “When we tried to protest, they [security personnel] attacked us including the women and children,” said Mose, a resident of Jangampal village claiming that she was also stripped and beaten up.
Villagers allege that the “police attacks” were in response to a protest, which the people of these three villages launched against the alleged illegal detention of Sukadi Mandavi of Bade Gurbe village on November 20. “Police wanted to arrest and implicate me in some Maoist violence cases, but I was not at home so they picked up my wife,” Sukadi’s husband Ayata Mandavi told The Hindu. Ayata also claimed that he had no contact with the Maoists and that Bastar range Inspector General (IG) SRP Kalluri was threatening him.
Sukadi was let off after continuous protests for three days by the villagers who had surrounded Kukanar police station. “But then the villagers were subjected to inhuman treatment because they protested against the illegal police action. Out of 26 villagers detained by the police, 11 were released, but 15 have been implicated in Maoist-related offences and have been sent to Dantewada jail. Over 12 women have suffered fractures,” claimed Jangampal Sarpanch Mudakram Sodi. Ayata said that he had not been able to stay in his house in Bade Gurbe due to the “fear” of police.
Maoists-trigger landmine blast in Andhra Pradesh
Cadres of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) set off two landmines near Nakkapalli in GK Veedhi mandal (administrative unit) in Visakha Agency area (Vishakhapatnam district) in Andhra Pradesh on December 5, reports The Hindu. A combing party which was targeted by the Maoists escaped the attack. None of its members was hurt. The landmine blast came to light on December 6 and was the first violent incident the Maoists had resorted to after its annual People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army (PLGA) week commenced.
CPI-M banner found in remote village in Karnataka
A banner and pamphlets, allegedly exhorting tribals and forest-dwellers to celebrate the 10th founding anniversary of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist), was found at Kabbinale village near Hebri in Udupi District of Karnataka on December 6, reports The Hindu. According to the Hebri Police, the banner and pamphlets were found by policemen during their rounds.