Private resort at Tirunelly vandalised
A group of people, suspected to be Maoists, vandalised a private resort at Tirunelly in the early hours of Tuesday. The local police said six persons barged into the Agraharam resort and broke the windowpanes of the resort’s office building, staff quarters and reception centre. They destroyed the furniture, a computer, printer, and a phone kept in the office. They fled after sticking wall-posts demanding land for landless tribesmen and opposing cultivation of mushrooms in the resort.
The posters also declared celebration of the 10th anniversary of the CPI (Maoist), the police said. The resort suffered loss to the tune of Rs.2 lakh in the attack, the police added. Senior police officers, including District Police Chief Putta Vimaladitya, visited the resort. “We could not identify which group was involved in the attack. A case has been registered,” Mr. Vimaladitya said. The police have strengthened security measures in the area.
Suspected Maoist youths detained by ATS, released
Court records statements of duo and lets them off with warning; they were allegedly spreading Naxalite ideology. The Pune unit of the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) produced two youths, suspected of having Naxalite links, in the court of first class magistrate P H Ingale, who got their statements recorded ‘in camera’ before letting them off with a warning. The duo, identified as Shubham and Shahrukh, are in their twenties and studying in city colleges.
Both were released without being arrested due to the absence of any substantial evidence. Allegedly, both were engaged in small jobs and had been influenced by Maoist ideology. Also, the two were supposed to help in spreading the Naxalite movement in Pune city and its surrounding areas, especially at places where Dalits are in a majority. So, ATS had issued notices to the two under Section 164 CrPC, asking them to appear in the magistrate’s court.
The magistrate asked Shubham and Shahrukh a series of questions about their involvement in Naxalite activities as well as about their alleged relations with past incidents of violence in Naxalite-affected Gadchiroli and Chandrapur areas. They were also asked to specify whether they had any connection with the killings. Although advocates Wajed-Khan Bidkar and Tosif Shaikh, representing other Maoist suspects, confirmed the detention of the two youths, they refused to give details about the trial or the charges pressed against the duo. \
“The duo was produced under preventive action and released with some warnings. Considering the age of the suspects and the possibility of their reformation, they were not framed either by the ATS or the court,” said an ATS source. The detention (which ATS refused to call it so) of Shubham and Shahrukh comes within a couple of months of the arrest of the suspected Maoist couple, Arun Bhelke (38) and his wife, Kanchan Nalawade alias Bhoomi (35)
Shortage of security forces worries railway admn
RANCHI: Despite intelligence agencies’ warnings of possible Maoist violence during elections, railway divisions are facing security issues due to acute shortage of security personnel (RPF). “We do not have enough men to guard passenger trains. With a large chunk of them deployed for poll duties, the situation is worse,” said Bhawani Shankar Nath, the RPF regional security commandant of Ranchi railway division under South Eastern Railway (SER).
As many as 10 companies of RPF from the SER have been roped in for election duties that begin from November 25. Similar situation persists in East Central Railway (ECR). With the Maoists desperate to leave their mark during polls, the railways have time and again been attacked by the Maoists in Jharkhand, killing people and damaging property. State intelligence agency has already warned railway officials of a terror attempt in coming days.
3-day police custody for AU professor
Associate Professor of Andhra University J. Appa Rao and three others, who were arrested on charge of providing explosives to the banned CPI (Maoist), were granted police custody for three days from Monday by the court of the Special Judicial First Class Magistrate (prohibition and excise), which is also designated court for Maoist cases. Magistrate of the court S. Aruna Sri granted police custody and the orders were served on the police and the accused, lodged in the Central Jail on Tuesday.
However, when the police led by ASP of Narsipatnam went to jail in the morning, Prof. Appa Rao refused to come along since the order did not specify the venue of police interrogation, his advocate N.H. Akbar said. In the order Ms. Aruna Sri while granting police custody from 6 p.m. on November 17 to 6 p.m. on November 20 directed the police not to use any third degree methods against the accused and not to cause injuries to them. The accused were allowed to take the assistance of their legal counsel during the investigation. The police should produce the accused before the court on November 20 after getting them examined by a medical officer.
Maoists set ablaze BJP’s election campaign vehicle in Jharkhand
Suspected cadres of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) set ablaze a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)”s election campaign vehicle seeking votes for party candidate at Patgachha village under Gumla Police Station area in Gumla District in the evening of November 18, reports The Times of India. Party”s campaign materials being carried in the vehicle were also burnt by the Maoists who warned people campaigning for the BJP of dire consequences if they do it again.
The Maoists have announced a complete poll-boycott in the District where polling will take place on November 25. “The Maoists stopped the vehicle (Bolero) and asked announcers sitting inside it to get down. They asked them why they were campaigning despite poll boycott and burnt the vehicle in front of them and also threatened them with life,” Gumla Superintendent of Police (SP) Bheemsen Tuti said. The Maoists, however, did not hurt anyone. “The persons seeking votes ran for safety and later reported the matter to police. An investigation has been launched into the incident,” SP Tuti said.