Maoists threaten Jharkhand bandh
A senior Maoist leader involved in a deadly attack on security forces last year has been allegedly arrested but police have denied holding him, prompting the rebels to call a state-wide shutdown on Monday unless the authorities quickly produce him in public. Sushil Ganju, self-styled zonal commander of the CPI-Maoists, is said to have led the Katiya massacre in which 14 security personnel were killed. The government had announced a reward of Rs.3 lakhs for his capture.
Deenbandhu, the secretary of the CPI-Maoists’ Koyal Sangh Zone who uses only one name, called up HT to say Ganju was arrested along with a woman companion early on Saturday in Gumla. He said he feared the police could kill the arrested leader in a staged shootout. While the police did not officially confirm the arrest, sources in the department told Hindustan Times that Ganju was picked up following a joint operation by security forces.
A senior police officer in Gumla, who is not authorised to talk to the media, said: “Ganju was arrested from Katkahi village under Chainpur police station.” Others police sources said they had learnt that the woman arrested along with Ganju was probably his girlfriend. During interrogation, Ganju had allegedly admitted to leading the Katiya operation in Latehar district last year. In the attack, Maoists had, for the first time, surgically implanted IED in the abdomen of two CRPF troopers. Ganju also admitted he and his fighters had been assigned the task of cornering security forces, killing them and snatching their weapons, police sources said. “He told us that his seniors had specifically directed him not to damage the bodies of the troopers so that surgical implantation of IEDs could be carried out,” said a police source.
Maoists call for Telangana bandh on November 8
HYDERABAD: The Communist Party of India (Maoist) announced its return to action in Telangana on Saturday by calling for a one-day bandh on November 8 to protest the ‘inept policies’ of the TRS government that is resulting in farmer suicides. In a statement, the party’s North Telangana Special Zone Committee (NTSZC) spokesperson Jagan said that chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao had claimed that Naxalites were true patriots during his election campaign and that he would implement their agenda when he comes to power. On the contrary, KCR was behaving in the same manner as the earlier chief ministers by trying to suppress free speech, Jagan said.
The Maoist leader also charged KCR with making irresponsible statements blaming the previous governments for not being able to supply farmers with at least three hours of power every day. The CPI (Maoist) also held the chief minister responsible for the spate of suicides in the past few months. “KCR has been making statements that the power situation would be the same for the next three years. This has resulted in depression among farmers who have been taking their lives,” the statement said. The government has to take responsibility for the suicides numbering more than 265 so far in the past few months, the statement said and requested people from all sections of society to join the bandh.
Don’t facilitate surrender of our cadre, Maoists tell scribes
SRC secretary terms Maoist surrenders in Bastar as ‘fake and engineered’
The banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) has warned journalists working in Chhattisgarh against helping the police in carrying out surrender of Maoist cadres. “We appeal to the journalist brothers to condemn the fake surrenders and stop encouraging those who have deceived the people’s movement. The journalists who support the surrendered Maoists will be termed as ‘anti-people’ by the party,” said Ganesh Uike, secretary of the South Regional Committee (SRC) of the CPI(Maoist), in a press statement. The Maoist leader criticised senior journalist and president of Bastar press club Karrimuddin for giving “financial assistance” to a surrendered Maoist cadre a few days ago. “Karrimuddin is a senior journalist. It does not behove him to encourage those (surrendered Maoists) who have deceived the people’s movement. He should not repeat this,” said the Maoist leader.
The banned outfit had killed two journalists working Bastar last year accusing them of being “police informers”. The SRC secretary termed the spate of Maoist surrenders in Bastar in the past few months as “fake and engineered”. “The new surrender policy is acting as a tool for corrupt police and paramilitary officers to loot money. The police and administration is misleading the media about surrenders. Common people and activists working in Bastar are threatened with arrest and are asked to pose as surrendered Maoists. In many cases, former Maoists, who quit the party many years ago, are being re-arrested,” claimed Ganesh Uike, whose name has figured in almost all the major incidents of violence against police in the last five to 10 years. Mr. Uike alleged that in the past few months Bastar police and paramilitary forces had killed many civilians and branded them as Maoists.
“Three women members of the PLGA were caught and tortured before being killed. Bastar IG S.R.P. Kalluri is misleading the media. The journalists should not believe the police version on surrenders and encounters. We appeal our journalist brothers to come to the spot and verify facts before writing,” added the press statement. The Maoists party secretary also appealed the journalists to stop “defaming” the CPI(Maoist) for “red terror”. “We are not terrorists, but we are patriots and we are fighting for the people. We are standing against many multinational companies, preventing them from snatching land from tribal people. The media should support us rather than supporting the ‘exploiter’ government,” said the Maoist leader calling for “Dandakaranya bandh” on November 8 against the Narendra Modi government’s “ Brahmnic and fascist policies”. Mr. Karrimuddin has denied the allegations and said that he was just giving reward money to a surrendered Maoist at a ceremony.
Tribals allege high handedness by ANF personnel in naxal affected areas
MANGALURU: Concerns about alleged high handedness of Anti-Naxal Force in naxal affected areas of DakshinaKannada district came to the fore at the monthly SC/ST meeting organised by DakshinaKannada district police here on Sunday. Adivasi Rakshana Samanvaya Samiti,and Dalita Hakkugala Horata Samiti, Belthangady drew attention of Superintendent of Police Sharanappa SD to what they termed are outright atrocities by ANF on tribal settlers.
Vittal Malekudiya of Adivasi Rakshana Samanvaya Samiti said ANF personnel visit tribal hamlets in Belthangady and put pressure on them to leave the forest and seek rehabilitation outside. Specifically pointing that ANF team lead by Mahesh was involving in such acts; Vittal said ANF personnel recently had entered Malekudiya hamlets when all the men there had come to the district headquarters to take part in a protest on forest rights. ANF personnel are also demanding keys to the only anganwadi at Kuriyadi, he said, adding that it is surprising to see the force don the role of NGO and carry out acts that a NGO headed by Ramachandra Bhat is doing in the area.
ANF personnel also harass shopkeepers whenever youths from Malekudiya hamlets come to Belthangady for provisions keeping tabs on the quantity of items that the tribals are purchasing for their sustenance in forest. Shekar said while the tribals have no issues about ANF doing their duty, tribals and others who are spearheading their cause will not take it lying down if the force continued with their persecution of the tribals. “ANF is putting pressure on the tribals not to participate in any democratic agitations organised to highlight their plight,” he said adding such acts of ANF will only succeed in driving the tribals in to the welcome arms of the naxalites.