Reds kill two ahead of Martyrs’ Week
KORAPUT: Maoists on Friday killed two persons, including a village headman, in Malkangiri district on charges of working as police informers, a day after special director general of BSF B D Sharma visited the district to take stock of ongoing anti-Naxalite operations ahead of Martyrs’ Week observed by the rebels. Each year, the Maoists observe the week from July 28 to August 3 to pay homage to their companions killed in police encounters.
On Friday early morning, a group of armed rebels swooped down on Badliguda village in Kalimela police limits around 2 am and dragged village headman Ganga Madkami and another villager, Deba Padiami, out of their houses and shot them. “They were beaten up before being shot from close range. Both of them died instantly. The bodies have been recovered and autopsy will be conducted,” said SP (Malkangiri) Akhileswar Singh.
A Maoist letter recovered from the crime spot said the two was terrorizing people and working as police informers. “Ganga and Deba passed information to police on our organization. They terrorized our cadres in villages and used to urge them to surrender. Warnings were issued to them to mend their ways, but they didn’t pay heed to that. So, they were punished,” read the one-page letter written in Odia and signed by the secretary of Malkangiri Divisional Committee of the CPI (Maoist), Poonam Chandra.
Maoists disrupt Aadhaar enrolment in Odisha’ Malkangiri district
Armed Maoists on Friday abducted four enrollers from a Aadhaar camp in Malkangiri district, releasing them with a warning to stop the process, a senior official said on Saturday. Armed rebels on Friday stormed into a Aadhaar enrollment camp at Marigata village, over 750 kms from here, and took with them four enrollers, state director of census operations Bishnupada Sethi told IANS. The enrollers were released about six hours later with a warning to stop the enrollments in the area, he said.
The rebels however snatched laptop computers and obtained passwords from enrollers to access Aadhaar enrollments data of the region, Sethi said. The rebels through the enrollers have also sent a three-page letter asking that the enrollment drive be immediately scrapped. “We have suspended the Aaadhaar enrollment in the region after the incident,” Sethi said.
Bail refused to suspected maoist languishing in Madurai jail for a year
MADURAI: The Madurai bench of the Madras high court on Friday denied bail to suspected maoist M Balamurugan who has been lodged at the Madurai Central prison for one year, after the ‘Q’ branch police strongly opposed his bail. When his petition came up before justice K Kalyanasundaram on Friday, the prosecution side told the court about the petitioner’s past action and if he was granted bail, he would escape from the country and would not cooperate with the investigation.
The prosecution told the court further that the special task force encircled the naxalites who stayed in a camp at Ramar Sugarcane grove behind the Palluthur Forest in Varusanadu region, after getting a tip-off on weapons training. After an exchange of fire, the team arrested five people including Balamurugan. The lower court in Theni released him on conditional bail in 2009 after it considered his two years stay in prison. But, he failed to oblige the conditions. He was on run for nearly five years. Thereafter, he surrendered at the judicial magistrate court in May 2013. Since then, he is in Madurai Central prison.