Chand’s document pours cold water on CPN-Maoist plans
KATHMANDU: With CPN-Maoist Secretary Netra Bikram Chand’s decision to challenge the party line, the CPN-M’s course of action has gone for a toss. The party, which was almost done with preparations for its national conference to begin from July 10, has been diverted after Chand told leaders that organisational setting was directly related to the party’s line and should also be an issue. Chand’s decision to challenge Chairman Mohan Baidhya came after he heard Baidhya’s explanation.
The leaders, however, claim his document was prepared long ago. The party’s decision to hold a national conference to expand its 43-member central committee to 99-members and strengthen the organisational setting has been stalled. “Chand’s document has ruined the party’s plan. The central committee meeting organised to finalise preparations for the national conference has decided to hold a special national convention after Chand’s objection,” said alternate central member Lekhnath Neupane.
The party’s scheduled national conference will, however, be converted into a national political training for senior cadres and leaders as soon as the party concludes the central committee meeting and plenum. “Since Chand demanded a change in the party’s line, we have decided to hold a special national convention within a year as any lower body has no authority to change the decision taken by the convention,” said another Secretary Dev Gurung.
Chand has raised issues which are strategically important and they should be addressed through national convention. Sources claimed that Chand has proposed a unique people’s war in the country, which does not match the practices the world over. There will be discussion on Chand’s idea for people to understand its pros and cons, besides its necessity and feasibility. The ongoing plenum that includes alternate central committee members and party advisers, will give necessary suggestions regarding Chand’s brief political document, excluding the debate on the party line and then devise plans and programmes for the movement to create pressure for a pro-people constitution. According to an alternate central member Neupane, the plenum will conclude by tomorrow. After the meeting ends, the party will launch a massive political training throughout the nation from August to explain the party’s decisions to lower level committees.
Singapore doubles riot police after guest worker fracas
Singapore is doubling the size of its frontline anti-riot forces and stepping up surveillance after a rampage by Indian workers exposed police weaknesses following four decades of strict social order. Interior Minister Teo Chee Hean told parliament on Monday that the police would add 300 new officers to its elite Special Operations Command (SOC), which also functions as an anti-terrorism unit. The measure is in line with recommendations from an official inquiry into the causes of the December 8, 2013 riot which left 39 people injured and 25 vehicles destroyed.
The riot started after an estimated 400 Indian workers erupted in anger as a compatriot was crushed to death under a bus in Singapore’s congested Little India district. The inquiry report said the incident exposed weaknesses in the police force, including in its communications structure as well as training and staffing. “A riot on the streets of Singapore is unacceptable,” Teo, who is also deputy prime minister, said in a media statement released late Monday.
Cameroon raises salaries as it faces opposition to fuel subsidy cuts
YAOUNDE (Reuters) – Cameroon raised the base salary for government workers and the military on Monday and entered negotiations with transport workers in an effort to head off potential social unrest after it cancelled fuel subsidies last week in a bid to cut costs. The government announced it was ending subsidies on petrol, diesel and cooking gas last Monday, pushing up the price of petrol by 14 percent and diesel by 15 percent. Gas rose 8 percent.
Eight freed, five convited in Sudan protest,arson trial
A Sudanese judge on Tuesday threw out charges against eight men accused of arson and looting during demonstrations last September, but five others were convicted. Thousands of people took to the streets with calls for the downfall of President Omar al-Bashir’s regime after he slashed petrol subsidies, forcing up pump prices by more than 60 percent. It was the worst urban unrest of his 25-year rule. Thirteen defendants were on trial for the burning and looting of a police station in North Khartoum, in one of the longest-running cases stemming from the demonstrations.
Judge Al-Gahir Majzoub found eight people not guilty but sentenced the others to the more than nine months they have already served in custody, and ordered their release, said an AFP reporter at the court. Defence lawyer Saga Mohammed said the decision “reflects the transparency of the judiciary and its independence.” Security forces are believed to have killed more than 200 demonstrators during the protests, many with gunshots to the head and chest, according to Amnesty International.
1000s of mechanics strike at Colombia’s biggest coal mines
3,500 mechanics at Colombia’s biggest coals mines have reportedly gone on strike to demand better pay, health benefits, and education, reported news wire Reuters on Wednesday. The striking mechanics are employed by Dimantec, a maintenance contractor working for mining giants Cerrejon and Drummond. The mechanics, who went to strike indefinitely at 6AM July 9, are demanding a 12% salary increase, as well as health benefits, and improved housing and education.
Chilean port workers strike disrupts container cargo
Port workers in Chile have been on strike since July 8, according to maritime service provider Inchcape Shipping Services. The strike, organized by Union Portuaria, is primarily disrupting container and dry cargoes at multiple ports, including Iquique, Tocopilla, Caldera, Huasco, San Antonio, Lirquen, San Vincente, Coronel and Puerto Montt, according to Inchcape. It will be indefinite until ongoing negotiations between the union and Chilean government can be resolved, Inchcape said.
UGET Hunger Strike Enters Twenty-Fifth Day
Members of the Tunisian General Students’ Union (French: UGET) entered their twenty-fifth day of a hunger strike against what they say are discriminatory public sector hiring practices. The UGET alleges that those of its members who were arrested under the Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali regime are consistently denied public sector job opportunities. This is despite the existence of Presidential Decree 1 of February 2011, which pardoned many of those imprisoned on charges viewed as being politically motivated prior to January 14, 2011.
These charges ranged from national security and press violations to those concerning political or trade union activity. “[Decree 1] legally reinstates these people’s right to apply for public sector jobs,” Anouar Nawar, UGET’s Secretary General, told Tunisia Live. “The previous government has employed many people benefitting from this pardon. Yet, it has not been applied to members of the UGET.” Two UGET members, Ayoub Amara and Walid Azouzi, have been on hunger strike since June 16. Four others joined them on July 4, according to a Facebook page dedicated to the strike. “We have so far received only promises from National Constituent Assembly (NCA) members and the Ministry of Justice,” Nawar said.
“Our current protest is a result of the government ignoring our demands.” The pair’s health has deteriorated as they continue their strike despite doctors’ advice to stop, Nawar added. “We have communicated our demands to the government, the Presidency, the Ministry of Justice, and the NCA, but we have not received an answer,” Thouraya Krishen, a UGET member involved with organizing the protests, told Tunisia Live. “We are concerned about the strikers’ health situation,” Krishen added. “Ayoub Amara is on the verge of death, but the government still takes no notice. The revolution started because of [frustration over] unemployment. We do not want more martyrs.”
Dairy company workers’ strike halted by gendarmerie, union official detained
A three-month-long strike by workers from Turkey’s largest dairy producer, Sütaş, was halted by the intervention of gendarmerie officials July 8, following a request from the company. Officers from the gendarmerie have asked workers protesting the discharges at the company to stop their sit-in in front of the factory in Bursa’s Karacabey district. The intervention came after officials from the company asked the authorities to not let workers continue their strike in front of the facility. A senior official from the Tek Gıda İş Union was also detained during the gendarmerie intervention.
Zimbabwe: Chitungwiza Workers’ Strike Intensifies
Chitungwiza municipal workers’ strike intensified yesterday with the management enlisting the services of anti-riot police to quell the situation as rowdy employees blocked residents from paying rates. The strike has entered its third day with the workers vowing not to disperse until the city fathers pay them outstanding salaries and allowances amounting to $13 million accrued over 13 months. Reports yesterday were that workers were turning away ratepayers claiming that if they paid their bills the money would be squandered by management.
Chitungwiza Town Clerk Mr George Makunde said he had to call police to restore order. “As you have noted they are still there (the workers), there was chaos as they turned away ratepayers and we had to call the police,” he said.
Bus strike brings central Colombian city to a standstill for 3rd time this year
Around 300 striking transit workers blockaded a main commuter route in western Colombia Monday, affecting more than 50,000 daily travelers, reported local news. For the third time this year, bus drivers in Pereira, the capital of the central-western state of Risaralda, have gone on strike to protest a pay dispute, according to W Radio. Some 300 bus drivers from the company Promasivo, one of two operators of the city’s Megabus service, are owed two weeks’ pay as well as their half yearly bonus, which amounts to half their salary, and have parked their buses across one of the city’s major transit routes.
Chinese workers in Bahamas launch protest over wages
NASSAU, Bahamas — Dozens of Chinese construction workers employed at a multibillion-dollar resort project in the Bahamas launched a protest Wednesday in an apparent dispute over wages. The workers are employed by China Construction America, which is developing the $3.5 billion Baha Mar hotel-and-casino project in the capital of Nassau. A group of roughly 50 workers in hard hats walked several miles from their work site to the Chinese Embassy, where they demanded to meet with officials. Police officers blocked the entrance to the embassy for several hours. Baha Mar said in a statement that it is committed to fair and equal treatment of all workers.
Workers Protest After Factory Ignores Arbitrator
About 400 workers protested and burned tires outside the Ocean Garment factory in Phnom Penh’s Pur Senchey district on Thursday after the factory failed to follow an Arbitration Council ruling from Wednesday to give the workers $120 each in furlough pay since the factory suspended operations. At about 9 a.m., workers set alight 10 tires and blocked the road to the factory for two hours before deciding to delay the protest until Monday, when they plan to march from the factory to the Labor Ministry. “I am very angry. I need the money to pay for my house and other things. I have waited for this money from the factory for a very long time,” said Sin Sophoan Narin, 51, an Ocean Garment worker who attended the protest.
Langa shuts down amid violent protests
Cape Town – Police, paramedics, commuters and journalists were pelted with bricks and glass bottles as violent protests flared up on the streets of Langa on Wednesday. The township was essentially shut down by an angry mob who ran through the streets, looting shops and lighting fires. In one incident a motorist was trying to turn on to Bhunga Avenue, navigating smouldering piles of plastic bins, when protesters surrounded the car and began throwing stones at it. “Oh no, that was a big mistake,” said a Langa resident watching from behind makeshift barriers of scattered cinderblocks. The driver was just one of many commuters who found themselves in the firing line. While it was originally dubbed a “housing protest”, it morphed throughout the day, with some residents chanting for the victims of the Marikana massacre, others for better living conditions.
Several arrested at Philly protest over deadly fire
Philadelphia police arrested several people Monday evening outside a firehouse during a protest over what angry residents believe was a slow response to a weekend blaze that killed four young children. Police were called to protect the station in the city’s southwest section, and officers dragged away demonstrators who tried to block firefighters from answering a call, according to news reports. WPVI-TV reported that “riots” broke out after about 100 people swarmed the firehouse — Ladder 4 Engine 40 — after a community meeting. Some protesters clashed with police, and others threw water bottles. Residents want to know what crews from a ladder-and-engine company around the corner were delayed in responding to the fast-moving blaze that engulfed about a dozen row house just before 3 a.m. Saturday.
Baloch women set up protest camp
ISLAMABAD: Five women from Balochistan are beating the scorching heat in their protest camp outside the National Press Club in Islamabad. Led by Zar Jan, the camp has been set up to protest the forced disappearance of Zahid Baloch, the chairman of the Baloch Student Organisation (Azad), who was whisked away by plainclothesmen from Satellite Town in Quetta. The family has blamed the security agencies, including the Frontier Constabulary (FC), for being involved in his disappearance. Ms Jan, wife of Zahid Baloch, said: “On March 18, 2014, at around 5pm Baloch was kidnapped at gunpoint by plainclothesmen in Quetta. We suspect that they were from the agencies because the FC was standing around and watching.” When asked how she came to know about these details as she was in Naal in the district of Khuzdar, she said Banuk Karima, the vice chairperson, and other members of BSO-A central committee, had witnessed the kidnapping.
Andy Lopez protest confrontations on Highway 101, Santa Rosa streets end peacefully
A demonstration over the shooting death of 13-year-old Andy Lopez turned into a tense standoff with riot-gear-clad police Saturday afternoon after a group of angry protesters blocked traffic on Highway 101 near the Third Street off-ramp. The decision by about 20people to march up onto the busy freeway shortly after 4 p.m. escalated what had been a passionate but peaceful protest into a potentially volatile confrontation with police from three law enforcement agencies.
RMG workers clash with staff, cops for arrears again
At least 30 people were injured in a clash among the workers and management staff of a garment factory and Industrial Police at Aichanorda in Savar outside the capital yesterday when the workers were demonstrating at their workplace demanding their salaries of June. Police and factory sources said the workers of Surma Garments Ltd started demonstration in the morning. During the demonstration, some miscreants hired by the factory authorities beat three workers Mahfuz Rahman, Md Alauddin and Lokman who were leading the movement, an allegation of the demonstrators denied the factory Deputy General Manager Md Moshiur Iqram. Afterwards, the workers ransacked the factory, triggering the clash that injured around 30 people including workers and staff, said witnesses.
RMG Worker’s Death
20 injured in worker-staff clash
Over the death of a co-worker, a clash between the workers and management staff injured at least 20 people from both the sides at a readymade garment factory at Zirabo in Ashulia outside the capital yesterday. Witnesses said the workers of Southern Design Ltd started demonstration in the morning, triggering the clash. Workers said Abbas Ali, a packing man, fell sick during his duty at 9:00pm on Tuesday due to hard work. Later, he died at his Ashulia residence, they added.
The management forced the workers, including Abbas, to work till 9:00pm, although their normal duty was from 8:00am to 5:00pm, the workers alleged. The injured, including staff Sohag and worker Hannan, were admitted to different local clinics and hospitals. To avoid any untoward incident, the authorities shut the factory for the day amid the workers’ agitation, said Mostafizur Rahman, director of Ashulia Industrial Police.
Police, protesting youth clash in Lagos
The Ikorodu expressway in Lagos came alive again, Saturday, when armed police officers clashed with rampaging youth at the Owode-Onirin area of the city. The youth were protesting the alleged fatal shooting of two men by police officers on Friday. The two allegedly shot by the police were among those trying to escape when police raided a known black spot where Indian hemp is sold and smoked at the Owode area.
Two other fleeing men jumped into a nearby canal, police said. It was gathered that while the youth protested on Saturday the killing of their members by the police, the officers fired live bullets at them, fatally wounding three. Ngozi Braide, the spokesperson of the Lagos State Police Command, however, denied the claims that police officers shot dead two men attempting to evade arrest.
Tunisia: Renewed Clashes Between Residents of Guellala and Security Forces
Medenine — Clashes resumed between and locals and security forces in Guellala, Djerba in a climate marked by high tension and anger. Clashes had erupted after the implementation of the decision providing for the re-opening of the landfill on Friday morning, with the assistance of public forces and security forces who used tear gas and plastic bullets, according to eye witnesses.