World Popular Resistance Clippings 13/7/2014


CPN-Maoist to hold special general convention

KATHMANDU, July 12: The CPN-Maoist, which had boycotted the Constituent Assembly election and has remained out of the ongoing constitution making process, has decided to convene its special general convention within a year. A nine-day central committee meeting of the party that concluded in the capital on Friday has decided to go for special general convention stalling the national conference scheduled for the second week of July. Party´s influential secretary Netra Bikram Chand had demanded the special general convention to correct the party´s political line in the changed context.

This comes at a time when the CPN-Maoist was planning to summon the national conference with a view to launch protest programs and to clarify its political line. A decision of special convention has come in the wake of party secretary Netra Bikram Chand´s note of dissent against the existing political line endorsed by the party´s 7th general convention held at Pokhara a year ago. Chand had submitted his note of dissent against political dossier of party chairman Mohan Baidya, during the central committee meeting of the party. Though the party had summoned the national conclave with a view to clarify party´s political line further in the changed context, it later decided to stall the conference following note of dissent against the political line itself.

“We have decided to go for the special convention as the national conference could not change the decisions endorsed by the higher body of our party,” said party spokesperson Pampha Bhusal at a press conference held at Newa State Committee office in Kupondole on Saturday. According to party sources, Chand wants necessary preparations for the ´people´s war´ reviving self-style people´s government of the insurgency-era. Chand held that the party should continue with the people´s war, which goes against the party line stipulated in the political dossier prepared by Baidya, which suggested that the future party-line should be people´s revolt.

Hence, the central committee meeting has endorsed the political dossier by Baidya, except the political line of the party. In his document Baidya has urged the party rank and file to struggle for all-party conference stating that the present CA could not draft a pro-people constitution. However the party has not disclosed the exact content of note of dissent filed by Chand. “As the note of dissent is still being discussed in the party, we will not disclose it until the discussion concludes,” party secretary Dev Gurung told Republica. Meanwhile, full central committee meeting of the party has started from Saturday to discuss the note of dissent filed by Chand. The CPN-Maoist has also decided to convene an orientation program for party cadres from the end of July.

Two killed in ‘shootouts’

Two operatives of outlawed Purba Bangla Communist Party were killed in separate “shootouts” with police in Kotchandpur and Harinakundu upazilas of Jhenidah early yesterday. The deceased are Abdur Rashid, 38, son of Younus Ali of Kotchandpur and Hazrat Ali, 35, son of Mahtab Biswas of Harinakundu upazila. On information that Rashid was holding a secret meeting with his three cohorts at Chatar village, a police team reached the spot around 3:00am, said Fazlur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Kotchandpur Police Station. Sensing the presence of law enforcers, the outlaws opened fire on them, forcing them to retaliate, the OC said. Rashid sustained bullets during the gunfight and fell on the ground while his cohorts managed to flee. He was whisked off to Kotchandpur Upazila Health Complex where he was declared dead.

Police recovered a pipe gun and three bullets from the scene, he added. Meanwhile, Ershadul Kabir, OC of Harinakundu Police Station, said a patrol team of police cordoned off Rishkhali Amtala area where some PBCP members were holding a meeting around 2:00am yesterday. At one stage, the outlaws opened fire on law enforcers, prompting them to fire back, the OC said. Hazrat was caught in the line of fire and died on the spot, he said. Police recovered a gun, two bullets and six bombs from the spot. The body was sent to Jhenidah Sadar Hospital for an autopsy.

This entry was posted in resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.