World Popular Resistance Clippings 29/5/2014

Outlawed party leader killed in Meherpur

A leader of outlawed party, Purba Bangla Communist Party (Lal Pataka), has been slaughtered by some unidentified miscreants in Gangni upazila of Meherpur. Police recovered the throat-slit body of Ashraful Islam, 35, the regional commander of Purba Bangla Communist Party (Lal Pataka) and son of Mujibur Rahman of Shimultala village in the upazila, from a field at the village of Gopalnagar on Thursday afternoon.

Locals spotted the body of Ashraful in an abandoned land at Bholardar field in the morning and informed police. Later, the law enforcers sent the body to hospital morgue for autopsy. Gangni police officer in-charge Riazul Islam confirmed the incident, saying internal dispute might have been the reason behind the murder. Ashraful had long been involved in various crimes in the locality, the OC said, adding that he was wanted in 4-5 cases.


Mexico: Policemen Beaten to Death by Angry Mob after Popocatepetl Volcano Logger is Shot

Two Mexican policemen were lynched by an angry mob after they shot dead a suspect illegal logger in a community near the Popocatepetl volcano outside Mexico City. Another three officers were rescued by a force of 150 policemen dispatched to the village of San Andrés Tlalamac to restore order. The five officers were taking part in a joint operation with forest rangers to inspect woods affected by illegal loggers in the area. During the search they caught a man chopping wood. Local media reported police fatally shot him as he tried to escape.

The man, identified as Israel Balderas Rosales, 42, was rushed to a hospital where he later died. State officials said an investigation was underway to determine who fired the shot. As word of the incident spread, a mob gathered in the small village. The policemen were grabbed by residents, dragged to a community building and severely beaten. Anti-riot security forces intervened, firing teargas to disperse the crowd. However, for two of the officers, named as Edwin Ulises Gordillo and Hugo Martínez Pablo, it was too late.

Jhapa’s tea industry paralyzed as workers, farmers continue strike

JHAPA, May 28 : Tea industry of Jhapa district is reeling under workers´ strike since last one month with the workers demanding higher wages. The indefinite strike, launched at the peak tea-plucking season, has badly affected the tea industry of the district. The talks between agitating workers and tea factory owners that took place on Wednesday ended inconclusively after both sides held on to their stances. The agitating workers and factory owners have agreed to resume the discussions after both parties have done adequate homework on their demands.

Meanwhile, small farmers in the district have been pressing for the implementation of the three-fold agreement reached between farmers, factory owners and local administration around four years ago. Among other things, the agreement calls for revising the prices of tea leaves. The farmers have alleged that the tea factory owners honored the deal only for a few months. They complain that a total of 27 tea factories operating in Jhapa have been cheating them through syndicate system.

As per the farmers´ estimate, they have suffered losses worth Rs 400 million since the factories started violating the agreement. “We are compelled to protest against this injustice,” Purna Karki, a local ltea producer, said. Likewise, tea garden workers had joined the protest launched by the farmers after tea producers refused to provide them with minimum wage fixed by the government last year. Meanwhile, Ramesh Poudel, president of the Nepal Tea Producers´ Association, said, “We have decided to let the free and competitive market determine the price, a practice that is prevalent all around the world.” The dialogue between tea garden workers and factory owners that was initiated on Wednesday is expected to come to a conclusion by Friday, said a member involved in the talks, adding that it has been halted due to their stance only. Agitating farmers, after they had intensified their protest, were arrested by the police. However, around 3000 farmers have again started staging peaceful sit-ins.

Violent Protest at Devil’s Curve in 2009 Sees 53 Facing Trials

Five years after a violent confrontation that left 33 people dead and scores injured in northern Peru, 53 people face charges that include murder, personal injury, forcibly taking firearms and ammunition from people, and sedition.The trial began on May 14, but was suspended almost immediately because there were no translators for the 23 Awajún, Wampis and Shawi people involved. Proceedings resumed May 26 in the northern town of Bagua with the reading of charges against the defendants, who include seven indigenous leaders who were not present when the violence occurred, but who are accused of having incited it.

The leaders include Alberto Pizango, president of the Inter-Ethnic Association for the Development of the Peruvian Amazon (Asociación Interétnica para el Desarrollo de la Selva Peruana, AIDESEP), Peru’s largest Amazonian indigenous umbrella organization. If convicted, the leaders could face sentences of life in prison. “We hope for the acquittal of all the defendants, because the prosecutors do not have sufficient evidence to support their case,” AIDSEP lawyer Marco Barreto told Indian Country Today Media Network.

Over the next several weeks, each defendant will be questioned individually. Barreto said he expects the trial to last four or five months. The charges stem from events that occurred at a place known as the Curva del Diablo, or Devil’s Curve, on the main highway through Peru’s Amazonas region, near Bagua. More than 20 non-indigenous people were killed after security forces moved in early in the morning of June 5, 2009, to break up demonstrators who had been blocking the road for more than a month to protest a series of legislative decrees that they feared would open up their lands to timber, oil and mining companies.



Kachin farmers protest over Yuzana land grabbing

Farmers from Hukong Valley in Kachin State have held a press briefing on May 28 to denounce the grabbing of their land by the influential Yuzana Company owned by MP Htay Myint. They claim the company grabbed more than 300,000 acres of ancestral land in the Hukong Valley without proper compensation, and have threatened legal action and protests. “When the Yuzana Company entered Kachin State saying it was working for regional development, we suffered all kinds of hardships,” said Khun Naw, a local of Bankouk village.

“It was like they were killing us when they grabbed our lands. Company officials destroyed our villages and we were beaten. When we made complaints to the superiors, what they replied was it was done under orders from above. They said they couldn’t help anything. And we were neglected. As we had no way to earn, our children became illiterate. Some of us died as we had nothing to pay for our medical expenses,” he added. On August 30, 2012, the farmers threatened to protest in front of Yuzana Company’s headquarters at Shwewgontaing junction in Yangon.

Strike: 100 Students Brutalised, Arrested By Police During Protest, says JAF

The Joint Action Front has lamented that Police brutalised and arrested no fewer than 100 comprising of students, activists and journalists during a protest against the ongoing strike embarked upon by the polytechnic and colleges of education lecturers. It said the protest had thousands of students from Yaba College of Technology; Federal Polytechnics’ students from Ede, Ilaro, Offa, and Federal Colleges of Education from Akoka-Lagos and other states across the country when the incident happened on Wednesday. It said the protest was to lobby the government to implement agreements reached with ASUP and COEASU in order to ensure the return to academic normalcy for the Polytechnics and Colleges of Education students.

The statement read: “JAF whose members were part of the MASS PROTEST organized today May 28 by the Concerned Students against Education Commercialisation (COSATEC) wishes to strongly condemn the trigger happy armed police REPRESSION of the peaceful protest, culminating in the arrest and brutality of over 100 students, activists, and journalists. “The peaceful procession of students and activists under the leadership of the National Coordinator and National Secretary of COSATEC.

The peaceful protest started with a procession from the gate of YABATECH at about 10am and marched peacefully through the Murtala Mohammed Way Ebute Metta, enroute to erect Barricade at the entrance of the Third Mainland Bridge by Adekunle junction. “It was at this point that the Police descended heavily on the peaceful protest with sporadic shooting of teargas, live ammunition and beating of harmless students, activists and journalists with gun butts. Some of the buses that carried students during the procession were not spared as their windscreen were shattered.

Even the symbolic Coffin and Cow inscribed with “Death to Education in Nigeria” were targets of police destruction. “Worst of all was the brutalization of Mr. Segun Akinpelu, a renowned reporter with the Sahara Reporters whose was mercilessly brutalized and his camera and other recording gadgets were completely destroyed into pieces. To cap it all, over 100 students, journalists and activists that included Comrade Akanni Iromini of Awake Nigeria and Mr. Akinpelu were arrested and bundled into a Black Maria.

This entry was posted in Maoists India, resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.