Peoples War in India Clippings 25/5/2014

50227

Wanted Maoist nabbed in Odisha

In a joint combing operation, security personnel arrested a wanted Maoist inside Fukura forest under Chandrapur block in Odisha’s Rayagada district on Saturday night. The arrested Maoist has been identified as Samanta Gudulika (25) of Budubali village. Briefing newsmen this morning, Muniguda SDPO Anant Charan Mallick said security personnel of the District Voluntary Force (DVF), Special Operations Group (SOG) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), during a joint combing operation arrested Gudulika from Fukura forest on the Rayagada-Kandhamal border.

“He was involved in the murder of Hanumantapur sarpanch Deba Gageranga in 2012, Maoist violence in Gajapati district and torching of a country-liquor manufacturing unit at Dangasorada panchayat of Chandrapur block”, Mallick said. The SDPO said the arrested Maoist, who is being interrogated by the police, would be forwarded to the court on Monday.

http://odishasuntimes.com/56903/wanted-maoist-nabbed-odisha-2/

Sarpanch quits after kidnap drama

KORAPUT: Sarpanch of Tolo Goluru panchayat in Koraput district resigned on Saturday owing of alleged Maoist fear. B B Puti cited family problem and deteriorating health for quitting the post in his letter to the block development officer (BDO). On May 11, Maoists kidnapped four persons, including Puti, from Tolo Goluru village. He was allegedly thrashed and warned against helping police. The rebels killed two abductees, suspecting them to be police informers, and freed Puti on the condition that he would quit his job, sources said. The Maoist attack followed killing of two commanders of the outlawed outfit in an encounter with security forces in the adjoining Munguluvalsa village on March 4.

They suspected the quartet of having passed on information about their leaders to police. BDO (Pottangi) Bhagaban Behera said, “The sarpanch of Tolo Goluru has rendered his resignation and it will be sent to the district administration for necessary action.”

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bhubaneswar/Sarpanch-quits-after-kidnap-drama/articleshow/35591725.cms

Maoist weapons dump found

Adilabad: A Maoist dump was unearthed near Venkatapur forest in Kasipet mandal on Saturday morning. Displaying the material found before mediapersons at Bellampalli, Adilabad district superintendent of police, Dr Gajarao Bhupal, said that based on reliable information, a team of police personnel conducted searches in the forest area near Venkatapur village under the Devapur police station limits and found a plastic bundle hidden in bamboo bushes. The Maoist dump included six grenades, four tiffin boxes with explosives, four guns, a revolver, seven live rounds, four .303 rifle magazines, three magazine type boxes, 23 electric detonators, four springs, five pin type bolts and nine T-type pin bolts. The SP suspected that Maoist leaders Athram Shoban alias Charles, Bandi Prakash alias Prabhakar, Mailarapu Adellu alias Bhaskar and others may have hidden the weapons in the forests.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/Maoist-weapons-dump-found/articleshow/35572319.cms

maoists-2_mos_052514094537

Year after Jeeram massacre, why we know little about the Maoists’ most spectacular attack

Sifting through the investigation files, inside his air-conditioned office, a source remarked, “The convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh would have been wiped out, no matter which route they had taken. In both the places, the Maoists were aware, armed and had been lying in wait.” It was as if the Congress leadership had to choose between two routes leading to their bitter end and they chose the shorter one. On this day, a year ago, Maoist insurgents carried out what remains their most high profile attack ever killing 27, including the then Chhattisgarh Congress President Nand Kumar Patel, his son and controversial tribal leader Mahendra Karma as well as looting 22 weapons in the Jeeram Ghati region of the Bastar district. In response, centre tasked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) with investigating the case.

A year later, barring six arrests and two surrenders, of men admittedly at a ‘junior level’, not much has moved. Questions pertaining to conspiracy behind the killings, masterminds involved and the much-talked about political involvement remain unanswered. India Today has learnt that in a move as rare as the event itself, on March 25, Home Secretary sought a detailed review of the NIA investigation. Details of this top-level review, which was attended by representatives of the Ministry of Home Affairs, NIA, Intelligence Bureau (IB) and Chhattisgarh Police, as accessed, paint a damning picture of the systemic failure that first allowed the attack to take place and today prevents it from being solved.

The Known

The NIA investigation, the gathering was informed had revealed an elaborate design drawn up to execute the attack. “We now know that for about ten days prior to the attack, locally unknown men and women were seen in the Darbha area, working in the fields or assisting the locals. In some cases when locals asked them, these men and women shut them up,” said a source. A training camp had been established in the 20km corridor between Darbha in Bastar and Tongpal in Sukma. Even though the road connectivity is good, there is hardly any police presence all along the 20km route. Not even mobile phone towers exist here.

The implication of that would be the presence of a large number of most heavily armed fighters of the Communist Party of India (Maoist). Not surprisingly, this was neither reported by any local to the police nor did the police have the intelligence gathering mechanism to detect such an influx. It was in this situation that Maoists were informed about the movement of the Congress convoy. “It was like a God-sent opportunity for them,” the source said. Apart from involving about 200 men from the Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC) of the CPI (Maoist), a mobile command and control post was set up at the ambush site where ‘Vinod’ who heads the Darbha Division Committee, was seen by eyewitnesses, taking orders from an unknown senior on his communication set.

“He kept himself out of the action and let the cadre have a go at the Congressmen as he coordinated with someone very senior,” said a source. Also involved in executing the attack were members of the jan militia, a lightly armed component consisting of locals. Apart from using the local Darbha Division Committee, the Maoists brought on ground its military-equivalent Central Regional Company – 2, said to be consisting of its best and most heavily armed cadre as well as some additional platoons. The NIA claimed it had positively identified over 100 Maoists who were on ground, during the attack and completed physical verification of half of them.

The agency also claimed to have photographs of these accused, a rarity, and got Non Bailable Warrants (NBWs) issued against 26 of the accused from the local court. Defending the agency, a senior officer said, “Right now, the NIA has about 40 names of those jan militia members who were involved in the attack and can be picked up. But they are mere pawns and by arresting them, you will generate noise but achieve nothing.” The effort, it was informed, was to take the harder route, get to the bottom and reach the big fish, many of whom were insurgents belonging to neighbouring states like Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/chhattisgarh-maoist-attack-sukma-darbha-ghati-massacre/1/363475.html

Revolutionary Writers Association condemns Saibaba’s arrest

Hyderabad: The city-based Revolutionary Writers Association (RWA) on Saturday condemned the arrest of G N Saibaba, a Delhi University professor, for his alleged Naxal links, and his subsequent suspension from the University. Saibaba was arrested by Gadchiroli police of Maharashtra earlier this month on the charge of links with Naxals and for providing them logistical support and helping them in recruitment. In a statement here, RWA demanded his immediate release. His arrest, carried out in “illegal manner”, and branding him as a Maoist exposed the state’s “anti-people” strategy, it added.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/andhra-pradesh/revolutionary-writers-association-condemns-saibaba-s-arrest_934602.html

Naxal held in Kanker in joint operation

Raipur: A naxal, carrying a reward on his head, was arrested during a joint search operation in Maoist-hit Kanker district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Sunday. The cadre identified as Ramesh Ramprasad Boga (35) from Rajnandgaon, was nabbed from the forest of Lohattar police station limits yesterday, a senior police official said. Acting on a tip-off, the joint team of Border Security Force (BSF) and district force launched combing operation in the Lohattar region, around 250 kms from here. On reaching the core forest, they spotted a suspect fleeing from the region, following which they chased and apprehended him, the official said. Boga was involved in several criminal offence including murder, attack on police personnel, arson and other, said the official, adding that he was carrying a reward of Rs 1,000 on his head. Interrogation was on with him, he added.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/chhattisgarh/naxal-held-in-kanker-in-joint-operation_934725.html

RPF workers held during search operation

IMPHAL, May 24: During a search operation, the Thoubal District Police Commandos arrested an active worker of PLA/RPF on May 23, informed a press release of the PRO Police. The arrested worker has been identified as Chongtham Oken, 44, son of Ch Gosai Singh of Langmeidong Mamang Makha Leikai. During investigation it was revealed that he made monetary demands to ZEOs of Kakching, Wangoi and Bishnupur and upon his disclosure, another active worker of the organisation identified as Maimom Bajanta Singh, 41, son of M Mohori Singh of Bashikhong Maimom Leikai was also arrested from Lilong bazaar.

One mobile handset was seized from Oken’s possession, said the release. A case has been registered at Waikhong Police Station and investigation is going on said the Manipur Police Department, it said. The release also continued that, the Imphal West district Police Commandos on May 23 conducted a cordon and search of a suspected house located at Yurembam area and arrested two PLA/RPF active members identified as s/s lt colonel Thokchom Kunje alias Tolen alias Babu Singh, 55, son of (L) Th Keso Singh of Yurembam Makha Leikai and Khongbaltabam Robin Singh, 58, son of (L) Kh Henouba Singh of Uripok Tourangbam Leikai from the house of Tolen. Two mobile handsets were seized from them. A case has been registered at Patsoi Police Station and investigation is going on, it said.

http://kanglaonline.com/2014/05/rpf-workers-held-during-search-operation/

This entry was posted in Maoists India, resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.