Over 100 injured in Mexico City protest
Mexico City, May 22 (EFE).- A total of 101 people were injured, including 20 listed in serious condition, and five others were arrested when police moved in to take control of a Mexico City neighborhood from demonstrators opposed to a water project, the Federal District Public Safety Secretariat said. Residents opposed to the water project in San Bartolo Ameyalco, a town in the Mexico City borough of Alvaro Obregon, put up barricades, set fires, threw bottles at police and used sticks and stones to attack officers, the secretariat said.
“The project in question, which will benefit about 20,000 residents of the town, has been delayed more than 18 years. The borough reported that the start of work was last Feb. 14 and it was constantly halted because of the opponents, who supposedly are protecting an aquifer located there,” the secretariat said in a statement. Borough officials blame the dispute on the people who currently supply water to residents, the secretariat said.
Local officials asked various agencies, including the police department and the Mexico City Water System, for support during the installation of pipes to supply drinking water. The Federal District Public Safety Secretariat deployed 1,569 police officers, supported by 94 vehicles and two helicopters, to take control of the area. “During the operation, five arrests were made and 101 people were injured, 20 of them seriously, who were taken to different hospitals,” the secretariat said, without specifying how many officers were hurt. Protesters seized two officers and held them for several minutes before agreeing to release them, the secretariat said.
Clashes in Istanbul kill two as protest anniversary nears
(Reuters) – A second person died on Friday after clashes between Turkish police and protesters in a working-class district of Istanbul, stirring fears of further unrest as the anniversary of last year’s anti-government demonstrations approaches. Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu called for calm “for the security of the nation” after protesters throwing petrol bombs and stones clashed with riot police in the city’s Okmeydani district on Thursday.
Police detain 38 students during night raid at occupied Ege University building in İzmir
Thirty-eight people were detained in a nighttime police raid of Ege University’s Foreign Languages Faculty building in the western province of İzmir. The building had been occupied by students on May 22, according to Doğan News Agency. The students denounced police presence at the university and also protested the recent mining disaster in Soma, the death of the 15-year-old Gezi victim Berkin Elvan last March, and the shooting of a mourner during clashes in Istanbul on May 22.
“Our right to protest is being restrained. We demand that the police move out of the campus,” said one student, Serdar Gür. Riot police were deployed to the three-storey building at around 1 a.m., reinforced by a police helicopter, to break the occupation.
Court Concludes Two Trials Against 23 Garment Protesters
Two high-profile trials involving 23 men accused of taking part in a pair of violent garment worker protests in early January ended Thursday after five days of hearings at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, with verdicts due next week. Of the 23, union leader Vorn Pao and nine others were arrested on January 2 at a protest for higher garment sector wages that turned violent when protesters and soldiers, called in to protect the Yakjin factory, began pelting each other with rocks.
Over five days of hearings that ended Thursday after a marathon 12-hour session, the prosecution sought to paint Mr. Pao as the main culprit in the violence, accusing him of inciting the protesters to attack the soldiers. The defendants have all accused the soldiers of throwing the stones first.
Baloch student wages hunger strike over missing leader
KARACHI: Eyes yellowing but sparkling with determination, Lateef Johar vows to carry on his month-long hunger strike until his missing leader is recovered – or he dies and another young Baloch takes his place. A month ago the 23-year-old chose to sit outside Karachi Press Club and refuse food, to demand the return of Zahid Baloch, the chairperson of the Azad group of the Baloch Students Organisation (BSO). The missing man was allegedly picked up by security forces on March 18 in Quetta.
For a month Johar and other BSO activists searched for their chairperson, but in vain. With the hunt attracting little attention, the central committee of the BSO decided to launch a hunger strike “unto death” and Johar offered himself as the maiden volunteer. “We just want that at least the world must know what is going on with us and how the state is suppressing our movement by kidnapping and killing our fellows,” Johar said. The BSO is one of the largest Baloch student movements. Some accuse it of links to violent separatist groups who have waged a 10-year insurgency, with regular bomb and gun attacks on security forces and state symbols. Johar has lost 21 kilogrammes of his body weight since beginning his protest and his frailty is obvious as he becomes breathless while talking.