World Popular Resistance Clippings 15/5/2014

Maoist hardliner Chand gives a mouthful to BRB’s ideology

PARBAT: CPN-Maoist Secretary Netra Bikram Chand claimed that Maoist leader Dr Baburam Bhattarai’s ideology of socialism through capitalism is soon going to bleed dry. Addressing an interaction here today, the hardliner Maoist leader also accused Bhattarai of being neo-liberalist giving up the Marxism. “Unity of two Maoist parties on the basis of Bhattarai’s line is impossible,” Chand added. New development in Marxism is probable but party unity with those who are deviated from the Marxism is not possible, he said ruling out resurrection of Dhobighat alliance.

Dhobighat alliance was forged by the then UCPN-Maoist Vice Chairmen trio Mohan Baidhy, Dr. Bhattarai and Narayan Kaji Shrestha to throw party chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal in minority vote in the party. The alliance later ended when Dr Bhattarai was elevated to Prime Ministerial post. However, leader Chand said that party unity with UCPN-Maoist is possible despite the ideological debate with Dr Bhattarai’s line if their 6-point demands are addressed.

On a different note, he rubbished the possibility of new constitution excluding the Maoists citing that the latter (Maoists) were owners of peace process and the constitution. “We are always committed to making the new constitution through the peace agreements and consensus but we cannot compromise on the issues of national sovereignty,” he said.

Party unification is historic necessity, says Baidya

KATHMANDU, May 15: Hinting positive vibes for the party unification, CPN-Maoist Chairman Mohan Baidya stated principle of necessity has demanded unification between two Maoist parties. However , he maintained that unity is possible only after the UCPN(Maoist) goes for reformations required for the purpose. Speaking at a program organized by All Nepal National Independent Students Union –Revolutionary (ANNISU-R) in the capital on Thursday, leader Baidya underscored the need for unification between the two parties to institutionalize the achievements made so far. However, Baidya ruled out the unification just to use it as a ladder to attain power under the existing parliamentary system.

“The unification is necessary to run ideological and strategic discourse so as to bail the country out of the current imbroglio but it should not be used just to attain power under the existing parliamentary structure,” maintained Baidya.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=74839

Palestinian protester argues with an Israeli soldier during a protest marking the 66th anniversary of Nakba, in the West Bank village of El Walaja near Bethlehem

460_0___10000000_0_0_0_0_0_nadim

Israeli forces kill two Palestinians in West Bank clash

(Reuters) – Israeli forces shot dead two Palestinians during a stone-throwing protest on Thursday marking the “Nakba”, the annual commemoration of what Palestinians term the catastrophe of their displacement when Israel was founded. Hospital officials said Muhammad Abu Thahr, 22, and Nadim Nuwara, 17, were both shot in the heart outside Israel’s Ofer Prison near the Palestinian city of Ramallah in the occupied West Bank.

The Israeli military declined comment, saying border police were involved in the incident. A police spokesman told Reuters he was aware of the protest, but did not have any confirmation that live ammunition was used. “The use of live bullets on protesters is a dangerous escalation by (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu’s extremist government which aims to drag the region into a new cycle of violence,” Wasel Abu Youssef, a senior Palestinian official, told Reuters. Ofer prison has been a focal point of Palestinian anger over Israel’s detention and occupation policies. Around two hundred demonstrators waved flags and threw stones there, marking the 66th anniversary of the “Nakba,” meaning catastrophe, when many Palestinians fled or were expelled from their towns and villages during the war of Israel’s foundation in 1948.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/15/us-israel-palestinian-clashes-idUSBREA4E0HI20140515

express-6

Fiery protest after Diego killing

Traffic was brought to a standstill for more than three hours yesterday morning as residents blocked the corner of Diego Martin Main Road and Bagatelle Road, setting fire to tyres and other debris, as they called for justice in the shooting of 35-year-old Nigel Long. Long, also known as “Nathaniel” and “Carwash”, was killed on Tuesday night by a police officer of the Western Division, after he allegedly raised a firearm to the policeman.

According to police reports, at about 11.30 p.m. on Tuesday, a joint police/army patrol, comprising two policemen and two soldiers, was being conducted in Bagatelle when the officers observed Long sitting next to the roadway. Upon seeing the patrol, Long stood up with both hands behind his back. The officers called on Long to surrender but, as they approached him, the police report states that Long pulled out something that resembled a firearm and pointed it at the patrol unit.

One of the policemen, fearful for his life, drew his licensed firearm and shot at Long, hitting him multiple times about the body. Long was then placed in the police vehicle and rushed to St James Health Facility, but was pronounced dead on arrival. A .38 revolver with six rounds of ammunition was allegedly found in his possession. However, residents of the area have firmly disputed this report, claiming the police opened fire on the father of three without reason or cause. They said Long was one of the few “genuinely good men” in the area and he was not involved in any criminal activity.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Fiery-protest-after-Diego-killing-259323831.html

Nigeria: Extrajudicial Killing: Festac Youth Abandon Protest Midway

Dozens of youth in Festac Town, Lagos, who were protesting the brutal killing of a resident by a police officer, Wednesday, dispersed midway into their march after learning they could be shot at by the police. Oyamo Edewor, 33, was fatally shot on Saturday night by a police sergeant attached to the Festac Area Command. PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the police officer, who had been identified as Godwin Otene, has been arrested and transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti. The death of Mr. Edowor, a contractor, was seen as one killing too many and elicited outrage among the youth who, via Blackberry Messenger, scheduled a “solidarity” protest on Wednesday. The protest notice read in part: “We have had series of police oppression and killings. This must STOP!!! We alone can only STOP this unlawful and unjustified killings of our youths by police officers, because it can happen to anyone of us. Please we urge everyone to please come out in large numbers and join the protest. We must have JUSTICE!!!…

http://allafrica.com/stories/201405150286.html

marchapatriotica_f_marchapatiotica

Report: 48 members of leftist political party murdered in 2 years

A religious social organization has condemned the multiple killings of members of a far left political party, local media reported on Thursday. The Center for Research and Popular Education (CINEP), a religious organisation focused on social change, has spoken out about the “genocide” of members of the Patriotic March (Marcha Patriotica), with 48 people killed in the past two years.

http://colombiareports.co/48-members-political-party-murdered-2-years/#

This entry was posted in resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.