World Popular Resistance Clippings 29/4/2014

Uprising against police murder in Complexo do Alemão

Maoist student wing padlocks 50 schools in Phidim

PHIDIM: All Nepal National Independent Students’ Union-Revolutionary (ANNISU-R), student wing of the CPN-Maoist padlocked more than 50 boarding schools in Panchthar district today demanding immediate withdrawal of recent fee hikes. Earlier, the student union had submitted a memorandum to the Private and Boarding Schools’ Organisation Nepal (PABSON) to revoke its decision to hike fees at the schools.

According to the district Chairman of ANNISUR Rajan Khatiwada, the union padlocked schools in the district to pile pressure on PABSON to withdraw its decision. Khatiwada said that the PABSON’s unilateral decision to hike fees at schools has increased burden to the parents. The District Education Office, Panchthar also said that the fee hike is against the law. PABSON should first take permission of the Fee Monitoring Committee of the District Education Office before increasing fees in the schools, District Education Officer, Gyan Mani Nepal said. He further informed that the office has sent letters to the respective schools to return fees retrieved from parents after the hike.

Arrests after 4,000 rampage in South Africa platinum belt

South African police have arrested four people for public order offenses after thousands looted a shopping centre, burnt public buildings and chased away a government minister in the country’s restive platinum belt. At least 4,000 protestors were involved in day of violence near the northern city of Rustenburg on Sunday, amid a simmering three-month long strike by platinum miners. Police told AFP on Tuesday that four people had been arrested on charges of possession of stolen property and public violence in relation to the looting of a shopping centre. Others are being investigated for arson and malicious damage to property.

The unrest began Sunday when protestors set fire to a municipal councillors house, community hall and a newly built municipal service centre, venting anger at the government a week before general elections. Residents also pelted stones at the entourage of Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula who was campaigning ahead of the general election on May 7. “The mob started attacking his entourage outside the premises by throwing stones at them,” said Brigadier Thulane Ngubane. The minister was hastily evacuated in a bullet-proof vehicle, according to media reports. Later a mob descended on the shopping complex, looting 11 shops as well as an electronic cash dispenser as outnumbered police looked on. The crowd was finally dispersed in the early hours of Monday. Such unrest is common in South Africa, with as many as 30 protests about poor basic services a day.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/arrests-after-4-000-rampage-in-south-africa-platinum-belt-515793

Woman walks past papers put up by students who support the Yue Yuen factory workers, outside a Nike store in Guangzhou

China labour activist held over online “disturbance”

(Reuters) – Chinese police have placed a labour activist under criminal detention, formally accusing him of causing a disturbance after they said he distributed information online about a factory strike, his manager and father said on Tuesday. The move is the latest sign that authorities in China have been shaken by recent labour unrest such as a 2-week strike by workers at Yue Yuen Industrial Holdings (0551.HK), a $5.6 billion manufacturer of footwear for Nike Inc (NKE.N), Adidas AG (ADSGn.DE) and other international brands.

In what activists say was one of China’s biggest labour protests since market reforms began in the late 1970s, Yue Yuen workers went on strike in the southern city of Dongguan on April 14, to protest against what they said were chronically low company contributions to social insurance and housing provident fund accounts. Yue Yuen said on Friday that more than 80 percent of its 40,000-strong workforce had returned to work. Lin Dong, a 27-year-old activist who works for the Shenzhen Chunfeng Labour Dispute Service Center, was taken into custody a week ago, his manager, Zhang Zhiru, told Reuters. Police were holding him on “suspicion of causing a disturbance”, Zhang said. Lin’s father, Lin Xiaoxiong, confirmed his son’s detention in Dongguan.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/04/29/china-labour-activist-idINKBN0DF0HT20140429

960

_74504345_74504337

Colombian farmers protest against government’s ‘broken promises’

Thousands of Colombian farmers have been taking part in protests across the country to demand that the government comply with reforms agreed last year. Security has been reinforced in the main coffee, rice and potato producing areas. Protesting farmers say the government has failed to implement measures to reduce debt and control the prices of fertilisers. An agreement last August followed weeks of violent protests.

The Colombian government says the reforms are being introduced, but some of them are long-term measures. “It’s a national day of protests by farmers across Colombia,” Victor Correa, spokesman for the Dignidad Cafetero coffee growers’ protest movement, told Reuters. The authorities said a heavy police and army presence had prevented the protesters from setting up road blocks. But local media reported that roads had been blocked in Boyaca department and in the coffee-producing region of Huila.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27198890

622x350 (1)

Peru security forces trash illegal mining machines

HUEPETUHE, Peru (AP) — In a surprise raid, about 1,500 police and troops dynamited $20 million worth of heavy machinery as Peru’s government dialed up a crackdown on illegal gold mining that has badly scarred the ecologically rich southeastern jungle region of Madre de Dios. The operation Monday was the first such action since a nationwide ban on illegal mining took effect April 19.

Security forces accompanied by prosecutors blew up backhoes, generators and water pumps in the Huepetuhe district, a mining boomtown dating back to the 1980s that includes two entire streets of brothels and many more of machine shops. Some adjacent buildings caught fire from explosions witnessed by an Associated Press photographer, but there were no reports of injuries. Police and soldiers cleared out adjoining camps first.

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Peru-security-forces-trash-illegal-mining-machines-5436913.php

BmW6B2FCQAAB0tD

Militants, cops clash near US Embassy after Obama departure

Militants and police clashed near the US Embassy in Manila before noon Tuesday, even after US President Barack Obama ended his two-day state visit to the Philippines. The protesters tried to get to the embassy but police, backed by fire trucks, blocked them at the corner of Roxas Boulevard and T.M. Kalaw Street, radio dzBB’s Allan Gatus reported. Despite being drenched, some of the militants continued to engage anti-riot police in a shoving match, the report said. Many of the militants also chanted, “US Imperialist, Number One Terrorist” while clashing with the police.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/358809/news/metromanila/militants-cops-clash-near-us-embassy-after-obama-departure

Families of Tunisia victims hold strike

Tunisian family members of those killed during the 2011 revolution have gone on hunger strike demanding justice, Press TV reports. The relatives began the strike after the Tunisian Military Appeals Court ruled to release all former regime officials and top security officers who were accused of killing peaceful protesters during the revolution. The hunger strike is being held at the office of the National Coordination Committee for Transitional Justice to denounce what the families describe as the complicity between the former regime and the military court.

“We are on hunger strike until justice is given otherwise we will escalate our protest movement in all regions,” said Ali Bouzayan, a father of one victim. The 12 striking relatives have received support from the country’s Labor Union leaders, who represent 600,000 workers. “The demands of families are legitimate and the Labor Union will support their cause until truth is revealed about those responsible for the violence and killings,” said Kassem Afaya of the Labor Union.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/04/29/360517/families-of-tunisia-victims-hold-strike/

SCAMPERS-360x204

Police Fires Tear-Gas At Protesting Lecturers, Students In Abuja

The ongoing protest by striking lecturers of Nigeria’s polytechnics and colleges of education has been disrupted. The protest, held at the Federal Secretariat in Abuja, was disrupted on Tuesday morning when officers of the Nigerian Police Force fired tear-gas at the protesters, which was made up of lecturers and students. The protesters, however, stated they will not leave the venue. The protest was organised to show displeasure at the federal government’s handling of the strike by polytechnic lecturers ASUP, and college lecturers, COEASU. Both unions have been on strike since last year with hundreds of thousands of students sitting at home unable to attend lectures.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/police-fires-tear-gas-protesting-lecturers-students-abuja

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.