Peoples War in India Clippings 27/3/2014

naxals-launches-anti-poll-posters-war-panic-prevails

Maoists blow up two mobile towers ahead of Modi’s rally in Gaya district

Gaya: Over a hundred Maoists gathered and blew up two mobile phone towers of a private company by exploding powerful bombs, on Thursday. The powerful explosion took place at Manjhauli and Dumaria Bazar villages of Gaya district late last night. This explosion occurred just ahead of two election rallies of Bjp’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. It is believed the attack was launched to sabotage Modi’s two election rallies scheduled at Maoist-hit Sasaram and Gaya on Thursday afternoon. The Maoists have called for a bandh in the Maoist-hit districts of south central part of the state in protest against the killing of ten of their cadres in Chhatra recently. The state police and paramilitary forces were taking additional measures to counter any threat from the ultras.

http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/NAT-TOP-maoists-blow-up-two-mobile-towers-ahead-of-modi-rallies-scheduled-in-naxal-infes-4561886-NOR.html

naxalites-launch-antipoll-posters-war-create-panic_260314111921

Naxals Launch Anti-Poll Campaign, Panic Prevails

Within days of their meeting with a joint team of senior police officers from Jharkhand and West Bengal, the Maoists pasted posters and circulated handbills warning villagers against voting in the Lok Sabha polls in over dozen villages under Govindpur block on Tuesday night. The Jharkhand Regional Military Commission-CPIML, issued the handbills directing the villagers to boycott the polls scheduled on April 24, creating panic among locals. Maoists also demanded release of their jailed leaders and workers and an immediate ban on ‘Operation Green Hunt’, check on price-rise, corruption and police atrocities on innocent villagers.

They visited villages of Tilaiya, Gurga, Birajpur Chawk, Birajpur High School, Sadhobad, Barbadih, Kharni Vidyalaya, Aasbani, Yadavpur, Kharni More near GT Road. Though police from local police stations removed the posters early today, villagers said that they would not cast vote at the cost of life, sources said. However, IG of police Bokaro range Lakshaman Prasad Singh said that Naxals have done this only to create panic as they have been completely wiped out from the region. Senior police officers from Jharkhand and West Bengal held joint meeting at Maithon to counter naxal activities and the IG had made massive patrolling in Naxal-influenced Tundi block to gain confidence of voters.

http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=834217

 

27Fir20-21.qxp

A delay in the deployment of additional forces in the Maoist stronghold of Bastar is making the local administration jittery, as intelligence inputs pour in about a strike by the rebels ahead of the Lok Sabha elections. It will take at least another week to position the extra troops pressed into duty in the red zone in the wake of the March 11 attack in Sukma district. The attack – in which 15 security personnel were killed – catalysed the decision to increase the number of troops on the ground. However, the requirement of security forces in areas most affected by violence has not been met. The number of troops in the state is still far below the levels required for the Lok Sabha polls.

The Assembly elections in November last year had remained largely peaceful due to unprecedented deployment of the forces. +4 A total of 377 companies from central paramilitary forces were deployed in the four districts of Sukma, Dantewada, Bijapur and Narayanpur – all Maoist strongholds. Now, there are only 44 companies hitting the ground and the situation is likely to remain the same until a week before the first phase of polling on April 10 in Bastar. Sources said, ideally, the administration would have wanted the same force levels as earlier or at least 200 companies, but it has now decided to make the best use of the resources at hand. As the elections are being held in phases across the country, the same numbers of troops cannot be provided now, they said. Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Shandilya is hopeful that the polls would be conducted peacefully. “In a week, there should be more than 100 companies (a company consists of about 100 personnel) in all the districts put together. It will give some time to the troops to familiarise themselves with the local conditions,” he said.

“We don’t want them to tire themselves out, so it’s good that they don’t have to stay here too long.” Local officials are on tenterhooks because of intelligence reports about efforts by Maoists to strike ahead of the elections and cause maximum damage. A 10-kg improvised explosive device planted on NH 30 connecting Jagdalpur and Hyderabad was recently defused by security forces. “There were IEDs planted at six to seven locations but, thankfully, they were detected and there was no damage,” said Shandilya.

There are also reports that the Maoists could target security forces and loot weapons ahead of the elections. Bastar is the most vulnerable region and with security forces failing to carry out operations to flush out Maoists, the rebels seem to be consolidating their position in that area. A security official involved in overseeing area domination operations in Dornapal region of Sukma district said the focus was now on pushing the rebels back. “We are unable to neutralise them and, now with elections just two weeks away, we want to make sure that they are pushed deep into the forests and away from polling booths,” he said….

27Fir20-21.qxp

…the Communist Party of India-Maoist, in a communication addressed to media organisations and human rights activists on March 22, claimed that security forces were harassing villagers and using force against women ahead of elections. “A batch of security forces in Tongpal area was involved in using unnecessary force. Even the women in the area protested. The police also fired and one woman was injured,” the letter stated. The letter, signed by Darbha divisional committee secretary Sudershan, said security forces were following orders of Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who had vowed revenge on the Maoists following the March 11 attack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2590190/Maoist-stronghold-Bastar-edge-troop-delay-polls-draw-closer.html

Naxalite threat to Dr Ajay’s life, JVM demands security

Jamshedpur: Jharkhand Vikas Morcha candidate for the Lok Sabha polls at Jamshedpur Dr Ajay Kumar faces threat of Naxalite attack to his life. The threat is being perceived after the recovery of a five kilogram heavy can bomb from Maheshduba village of Ghatsila block on Wednesday. Sources said the MP was planning to visit the said village for election campaign. The programme of the MP had been chalked out a week back. In view of the threat, JVM leader Abhay Singh today demanded protection for the MP who was busy in election campaign in Jamshedpur constituency, especially the Naxalite-hit areas in Ghatsila sub division. “The recovery of the can bomb exposes serious threat looming on the MP. There is only one route to Maheshduba where the Naxalites had planted the improvised explosive device unearthed by the police. It appears that the Naxalites had planned some major attack plan in the said village. Hence the district administration should take it seriously and provide adequate security to the MP,” said Abhay Singh on Wednesday.

http://www.avenuemail.in/jamshedpur/naxalite-threat-dr-ajays-life-jvm-demands-security/35713/

Ring of security to counter Red menace

KOZHIKODE: Authorities are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that the election in the tribal areas of Wayanad and Malappuram districts, which had witnessed a series of Maoist sightings recently, is not disturbed by Maoist menace. Roughly, 20 polling booths spread across Nilambur and Ernad assembly segments in Malappuram district, are classified as ‘hyper- sensitive’ following suspected Maoist activity reported in the regions. Additionally, as many as 39 polling booths in Wayanad, mostly near the forest areas, are also placed under sensitive category following the looming Maoist threat in the area.

The election and police authorities have chalked out a multi- pronged security strategy to thwart any possible plan by Naxals to scuttle the elections in the ‘Maoist-affected’ areas. The hyper- sensitive booths will have a facility for the live webcast of the entire poll process. Also foolproof security will be put in place at the polling booths by deploying armed CISF security and Thunderbolt commando team. Malappuram District Collector, K Biju told TOI that a total of five companies of armed security personnel belong to Karnataka battalion and CISF will be deployed exclusively for the booths in areas which had witnessed Maoist sightings.

“We have also taken steps to ensure reliable telecommunication connectivity in the hyper-sensitive polling booths. The facility for webcasting of the polls will also be set up at the booths for effective monitoring of the elections” he said. Wayanad district collector, Keshvendra Kumar said that video recording of polls would be conducted in all sensitive polling booths in areas which had reported suspected Maoist sightings. “We will also be posting micro observers in the sensitive booths to monitor the polling process and report untoward incidents, if any. Also there would be enhanced security in those booths by deploying CISF personnel,” he said.

Wayanad police chief Putta Vimaladitya, who is also the operational head of anti-Naxalite force constituted recently in the state, said that security in the tribal hamlets and areas bordering the forests will been beefed up in the run up to the elections. “We already have a mechanism to undertake sharing of information with our counterparts in Karnataka on Maoist movements. Also efforts are being made to provide adequate telecommunication facility in the far off regions by covering the mobile shadow areas using wireless facility,” he said. Wayanad Police had earlier this month issued lookout circular (LOC) against 10 suspected Maoists in connection with cases registered against them in various police stations in the district.

The Maoists squad had visited various tribal colonies in the three North Kerala districts over 40 times ever since they were first sighted in Kanjirakolly in Kannur district on February 1, 2013. In Nilambur, the government has decided to deploy armed policemen in addition to ‘thunderbolts’, the commando wing of the police in all polling booths in the region. District police chief S Sasikumar said: “The police force and commandos are well equipped to prevent any attacks at polling booths.”

The state police and Tamil Nadu police have already confirmed the presence of armed Maoist groups, more than 100 members, in the Nilambur forest region and these gangs are equipped with modern weapons including AK 47. The areas facing threats are Nilambur, Edakkara, Vazhikadavu, Pothukallu, Pookkottumpadam stations under Nilambur police circle and Kalikavu station under Vandur police circle. The police chief said 11 polling booths in Chokkad and Kalikavu panchayats could be targeted by Maoist for attacks.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/specials/lok-sabha-elections-2014/news/Ring-of-security-to-counter-Red-menace/articleshow/32744111.cms?

Maoist Posters Found

Posters asking people to boycott the elections have appeared in Vazhikkadavu and Edakkara areas, suspected to be issued by a Maoist group. Carrying the name of Janakeeya Janadipathya Sangham, the posters appealed the public to join the revolution for an exploitation-free India. The posters appeared on Wednesday morning. Special Branch has started investigation to trace those behind the posters. Earlier, a few groups had distributed notices urging to boycott elections in the tribal areas of Nilambur, since the declaration of elections.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/Maoist-Posters-Found/2014/03/27/article2132866.ece#.UzRBSJJTW1E

Maoists blow up mobile towers; cylinder bomb found as Narendra Modi visits Bihar

Patna: Hours after Maoists blew up two mobile telephone towers in Bihar’s Gaya district, a cylinder bomb was on Thursday recovered from a railway station ahead of ahead of two election rallies of Bharatiya Janata Party’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in the state. According to reports, the bomb, recovered at a railway station between Gaya and Mughal Sarai, was to be planted on Rajdhani Express. In a major security lapse, according to Superintendent of Police Nishant Tewari, nearly 100 Maoists gathered in the areas and blew up two mobile towers of a private company by exploding powerful bombs at Manjhauli and Dumaria Bazar villages late Wednesday night. The ultras have called a bandh in the Maoist-hit districts of south central part of the state in protest against the killing of 10 of their cadres in Chhatra recently.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/bihar/maoists-blow-up-mobile-towers-ahead-of-narendra-modi-s-rally-in-bihar_920545.html

Maoists in C’garh Warn Judges

In the first-ever salvo of its kind against the judiciary, Maoists in Chhattisgarh have issued a stern warning to the judges, who award punishment to the tribals “without any evidence or under instructions from the police”, that they will face trial in the people’s court(Jan Adalat). The warning was contained in a three-page statement signed by Dandkaranya Special Zone committee spokesperson Gudsa Usendi. And it alleged that the judges in the state had been passing judgments against the tribals and Maoist supporters merely on the basis of the evidence adduced by the police. To substantiate the charge, the extremists have cited the case of one of their woman cadre Nirmala, who was arrested by the police in 2007 and has been languishing in the Jagdalpur prison ever since. “145 cases were filed against her. In 100 of them, she has been set free.

This shows how the government is wrongly arresting people on the basis of false charges. Another cadre, Malti was given 10 years’ term for distributing a video CD that showed the atrocities committed by the Salva Judum. No evidence was submitted in her case. The HC rejected their appeal even without going into the merits of the case,” it said.The statement has also exhorted the media to highlight the problems encountered by the ‘political prisoners’, who are lodged at the various prisons in the state. According to the Naxals, several thousand tribals are languishing in the state’s jails. “The conditions in these prisons are very bad. Most of them are overcrowded, the food that they are provided is unhygienic. The prisoners, who demand their rights, are beaten up mercilessly by the prison officials,” the statement alleges.Naxals have warned the “corrupt prison officials”, who allegedly torture the Maoist cadre.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Maoists-in-Cgarh-Warn-Judges/2014/03/27/article2132994.ece#.UzRBU5JTW1E

Meet to discuss practical ways of tackling Reds

RANCHI: Having gone through volumes of texts describing Maoism and government policies on them, academics in Jharkhand have now taken an initiative to understand the practical aspects and come up with a viable well-researched approach towards dealing with a challenge that has kept the administration on its toes for more than two decades. The Centre for Human Rights and Conflict Management, Central University of Jharkhand, invited experts on the subject to participate in a first round-table conference on Naxalism, development and crisis of governance in the context of Jharkhand.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ranchi/Meet-to-discuss-practical-ways-of-tackling-Reds/articleshow/32770122.cms

This entry was posted in Maoists India, prisons, resistance, war and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.