World Popular Resistance Clippings 19/3/2014

Nepal_protestors_AP

No party unification until UCPN-M adopts our line: Baidhya

BHOJPUR: Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist Chairperson Mohan Baidhya today reiterated that unity with Unified CPN-Maoist was possible only if the latter to toed their line. Speaking at a press meet organised by the Revolutionary Journalists Association, Bhojpur, here, today, Baidhya rejected chances of unification with UCPN-M until the latter relinquishes its ideology and toes his party’s line. “Unity is desirable, but for this, they should be ready to quit their line and follow ours,” said Baidhya. He took strong exception to parties like Nepali Congress and CPN-UML for raising the issues of local elections and opening conflict-era cases in violation of the spirit of the Comprehensive Peace Accord.

KATHMANDU: The CPN-Maoist-affiliated All Nepal National Independent Students’ Union-Revolutionary (ANNISU-R) condemned police intervention on student unions’ protest programmes against the government’s decision to hike the prices of petroleum products. Issuing a press statement, ANNISU-R Chairman Sarad Rasaili demanded immediate release of cadres of student unions who have been arrested during the bandh today. The union’s central secretariat member Dhan Prasad Neupane, central member Sushil Khanal and Ratna Budha, Lalitpur district vice-chairperman Bhim Acharya, Bhaktapur district chairman Rishikesh Upadhyay, Kathmandu district members Krishna Sewa, Manoj Gautam, Dipendra Gautam and Niranjan Gaire, among others were arrested, according to Rasaili. 70 arrested in Kathmandu as fuel hike protests turn violent Kathmandu:

Normal life was affected in three districts of Kathmandu valley including the capital city as various student groups enforced a general strike and torched vehicles to protest a recent petroleum price hike. The agitating students attacked at least seven vehicles in Kathmandu, police said. At least seventy people have been detained in connection with vandalism, Kathmandu Metropolitan Police Circle spokesperson Arjun Chand Thakuri told PTI.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/70-arrested-in-kathmandu-as-fuel-hike-protests-turn-violent-1441059.html

4927499C-B2B2-4264-88D8-62E094E64683.jpg__209__400__CROPz0x209y400

Leftist group stages strike at city hotbed of unrest

Santiago.- Community groups of Las Palomas township, city of Licey, stage a 24-hour shutdown starting Wednesday morning, to protest its deteriorated streets. In addition to Las Palomas and Uveral, the protest affects other communities, with rocks being hurled at passing vehicles and trenches dug on the streets to halt traffic. The protesters demand a road to link the towns Los Marte, Limonal Abajo and Los Arias, as well as a sports complex and a government-funded pharmacy.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2014/3/19/50902/Leftist-group-stages-strike-at-city-hotbed-of-unrest

marcha-colombia

Colombia: Farmers Protest Alleged Violation of Agriculture Agreement

On Monday, representatives of indigenous communities, Afro-Colombians, and campesinos held demonstrations in Plaza Bolívar, Bogotá, to demand a new agriculture policy seeking solutions to the problem of land access and greater protection from free trade agreements. The movement was launched following the conclusion of the “Cumbre Agraria Campesina, Étnica y Popular” (Agrarian Summit of the Campesino, the Ethnic, and the Masses), which hosted 11 organizations, including the National Agrarian Coordination (CNA), the Black Community Movement (PCN), the Congress of the People, the Patriot March, the Roundtable of Dialogue and Agreement (MIA), and the National Indigenous Organization of Colombia.

The agrarian summit, which began last Saturday, considered eight central issues and compiled a list of grievances citing the Santos government in violation of the Great National Agrarian Pact, which ended the agricultural strikes that took place in August and September of last year.

http://panampost.com/marcela-estrada/2014/03/19/colombia-farmers-protest-alleged-violation-of-agriculture-agreement/

Benue: Gboko boils as soldiers, anti-riot policemen kill six

Pandemonium Tuesday broke out in Gboko, the headquarters of Gboko Local Government Area of Benue State, following the death of six persons believed to have been killed by the combined forces of soldiers and anti-riot policemen. Reports say that trouble ensued on Tuesday when a youth in the area, who had gone into the bush around Dangote Cement plant at Tse Kucha, Gboko LGA to defecate, was shot in the head by a soldier posted to the plant. The youths in the area, while protesting the killing, marched round the town with the corpse of the victims and ended up blocking the highway for several hours before they were dislodged by the security forces. It was further learnt that in the process of dislodging the youth using firearms, five other persons lost their lives.

http://dailypost.ng/2014/03/19/benue-gboko-boils-soldiers-anti-riot-policemen-kill-six/

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.