Behind China’s Labor Unrest: Factory Workers and Taxi Drivers
What’s the state of dissent among China’s hundreds of millions of workers? They are increasingly aware of and demanding their rights, according to a new report by the China Labor Bulletin. There were 1,171 strikes and protests in China recorded by the Hong Kong-based labor advocacy group from June 2011 until the end of last year. Of those, 40 percent occurred among factory workers, as China’s exports suffered a slowdown and its overall economy cooled.
“Many manufacturers in China sought to offset their reduced profits by cheating workers out of overtime and cutting back on bonuses and benefits, etc. These cost-cutting tactics proved to be a regular source of conflict with the workforce,” notes the report, “Searching for the Union: The workers’ movement in China 2011-13″ which was published on Thursday.
Balochistan unrest: Eight killed in Washuk gun battle
QUETTA: Eight people were killed and two others injured in a fierce gun battle between two armed groups in Washuk on Thursday. “Two armed groups opened fire at each other in the Bessema area of Washuk,” Washuk Deputy Commissioner Qadir Baksh Purkani told The Express Tribune. He confirmed eight deaths and two injuries. According to Purkani, seven of those killed in the clash belonged to the Baloch Liberation Front while one belonged to the Baloch Musala Difa Army – a pro-government outfit. The gun battle started around 11am and continued for six hours, he said….
Rail track, power pylon blown up
A railway track in Dera Murad Jamali and a power pylon in Sohbatpur were blown up in separate incidents on Thursday. According to a Balochistan Levies official, unidentified militants planted an IED near the railway track in the Mangoli area of Dera Murad Jamali. The subsequent explosion damaged a three-foot portion of the track, he said, disrupting railway services in the area. Services were restored after a five-hour break. On the other hand, a 220kV pylon supplying electricity to districts in Punjab was blown up by unidentified miscreants, Sohbatpur District Police Officer Jan Muhammad Khosa said.
30 farmers, 20 cops injured in clash in Amritsar
Nearly 30 farmers, including women, were injured after police resorted to a lathicharge to quell the electricity officials confined by the agitating farmers sitting on dharna outside the office of Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) late on Friday evening. Virtual clash broke out when cops started cane charge injuring about 30 farmers representing Kissan Sangharsh Committee(KSC) and in clash nearly 20 cops including SP where tear gas shells were also fired. Although KSC activists claimed that police also used the firearm during the clash but police denied from this. During this clash, police vehicles were also damaged due to stone pelting.
10 Gazans hit by Israel gunfire in border clash: medics
GAZA CITY: Ten Palestinian men were wounded by Israeli army gunfire Friday in clashes near the border fence in the central Gaza Strip, Palestinian medical sources said. Ashraf al-Qudra, a spokesman for the Hamas-run health ministry, said one man was in serious condition after being shot in the head.
Tenasserim villagers protest military land grab
Residents of Thayetchaung, in Tenasserim [Taninthayi] Region, have protested the seizure of farmland by the military and government to build a railroad, and demanded fair compensation. The protestors marched in front of the Mawshaegone Buddhist Monastery in Mawshaegone village from early [Wednesday] morning and walked along the Myeik-Dawei Highway. “The reason for this demonstration is the seizure of 500 acres of farmland in 1990 to build a military base for regiments 403, 404 and 405. The military also seized about 400 acres of pasture for a training ground. They only built military buildings on 30 acres of land. The pasture seized for military training ground has been rented to a businessman to do a rubber plantation business. That’s the reason of our demonstration,” said Nyi Nyi Naing from Kazi village.
Experts say Basque group ETA seals arms cache
MADRID (AP) — International mediators say the armed Basque separatist group ETA has placed a small quantity of guns and explosives out of use in what is seen as a first step toward an unconditional total disarmament. Ram Manikkalingam, spokesman for the commission of mediators overseeing the Basque group’s 2011 ceasefire told reporters Friday in the northern city of Bilbao that ETA had sealed the small arsenal and placed it ‘‘out of operational use.’’