World Popular Resistance Clippings 18/2/2014

savar-map

15 hurt as Savar RMG workers clash with cops

At least 15 people were injured as workers demonstrating for their arrears clashed with police in Savar, on the outskirts of the capital, this morning. Around 200 workers of CPM Knit Composite Limited started the demonstration outside the factory around 11:00am and tried to restore to vandalism demanding their salary for the month of January. Informed by the garment authorities, police rushed to the stop and charged batons to disperse the workers. They also fired rubber bullets when the demonstrating workers pelted brick chips on the law enforcers triggering a clash, said Mostafizur Rahman, director of Ashulia Industrial Police.

http://www.thedailystar.net/15-hurt-as-savar-rmg-workers-clash-with-cops-11908

policemen

2 police officers feared killed in clash with Gombe youth

Two police officers were feared dead following a clash between them and some youth in Difa Village of Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Area of Gombe State. A reliable source in the area told the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Gombe that the incident occurred in the night of February 16. According to the source, some police officers on routine night patrol from Kwadon division arrested some youth in the village for allegedly being in possession of illegal drugs.

The source said that the arrest did not go down well with other youth whose protest led to violent clashes that resulted in the death and burning of the bodies of the two policemen. Police investigators from Gombe had reportedly been deployed to the area to investigate the incident, a development that compelled many youth and elderly men to flee the village.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/155363-2-police-officers-feared-killed-clash-gombe-youth.html

French ‘red caps’ clash with police in protest over eco-tax

BRECH, France, Feb. 18 (UPI) — A weekend protest by anti-tax “red caps” in France’s Brittany region turned into a riot resulting in four injuries, French media reported. Hundreds of protesters wearing the traditional red headgear symbolizing Breton resistance to the tax policies of the Socialist-led government of President Francois Hollande clashed with police in Brech, about 300 miles west of Paris, the daily Ouest-France reported. Three protesters and a French gendarme were injured and three were arrested during the confrontation amid heavy gale conditions along the RN 165 highway, which was closed by police as a preventative measure.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2014/02/18/French-red-caps-clash-with-police-in-protest-over-eco-tax/UPI-14791392699780/

Conflicted earth

..During the insurgency there were at least 6,200 cases of then Maoist rebels seizing land from people they regarded as “wealthy landlords” and distributing the same to those they regarded poor. In a few instances, even the state seized land from the owners for one reason or another. In many areas, the seized properties have been returned through different mediations. But no authentic record exists so far.

At least 7,700 cases of transactions of ownership were carried out by the Maoist mechanism in five districts of mid-western region alone, which are not recognized by legal authorities. To add fire to the fuel, land records have been partially or completely destroyed in many district offices, which aggravates the question of security of tenure. While the major concern should be to address broader issues on land, post–conflict land issues also demand resolution…

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=69756

ANNISU-R padlock PU’s liaison office

KATHMANDU, FEB 18 – CPN-Maoist aligned All Nepal National Independent Students Union- Revolutionary ( ANNISU-R ) has padlock ed Sinamangal-based liaison office of the Purbanchal University (PU) for an indefinite period from Tuesday. ANNISU-R Secretary Khageshwor KC said that they locked the office from Tuesday for an indefinite period. The student organisation padlock ed the office alleging that examination results have not been published since 18 months, dispute between the vice-chancellor and registrar has not been resolved and that the question papers were leaked. KC said that they were compelled to lock the office as central member of the organisation, Narendra BK, has not been released yet. BK was arrested two weeks ago when ANNISU-R cadres vandalised vice-chancellor Maheshwor Man Shrestha’s vehicle when he was on board.

http://www.ekantipur.com/2014/02/18/headlines/ANNISU-R-padlock-PUs-liaison-office/385544/

Strike and protest action in South Africa is becoming increasingly violent

South Africa has been rocked by violent service delivery protests and riots, causing extensive damage to businesses and consumers who are at risk of incurring significant losses should their insurance coverage not have been extended to include cover for damage and business disruption as a result of strikes, riots and civil commotion available through Sasria.

From January 2013 to 9 Feb 2014, South Africa recorded a staggering 430 service delivery protests – an average of 33 per month, or one per day according to the Institute for Security Studies. Gauteng leads by a massive margin in terms of violent protests, followed by KZN and Limpopo. At least 10 people have died during such protests, and both government and private property have been seriously damaged, with protesters setting fire to government buildings, private properties, homes of government officials and vehicles caught in the fray.

According to Graeme Fuller, Quality & Technical Specialist at Aon South Africa, standard insurance policies available through private sector insurers do not provide cover for damage to assets as a result of these types of events as they are precluded from underwriting these risks. “Cover is available in South Africa through the state-owned insurer – Sasria SOC Limited.” “Sasria, which was originally founded to provide cover for politically motivated riots, covers damage caused by riot (both political and non-political), public disorder, including labour disturbances, civil unrest, strikes and lockouts.”

“It is the only organisation in South Africa authorised to provide insurance cover for losses caused as a result of these types of events,” explains Graeme. According to Sasria’s 2013 annual report, its claims frequency increased by 91% driven primarily by labour strikes, while claims severity increased by 135% compared with 2012. Sasria’s importance seems clearer than ever as the uncertainties in the socioeconomic environment mean that “special risks” as defined in Sasria’s terms of reference, have become a permanent part of the risk management landscape as the challenges of industrial action, workplace disruption, social unrest and service delivery protests proliferate.

http://www.itinews.co.za/companyview.aspx?cocategoryid=61&companyid=22416&itemid=60EFE349-02FA-401B-80BB-5468DA67BCB5

Eight Detainees Holding Hunger Strike In Israeli Prisons

The Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS) has reported that eight Palestinians detainees, held by Israel, have been holding hunger strikes demanding to be released, as they are held without charges or trial under arbitrary Administrative Detention. The PPS said that detainees Moammar Banat, Akram al-Qaisy and Wahid Abu Maria started their open-ended hunger strike on January 9. It added that detainee Amir Shammas started his strike on January 11, while detainee Abdul-Majid Khdeirat started his strike on January 15, after the army rearrested him.

He was initially released under the Shalit prisoner swap deal in 2011, and his previous sentence was reinstated. Furthermore, detainees Husam Amr and Mousa Sufan started their hunger strike on January 25, protesting their solitary confinement that started five months ago at the Majeddo Israeli prison. Sufan also needs medical attention, but is denied this right. Also, detainee Eyad Esteity, held at the Asqalan Prison, started his strike on February 1st, after Israel refused to move him to a prison close to his family so that they can visit him. He is also demanding to be removed from solitary confinement.

http://www.imemc.org/article/67028

New IRA group claims responsibility for parcel bombs

LONDON, Feb. 17 (UPI) — A group calling itself the “IRA” has claimed responsibility for seven crude parcel bombs sent to British army recruiting stations last week, officials said. The IRA, or Irish Republican Army, disbanded in the mid-2000s after declaring an official end to its guerrilla military campaign against Britain for Irish independence. Recently, a new group formed ahead of the London Olympics in 2012 calling itself the “New IRA” formed and was linked to letter bombs sent last fall, the Mirror reported Monday. The recent parcel bombs, seven in total, a government spokesman said, were discovered undetonated at British army recruitment centers across the United Kingdom.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/02/17/New-IRA-group-claims-responsibility-for-parcel-bombs/UPI-48091392665792/

This entry was posted in prisons, resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.