Maoist bandh, high court order yield result
RANCHI: The chief minister on Friday approved premature release of 51 convicts after Maoists called for a statewide shutdown in support of the prisoners’ cause. Taking cognizance of the Jharkhand high court order to submit reports on the inmates, Hemant Soren finally convened the meeting of the State sentence Review Board (SSRB) pending for more than a year and approved premature release of 51 convicts after considering 106 applications.
Chairing the SSRB meet, Soren clarified that though the board could compassionately take a decision to release the prisoners convicted for life, it should not be considered a right of the convicts. “While considering the applications receive for premature release of life convict it is necessary to consider the criminal background of the individual and also the potential impact on society and his family, if released,” he said. Soren clarified that the remaining applications could also be considered but after thorough verification of the background.
The meeting was attended by chief secretary RS Sharma, principal secretary home NN Pandey, ADG CID SN Pradahan and other officials of the home and prison department. Meanwhile, life remained almost paralysed in rural parts of the state. The 24 hours bandh called by Maoists affected normal life in Bermo sub-division comprising naxal prone blocks and areas like Jhumra and Upperghat in Bokaro.
A dipalidated building under Nawadih police station of the district was blown off by the Maoists. As the building was abandoned no one was injured in the incident. The coal and ash transportation in coal mines and power plant also were crippled. The commercial vehicles also remained off the roads including long route buses. In Gumla the bandh was highly effective with vehicles remaining off road and shops remaining closed. Bauxite carriage was affected in Lohardgga whereas transportation of minerals in West singhbhum was also affected.
No IG in Dumka, anti-Maoist ops affected
DUMKA: The post of inspector general of police in Dumka has been vacant for the past six months and is proving detrimental to anti-Maoist operations in the Santhal Pargana, besides affecting day-to-day administrative decisions. The post fell vacant after the former IG, Arun Oraon, was transferred in August last year. But the state government is yet to name an IG in Dumka, which falls in Jharkhand’s Maoist belt.
The Maoist ambush, which killed Pakur SP Amarjeet Balihar and five security personnel on July 2 last year, near Kathikund in Dumka has raised security concerns in the district. But investigation in the case has made little progress with arrest of only three persons out of the four dozens suspected Maoists named in the FIR, said police. A police officer, on condition of anonymity, said an inspector general is responsible for co-ordinating with cops in different districts as well as bordering states. Godda BJP MP Nishikant Dubey said, “The Hemant Soren government is virtually patronizing the rebel organization for its political motivations. The state’s indifference to post an IG here shows how much JMM is committed to remove Maoist menace from the state.”
Maoists torch 10 vehicles of road construction company in Bihar
MUZAFFARPUR: Armed Maoists torched ten vehicles of a private road construction company at a village in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district. About 200 armed Maoists stormed the workshop of the JMB construction company at Misraulia village late Friday night and vandalized the camp before torching ten vehicles, Senior Superintendent of Police Saurabh Kumar said. The attack took place as they did not fulfil their demand for levy, he said.
Bandh affects mobile lok adalat
DALTONGANJ: The ongoing strike by government employees at block offices here and fear of Maoist bandh have affected mobile lok adalats in Palamu. On Friday, the mobile lok adalat was scheduled to visit Harihurganj in north palamu, about 240km from Ranchi. However, it was postponed because of the statewide strike by Maoists, said secretary of the Palamu district legal services authority K K Jha on Friday but did not give any new date. “We are finding it difficult to send petitions concerning various government schemes to respective offices in the collectorate and other government offices because of the (employees’) strike,” said Jha.
Hardcore Maoist held with pistol
A hardcore Maoist was arrested today with a weapon from Kadhautia Bazar under Shikarganj police station area in Bihar’s East Champaran district, police sources said. Acting on a tip off, the police raided a hideout and nabbed the Maoist, identified as Naresh Paswan, with a pistol, an ammunition and a mobile phone, the sources said. A self-styled commander of the proscribed CPI(Maoist), Paswan was wanted in several cases of naxal violence in the district, they said.
Blast in Nawadih, cops see Red trap
BOKARO: Suspected members of the CPI(Maoist) on Friday triggered an explosion inside an abandoned house at Maoist-hit Kadrukhuta village in Nawadih. Police said they received reports from villagers who heard the blast on Friday morning but did not visit the spot as this could be a Maoist trap to kill police personnel. No one was hurt in the incident. Bokaro SP Jitender Singh said they are yet to confirm the incident.
The house, which was blown off, belonged to one Surmali Miya who now lives in Narayanpur in the neighbouring panchayat, and was in a dilapidated condition. The rebels called a statewide bandh on Friday in support of prisoners in district jails who are demanding release of a few convicts after jail term. The daylong bandh was effective in Bermo sub-division, Jhumra and Upperghat here.
Seizure of Army booklet from Maoists baffles cops
The Bihar police are baffled over the seizure of an Army booklet which contains all the necessary and detailed information about how to make improvised explosive devices (IEDs). The booklet was seized during an anti-Maoist operation carried out in the forest of Haveli Kharagpur in Bihar’s Munger district. “This is perhaps for the first time in Bihar’s history that a secret document of the Indian Army has been seized from the hideout of Maoists. This document is supplied only to Army officers. Even police officers below the rank of SPs do not have access to such documents,” said Munger SP, V K Sinha.
Manipur: Assam Rifles personnel killed in insurgents’ attack
Imphal: An Assam Rifles personnel was killed and three others were seriously injured when insurgents ambushed a paramilitary force party at Lambisa in Manipur’s Ukhrul district on Saturday. Insurgents exploded a powerful bomb and opened fire at the road opening party of 44th Assam Rifles battalion, killing one personnel and injuring three others, officials said.