15 injured airlifted to Ranchi
RANCHI: Police air-lifted 15 jawans who were injured by Maoists to the emergency wing of Ranchi’s Apollo Hospital on Monday evening. Three of the 15 injured jawans have been shifted to the ICU where they are said to be critical. One of the jawans has lost his right leg in the ambush, police sources said. The police used three helicopters to air-lift the jawans, 13 from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and two from Jharkhand Jaguar (JJ), from Madhuwan area at the foothills of Giridih’s Parasnath, 300 km from here. Maoists had triggered multiple blasts there which injured the 15 policemen and killed CRPF’s Badal Mandal. Mandal hailed from West Bengal.
“We have rushed all the jawans to Apollo for better treatment. The critical jawans have been shifted to the ICU,” said DGP Rajiv Kumar. The helicopters landed on the premises of Vikash Vidyalaya, near the hospital. The jawans were shifted to the hospital in ambulances. “All the three jawans who are in the ICU belong to the CRPF,” said a source at the hospital. The names of the jawans could not be obtained. “All of them have received injuries in the lower half of their bodies. The three critical jawans have sustained injuries in the upper half as well,” said a police officer who did not wish to be identified.
Shutdown call by Maoists’ disrupts normal life in Bihar
Gaya (Bihar), Jan.27 (ANI): Normal life was disrupted in most parts Bihar on Monday due to a shutdown called by Maoists. The Divisional Magistrate of state transport, Ashok Kumar, expressed helplessness over the situation in Bihar’s Gaya district. “Maoists have called shutdown in Magadh area, because of which we have stopped all the transport,” he said. A tourist in Gaya, Surya Pratap, expressed inconvenience caused due to the shutdown. “Today we have no transport here, we are troubled as there are no buses and we are facing a lot of difficulties in commuting,” Surya Pratap said.
Naxal arrested for ‘provoking’ villagers against Rowghat rail line project
In its ongoing exercise to clip the wings of a strong urban network of Maoists, Chhattisgarh Police on Tuesday claimed to have arrested a Naxal conduit who was allegedly involved in mobilising villagers against the Rowghat rail line project in Kanker district. Badri Gavde, said to be a Congress worker and staying and operating from Antagarh block of Kanker, was apprehended on Monday, Superintendent of Police (Intelligence), Rajnesh Singh told PTI. “Gavde confessed that had been doing liaisons with some leaders of Congress for getting the party ticket to contest Vidhan Sabha election,” Singh said. On the direction of his senior cadres, Gavde, a self- styled social worker, had founded an organisation ‘Rowghat Bachao Jila Sangharsh Samiti’ to mobilise villagers against the proposed Dalli-Rajhara Rowghat Rail Line meant to haul iron ore from the proposed Rowghat mines, the SP said.
“He had also arranged secret meetings of NGO workers with the top Maoists during which they chalked out strategies to oppose Rowghat project,” he said. “Earlier, Gavde’s name had surfaced in the statement of Virendra Kurre, the main accused arrested in connection with the last year’s arson and violence in J K Laxmi Cement Plant,” he said. “At that time, Kurre had revealed that Gavde, a native of Tadoki village in Kanker district, was associated with the protest against development projects,” he said. He also admitted to playing a key role in fixing Maoists’ meeting with prominent people from Delhi in the forests of Abhjmad. With this fresh arrest, so far nine Naxal conduits, all residents of Kanker region who were allegedly part of the channel providing logistic and financial support to Maoists, have been held, he said.
Gadchiroli: Naxals gun down 2 villagers
Naxals killed two villagers at Kishtapur in Gadchiroli on Monday night, police said on Tuesday. “Raju Ajmera, a kirana shopkeeper, and Laxman Sidam, a farm labourer, both around 35 years of age, were called out by Naxals and questioned over their alleged role as police informers. They refuted the charge, but the Naxals repeated the allegations and also beat them up. Some villagers opposed the Naxal action, but they were also beaten up. Thereafter, the Naxals took the two away from the village asked them to run and shot them from behind,” Gadchiroli Superintendent of Police Suvez Haq told The Indian Express.
Six Naxals arrested during joint search operation in Narayanpur
Six naxalites, involved in several incidents of crimes, were arrested during a joint search operation in Maoist-hit Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Tuesday. The naxals identified as as Ramlal Yadav(30), Sukhdahr Korram (28),Chainu (35), Bajnath Korram 20), Ramchandra Salaam (26)and Ramji Korram (26),all members of Dhaudai local operation squad (LOS) of Maoist were nabbed last evening, Narayanpur Superintendent of Police Amit Kamble said. Based on a tip off, the joint team of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and district rounded up the cadres from Sulenga and Maskol forests located around 350 kms away from the state capital Raipur, under Dhaudai police station limits, he said.
Besides, live cartridges of Insas rifle, naxal banners and other related items were recovered from their possession. They were involved in several incidents of crime including attempt to murder, arson and obstructing the assembly election process, he said.
Armed Maoists attack police outpost, forced to retreat
Gaya: Armed Maoists attacked and opened fire on the Chakrabandha police outpost under Dumariya police station of Bihar’s naxal-hit Gaya district yesterday but an alert security forces retaliated forcing the ultras to flee, a police officer said. The Maoists opened fire on the police outposts which over 100 CRPF and Bihar police officials retaliated, Senior Superintendent of Police Nishant Kumar Tiwari said. The security forces return fires forced the ultras to flee in the darkness, he said. There is no report of casaulty from either sides in the exchange of fire, the SSP said.
Frequent threats from rebels worry UCIL officials
JAMSHEDPUR: In the wake of Maoist posters appearing every now and then on heavy vehicles that ferry Uranium ore from Bagjata mines to Jadugora processing unit, in adjoining Seraikela-Kharsawan district, the Uranium Corporation of India Ltd (UCIL) has expressed apprehensions over excavation work. The company has said if posters with warnings continue to appear on the trucks for long the uranium excavation work shall be hampered here. For the last several weeks, posters instructing transporters to stop ferrying uranium ore from the Bagjata mines have been appearing on the trucks at regular intervals causing fear and tension among the transporters.
The CPI (Maoist) squad leaders have threatened transporters with dire consequences if they continue to do business with the UCIL as local people are allegedly opposed to the excavation work at Bagjata. “We are experiencing a modest slowdown in transportation work owing to Maoist threats and probably the enrichment work will suffer in the long run if they (rebels) continue doing the same in the future,” said chairman and managing director of UCIL, Diwakar Acharya. The banned outfit had been demanding permanent jobs for the locals in the company as compensation against land acquisition in Bagjata is already mired in controversy. “Over 150 displaced families in Bagjata are yet to be compensated but the company refuses to recognize them as oustees,” said a member of the Jharkhand Krantikari Mazdoor Union apparently confirming Maoists demand.
Did security personnel walk into a trap in Giridih?
NEW DELHI: The 15 security personnel who were injured — one fatally — in a series of landmine blasts in Giridih, Jharkhand on Monday had, perhaps, walked into a trap laid by Naxalites despite taking all precautions. Sources said the jawans — on an operation to rescue four government officials kidnapped by Naxalites on Saturday — took the most difficult and less-trodden path thinking Naxalites would never imagine forces taking the route. But the ultras were a step ahead and mined the same route. “It was either a case of Naxalites thinking ahead of the forces or they had prior intelligence of troop movement. Either way, they got the better of the forces this time,” said an official from the anti-Naxalite security establishment.
The home ministry fears the whole kidnapping episode (of low-level entitlement scheme workers by the Maoists) may have been a plot to draw out the counter-Naxalite security forces on a possible search operation and then target them with landmines. “The hostages were not high-value targets. Also, there were no demands made by the Naxalites for freeing the hostages. This indicates that the purpose was essentially to lay a trap for the forces to launch a search operation, giving the Maoists an opportunity to set off landmines along their route,” a home ministry official told TOI.
Released PMRDF recounts two days in Maoists’ captivity
A day after Maoists released four government workers they had abducted on Saturday, Sai Vamsi Wardhan, a Prime Minister Rural Development Fellow (PMRDF), one of the four taken hostage, recounted that the Maoists had explicitly stated that they had abducted them to use them as bait to trap security forces. Over 500 security personnel – seven companies of CRPF and four of special assault group Jharkhand Jaguar – were deployed in search operations since Sunday. Badal Mandal from CRPF’s 22 Battalion was killed and 11 others were injured when a series of anti-personnel mines were triggered while they were searching Dholghatta village on Monday.
“A 12-15 member group abducted us. From among them, a 40-45 year old man assured us that we will not be harmed; they did not keep us tied or blindfolded. They said we will find out only later why we were abducted,” recounted Mr Wardhan, a 25-year old software engineer from Andhra Pradesh working in Giridih since 2012. “On Monday, I heard loud blasts and asked what had happened. One of them distributed sweets among everyone including us and said they had attained their target of attacking CRPF. An hour later they allowed us to walk to a place from where we could access the road,” he said.
Former Salwa Judum leader shot dead by Maoists
RAIPUR: A former Salwa Judum leader was on Tuesday shot dead allegedly by Maoists in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district, police said. Bodhiram Machhi (55) was killed when he was going for work at an under construction stop dam in Bendre police station limits of the district, Bijapur deputy superintendent of police Sukhnandan Rathore told PTI. Prominent in his native area for strongly opposing the Maoists, Machhi was working as a construction worker. He was shot dead by around 10 armed Maoists, the DSP said. Soon after the incident, police team was sent to the spot to retrieve the body, he said.