Peoples War in India Clippings 27/12/2013

bagchi3-a

Outlawed Maoists may augment aggression next year, fears Intelligence Bureau

The next year is likely to pose a bigger challenge to the counter-insurgency operation in Chhattisgarh where the CPI(Maoist) is planning to observe its 10th year of foundation and is being feared to unite all Naxal groups in the country to carry out major ‘events’. “Senior members of the outlawed CPI(Maoist) held a meeting in the state’s Gariyaband forest bordering Odisha recently to chalk out the strategy for next year, which will see a decade of its formation,” a state intelligence bureau official said.

Expanding base areas, logistic support base in urban areas, multi-layered networking among like-minded people, publication of Maoist literature comprising biography of the killed cadres, PLGA bulletin and documentary film making on their ideology are among the important issues discussed in the meeting aimed for next year planning, the official said. The Maoist Communist Centre (MCC) and People’s War Group (PWG) merged to form CPI(Maoist) on September 21, 2004 and since then they have been observing foundation week from September 21 to 27.

“Like every year, Left Wing guerrillas will observe a foundation week during this period next year but due to completion of ten years of its formation, they may observe it throughout the year in varied ways with aggressive tone, as per documents received from Naxal camps,” the official said. One of their prime agenda for next year is to regain their base in those areas where they lost hold in the recent past and intensify conversion of People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army in to People’s Liberation Army for fighting a violent armed struggle with government forces, he said. Sixteen of 27 districts in Chhattisgarh are Naxal-hit in varying degrees, with significant consolidation in southern part of the state bordering AP, Maharashtra and Odisha.

The naxals will make an attempt to activate their friendly NGOs to step up propaganda and induct more heads in other parts of the state, the IB official said. Creation of a sub-committee to maintain websites and produce propaganda material against security forces are among their other strategies for 2014, the IB official said.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-outlawed-maoists-may-augment-aggression-next-year-fears-intelligence-bureau-1941263

Odisha: Security tightened as Maoists call indefinite Bandh in Malkangiri, Koraput districts from Dec.28

Report by Kishore Dash, Malkangiri: Protesting the union government’s decisionu to deploy 40,000 more security forces in Maoist infested areas to further intensify the operation, the CPI (Maoist) has announced an indefinite bandh in Koraput and Malkangiri districts from tomorrow. No vehicles will be allowed to ply on the roads and all the shops and business establishments in Malkangiri and Koraput districts have to keep their shutters down during the bandh. However, the hospitals and medicine stores will be exempted during the indefinite bandh beginning from tomorrow, said CPI (Maoist) Malkangiri Divisional Committee Secretary Punam Chandar in an audio tape released today.

The rebel leader has appealed the people to oppose the operation against the innocent people in the name of the Maoists .The police personnel’s engaged in anti-Maoist operation should ask themselves against whom they are fighting, he said. Claiming the responsibility for the blast of the block office at Podia, the Maoist leader Punam Chandar said the attack was in protest against the fake Silakota encounter on September 24 this year. Mean while, both the districts have been put on high alert following the indefinite bandh call by the Maoists. Security has been heightened in all the sensitive places and Border Security Forces, Special Operation Group jawans and District Voluntary Forces have been asked to keep a hawk-eye vigil over the situation during the bandh to prevent possible untoward incident during the Maoist bandh. –

http://orissadiary.com/CurrentNews.asp?id=46774

 

20111023144014954734_9 (1)

In a first in India, 40,000 troops launch mammoth anti-Naxal operation

An anti-Naxal operation involving close to 40,000 security personnel was launched today in all affected states today with an aim to strike at the root of Maoist formations and cadres. The four-day operations, led by paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), was started at the crack of the dawn at 4 am from Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra and other states. This is the first time the forces, both central and state, have launched a coordinated operation to flush out Naxals from their interior hotbeds. “The operation has begun today and a huge deployment of joint forces has been made.

The idea is to scramble all the forces at one time so that Naxals cannot flee into neighbouring territories if they feel pressure by the security forces in one area,” CRPF chief Dilip Trivedi told PTI. Officials said all the states, which also include West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh are part of this maiden offensive being undertaken against Maoist groups. The proposal was recently mooted during a meeting of police chiefs of all the Naxal violence hit states and the results of the four-day operations will be analysed threadbare and a decision to undertake such offensives in the future would be decided.

The operation is being coordinated by CRPF with other forces like ITBP, BSF, SSB and various state police forces. Close to 40,000 personnel have been mobilised, especially along state borders, to take on the Naxals, sources said. The forces, according to sources, have asked their senior commanders to be on ground and all the operations are coordinated not only at state police headquarters here but also at the CRPF directorate here. Enough quantity of arms and ammunition has also been made available to the forces while a fleet of BSF and IAF helicopters have been positioned by air droppings and evacuation. Initial reports did not suggest any casualty on the forces’ side but few Naxal camps have been busted, they said.

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/In-a-first-in-India–40-000-troops-launch-mammoth-anti-Naxal-operation/1212144

State cops bat for women force to combat Red trend

The state police is beefing up infrastructure in Gadchiroli, the south-eastern corner of Maharashtra, with an aim to deploy a large force of women officers after receiving inputs that the number of women cadres in the naxal groups has ‘risen significantly’. Police sources said the cops’ recent encounters with naxals in the area have proved the inputs have been accurate. Just two months ago, security forces gunned down two women cadres near Hiddoor village of Etapalli sub-division in south Gadchiroli, but the naxals had the last laugh when the commandos were caught in a counter-attack, resulting in the death of one jawan.

A senior police officer said, “The naxals divide themselves in a group of 24, which is called a dalam. Till a year ago, each dalam would have two, or at the most three women cadres. We now find around a dozen women in each dalam. Our encounters with the rebels revealed the women are well versed in handling arms and explosives.” The Gadchiroli district is bounded by Chhattisgarh to the east, and Andhra Pradesh to the south and southwest. The district is part of the Red Corridor, a region that experiences considerable naxalite-Maoist insurgency. “The rebels are finding it tough to recruit men, who prefer to leave behind their families and migrate to cities. The women in these areas are easy targets. Lured by the promise of power and independence, many women have taken up arms,” the officer said.

No facilities for women cops

Though the state police have 700 women personnel at their disposal, the main problem in deploying them in jungle areas is the lack of facilities. “We are now trying to build infrastructure here. Our men can go deep inside the jungles, but women personnel find it difficult due to lack of facilities suited for their stay. We have now moved proposals and initiated the procedure to make them more comfortable,” he said. Inspector General (law and order) Deven Bharti said there was no data with the cops to confirm the rise of women cadres among the naxals. “We come across incidents of women being exploited by the rebel outfits, and hear such stories from time to time when some insurgents, who also include women, surrender,” he said.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/others/State-cops-bat-for-women-force-to-combat-Red-trend/articleshow/27995010.cms

Wanted ‘rebel’ arrested in Garhwa

Garhwa: An alleged rebel, stated to be a former Maoist ultra, was on Thursday arrested from Kerwa village in Garhwa district, the police said here. “Makhan Singh Kharwa, who left the CPI (Maoist) and formed an outfit of his own, was arrested. He confessed that his outfit has 10 members,” Superintendent of Police Mayur Patel told reporters here. Kharwa, from whom the police recovered a rifle and a pair of ‘uniform’, was wanted in at least five Naxal-related cases. PTI

http://zeenews.india.com/news/jharkhand/wanted-rebel-arrested-in-garhwa_899631.html

Maoists torch vehicle in Jharkhand

Ranchi: Maoist guerrillas set afire a vehicle engaged in road construction in Jharkhand’s Simdega district, police said Thursday. The guerrillas set the vehicle ablaze near Pawara village, around 110 km from Ranchi, Wednesday night. This was third incident involving Maoists in the last three days in Simdega district. On Monday night, guerrillas killed three people by slitting their throats. A couple was also killed the same way Tuesday night, while a vehicle was torched Wednesday.

http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/maoists-torch-vehicle-in-jharkhand-31914.html

Maoists Torch Five Vehicles in Bihar

Maoists set on fire five vehicles of a private construction company in Bihar’s Gaya district and assaulted half a dozen staff for not paying levy demanded by them, police Friday said. “A group of armed Maoists attacked the camp of K.K. construction near Nepa village in Gaya late Thursday. They torched five vehicles, including trucks, JCB machine and a dumper, for not paying levy demanded by them,” a district police official said. According to police officials, Maoists also assaulted staff of the construction company. “Maoists tied the hands and legs of the staff and threw them in a nearby river but they survived,” police said. Maoists in rural areas across Bihar are paid levy by private construction companies, contractors, traders, businessmen and even government officials.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Maoists-Torch-Five-Vehicles-in-Bihar/2013/12/27/article1968183.ece

Maoists conduct meeting in Visakha Agency

GK VEEDHI (VISAKHAPATNAM): Hoping to regain their hold in the Visakha Agency by gaining the confidence of tribals, Maoists reportedly conducted a meeting on the borders of Koyyuru and GK Veedhi mandal with more than 300 tribals. According to sources, Adivasi Viplava Raitu Coolie Sangham and militia members conducted the meeting that lasted nearly eight hours and clarified that there were no differences or disputes among the Maoists. They also gave a clarification on why they had killed many tribals for indulging in anti-tribal activities and becoming police informers. Maoist leaders Azad and Sarat advised the tribal youth not to join as home guards in the police department.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/visakhapatnam/Maoists-conduct-meeting-in-Visakha-Agency/articleshow/27987290.cms

Maoists launch hunger strike in jail, seek better medical aid

HAZARIBAG: Nearly 40 Maoists, lodged in the high security cell of the Lok Nayak Jaiprakash Narayan Central Jail at Hazaribag, went on hunger strike on Thursday in protest against lack of medical facilities for the inmates. The protesters alleged that the ailing convicts in the jail are not attended to by the by the authorities in times of need. The hunger strike call was led by Ravi Sharma, member of the central politburo of the CPI(Maoist) and member of the Bihar -Jharkhand-Chattisgarh Central Committee.

He was arrested in November 2009 near the Salparni Park in the district The protest was launched following the death of life convict Daso Mahato of Ramgarh district. Mahato suffered a paralytic stroke in the jail and was undergoing treatment in the Jail Hospital. Later he was shifted to Hazaribag Sadar Hospital but when his condition did not improve he was taken to RIMS, Ranchi. However, he died on December 22. This was the second death of an ailing convict in the recent times.

The fasting Maoists alleged that neglect by the jail authorities and the jail doctor led to Daso’s untimely death. Sometime back, another inmate died in the Hazaribag Sadar hospital after prolonged illness. The fasting Maoists said they had no alternative but to go for hunger-strike inside the jail. When contacted, a spokesman of the central jail confirmed the development. Denying allegations of the fasting Maoists, he said that in the convicts are usually treated at Jail Hospital when they fall ill and if that does not help they are shifted to Sadar Hospital. He denied the allegations of Maoists that convicts were ill treated and are not given proper medical aid inside the Jail. However Hazaribag SP and civil durgeon were not available for comments..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ranchi/Maoists-launch-hunger-strike-in-jail-seek-better-medical-aid/articleshow/27988037.cms

This entry was posted in Maoists India, resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.