Chhattisgarh: Intelligence Bureau warns of rise in Naxal activity after ‘peaceful’ polls
Raipur: With the latest Maoist offensive claiming lives of four CRPF personnel in Bastar, Intelligence Bureau has alerted security forces, asking them to be extra cautious following inputs of major strikes in southern Chhattisgarh after ‘peaceful’ assembly election. Earlier this week, the state IB had intimated District Superintendents of Police and commandants of armed forces that Maoists are observing “martyrdom week” from November 24-30 in the memory of their slain leader Kishenji during which they may step up their operations. Kishenji was killed on November 24, 2011 in West Bengal in a special operation conducted by a joint squad of the state police and CRPF.
An advisory by IB also said that ultras will observe the Peoples’ Liberation Guerrilla Army week from December 2-8 in honour of slain leaders of the CPI (Maoist), during which again they are likely to intensify and execute attacks on security forces, police stations, camps and also disrupt vehicular movement. “Even when elaborate inputs were conveyed apprehending that Naxals may trigger some strikes during this week, such an incident (killing of four CRPF jawans) happened,” a senior IB official told PTI requesting anonymity. The jawans were killed when Naxals ambushed a road opening party of the security forces in Maoist-infested Bijapur district on Wednesday.
“Now security forces have been told to be more cautious anticipating more such attacks and not to take the situation lightly because of a successful election,” he said adding, they were told to stay prepared and strictly follow standard operating procedures (SOPs). According to the advisory, the IB has called for heightening security around police stations, check posts and camps and conducting area domination within five kilometres radius of these places.
DC special: Maoist gunshots in Malabar
Kozhikode: Are Malabar’s jungles safe haven for rest and recuperation for Maoists, who find it too hot up north, having to face strafing by IAF copters? Are Kerala cops sitting ducks as Maoists await the final push? The specially constituted Thunderbolts have not got anywhere near a Maoist though the Leftwing extremist cadre have been sighted in the recent past. In October, suspected Maoists set ablaze an earthmover at Vilangad on the Kozhikode suburbs and left, without a clue, after distributing Maoist literature. Many thought and even now think Kerala is not tame turf for armed band. Chinese radio called the armed rebellion in the Bengali village of Naxalbary (June 28, 1967) as the ‘Spring Thunder’.
Decades passed and leaders like Charu Majumdar, who led the rebellion, are dead. But rumblings haunt the distant Kerala. Recently the Home Ministry put out an alert that Maoist elements had crossed over to Kerala. Thunderbolt commandos have been on the trail since February but in vain. First sightings were reported in Kannavam forest near Iritty in Kannur and later in Wayanad, Kannur and Malappuram. In November, three incidents were reported- two in Wayanad and one from Nilambur in Malappuram. At Karinkanni tribal village in Wayanad, an armed Maoist group distributed pamphlets in August. A top police official told DC that though Maoist cadre were spotted in the border jungle zones, cops failed to nab them as they crisscrossed the border. “We have no other go but continue with the raids”, he said.
Intelligence agencies had warned of Maoist attempts to form a ‘red corridor’ in the three south Indian states, linking the larger red corridor starting from Pasupati in Nepal leading to Andhra Pradesh. Though no major Maoist activities were reported from TN in recent past, intensive extremist activities were reported from Karnataka and jungles close to Wayanad. Security agencies had alerted the state that Maoist elements in the south have been focusing on a tri-junction, the common jungle zone where Kerala, Karnataka and TN share border. Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary, Muthumalai tiger reserve in Nilgiri and Bandipur National Park in Karnataka constitute the tri-junction.
But activist Civic Chandran told DC that “there is no space for armed Maoists in the state. The hue and cry over the Maoist hunt is aimed at extracting the Centre’s anti-terror funds, which are unaudited and unaccountable”. Porattom leader MN Ravunni said that even if Maoists were on the hills, the situation was not alarming. “What is the real enemy of the state, the clergy-criminal nexus that unleashed violence against the state machinery or Maoists who claim to fight for transforming society?” he asked, referring to the violent campaign in the state over the Gadgil-Kasturirangan report. Former Naxal leader K Ajitha told DC that it was easy for the Government to brand human rights activists as Maoists and slap the Maoist tag on all resistance movements. Commentator K Venu said the police was being foolish in taking out what looked like a route march in the jungle to nab Maoists. “By the time policemen reach the spot, Maoists would have fled. I believe it is all a charade, meant for TV channels”, he said.
3 Maoists in judicial custody
DALTONGANJ: Three members of the CPI (Maoists), arrested by police on the intervening night of November 27 and November 28, were remanded to judicial custody on Thursday, said DSP Mukesh K Mahto. Mahto said the trio have been identified as – Pancham Rayee (36) Mahinder Chowdhury (37) and Bhim Singh (35). Pancham is a Maoist leader wanted in more than dozen cases. He was arrested from the house of a woman member of Palamu zila parishad in Hamidganj area of the district, said Mukesh.
He has confessed to be a part of the naxalite outfit which blew up the house of then irrigation minister Kamlesh Kumar Singh, the DSP said. Pancham’s wife works as a Sahiya ( health worker), he added. Mukesh said it is to be thoroughly probed under what circumstances this Maoist was in the house of the zila parishad member. He said police will investigate if the lady member has harboured him or given him shelter from the police or so.
Mahinder Chowdhury is the section commander of the CPI (Maoist). He has four cases against him including a police encounter in Hussainabad. Bhim Singh is the platoon deputy commander of the outfit. He has confessed blowing up the Reliance tower at Teesibar. Both of them were arrested from pandu village in the district. Two cellphones have been recovered from them. It was Pancham’s arrest that led to the detainment of the other two in the rural areas of Pandu said the DSP.
Concern over Maoist Activities
The delegates from Wayanad raised serious concern over the increasing threat of Maoists in the tribal belts of the district. The delegates pointed out that Maoists could convene meetings in the tribal colonies. Though they had not threatened the tribals as of now they had been told not to inform about their (Naxals) activities to the police. The plenum is of the view that the police and the Forests Department officials had failed to effectively check the activities of Maoists forces in the district.
Forest Warden Comes under ‘Maoist’ Fire
For the first time in the region, suspected group of Maoists opened fire at a Reserve Forest Warden at Poonthodakadavu near Pookkottumpadam in the Nilambur South Forest Division on Thursday evening. The warden escaped unhurt. The attack took place near a forest camp office near the Silent Valley Buffer Zone around 5 pm when a man hiding behind a tree nearby opened fire at warden Chandran.
Following a warning from Chandran, beat officer Sasi fled the office. It is learnt that a three-member gang had attacked the forest personnel. “The warden had a narrow escape. He jumped into a stream and fled. The gang fired two rounds at him. There is no doubt that the shooters were well trained extremists. A local resident had met a gang of armed persons near this area a couple of days ago,” Kalikavu Range Officer Sasikumar Rayroth said. Forest officials are assuming that the attack was not an accidental one. They said the attackers were not poachers or ganja farmers. The officials have abandoned the camp office for the time being.
UNLF behind Keishampat blast
IMPHAL, November 26: The proscribed outfit United National Liberation Front has claimed that the IED blast at Keishampat on November 25 evening was carried out by a small demolition squad of the MPA’s urban guerrilla war-fare team. The outfit has released a press statement claiming that the act was carried out targeting the Assam Rifles for its acts of extra judicial killing of the general public in the name of fighting the revolutionary movement and as part of the outfit’s freedom movement.
The statement further claimed that the blast could have been powerful enough to kill more than three AR personnel, the intensity of the blast was minimised considering the possibilities of collateral damages. Several hardships were faced while trying to minimise collateral damages while carrying out the blast due to the presence of civilians in the proximity of the security forces, it said. The UNLF/MPA always consider the safety of the general public and their properties while attacking the security forces, the statement said while appealing to the general public to distance themselves from the security forces, the UNLF statement said.