Bihar becoming bridge for Maoists in Nepal, India: Central intelligence panel
The Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC) headed by the cabinet secretary has criticised the Bihar police and central security forces for not carrying out counter-intelligence operations against Maoist. In an intelligence assessment report accessed by The Indian Express, the JIC has said that the state was becoming “a bridge between Maoist movements in Nepal and India”. The assessment was carried out a few months ago. “Of concern is not only the sharp rise in security forces causalities but also the fact that not a single Naxal cadre has been killed in any counter-intelligence operation as against five Maoists killed in the same period last year. The reason for worry for the government is the killing of 13 security personnel this year as compared to 1 last year. The number of Naxals arrested has also decreased to 174 from 428 last year. The recovery of weapons dropped to 47 from 151,” the report said.
Underlining the poor police-population ratio in the state, it said “Bihar has also performed poorly on utilisation of development funds released under the integrated action plan (IAP). Almost 33 per cent of funds allotted to Bihar under IAP covering 11 districts remain unused, whereas Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh used around 84 per cent and 78 per cent.” The field report also indicated that in some parts of Bihar, “Maoist have undertaken construction of small roads, check dams and other development works threatening local contractors to contribute in the construction or provide digging equipment.”
The report observed that “Bihar has been an important cradle of the Maoist movement and given its complex agrarian and social relationships, sustained the movement in the period of its relative decline”. It said 60 per cent of Maoist violence was reported in Gaya, Jamui and Aurangabad districts. The JIC also warned the security forces to keep an eye on CPI (Maoist) activities in Bihar and Jharkhand as reports suggested Maoist leaders in jails continued to aggressively guide the movement. Ex-politburo member Pramod Mishra reportedly operated from the Beur jail in Patna. The report said “given the soft-handling of the issues by Bihar police, the state could witness a major action not necessarily in a core party area”. “The Maoist movement largely rests on issues of deprivation and the caste, classes most affected by it,” it said.
Family identifies Naxal woman killed in Gadchiroli encounter
The issue of the identity of one of the two women Naxals killed in an encounter in Etapalli tahsil two days ago has been resolved with her family identifying the body. Gadchiroli Superintendent of Police Suvez Haq told The Indian Express that the family of Rita Kodpi from Gundjur village in Gatta-Jambiya area of Etapalli reached Gadchiroli Wednesday. Initially, they added to the confusion when the couple said the deceased wasn’t their daughter while their two sons said the body was that of their sister.
But finally, all four and a cousin concurred that she was their Rita. The couple, however, said even if the deceased was their daughter, they won’t be able to take the body back since it would mean inviting the wrath of their God for cremating one person twice,” said Haq. They are also telling us now that some Naxals visiting Gundjur a few days ago had told her that their daughter was alive,” he added.
The other Naxal was identified as Sarita alias Jyoti Pungati and was stated to be from Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh. “Her family has been sent a message and they are also expected to arrive,” said Haq. Rita was Deputy Commander of Platoon 7 that was camping near Hidur village when the encounter took place. With her identity now established, it has become almost clear that one of three women killed in an encounter at Bhatpar a few months ago, then identified as Rita Kodpi, was someone else. A youth from Bhatpar had then claimed that she was his sister called Sunita Tado and that she was a Maoist militia member. “Sunita Tado wasn’t on our record as a Naxal.
We have sent the chest bones for forensic test to confirm the identities and the result is awaited,” the SP said. Question mark, however, still hangs over the identity of the other deceased woman at Bhatpar then confirmed to be Sarita Pungati, a Platoon 7 member. “Some surrendered Naxals have identified the other woman from the Hidur encounter as Sarita Pungati. We have sent a message to her family in Bijapur, who had then claimed the body as that of their daughter Sarita and cremated it. Once they come, that identity issue might also be resolved,” said Haq.
Chhattisgarh: 2 hardcore Maoists killed in Sukma
Two hardcore Maoists including the secretary of Shabri dalam area committee were gunned down in an encounter with the security forces near Madaiguda in Sukma district, bordering Andhra Pradesh (AP) about 520 km south of Raipur on Thursday morning. According to the Sukma police, acting on the specific intelligence inputs on the armed guerrillas camping in high strength near Palcharma village close to the Andhra–Chhattisgarh border, the forces led by the Andhra police moved to the area. The Chhattisgarh police and the paramilitary forces based in AP were the part of the joint team that set out on the search operation.
“The Maoists opened indiscriminate fire on the forces when it reached the forested terrain of Bade Talma (south Konta) some 110 km from the Sukma district headquarter. The forces swiftly retaliated the rebels’ attack. Two Maoists were shot dead and the bodies recovered from the encounter spot”, the additional SP (Sukma) Neeraj Chandrakar told Hindustan Times. The rebels fled into the nearby jungles. The gun-battle continued for nearly two hours. “There was no casualty or any injury sustained by the security forces. Two self-loading rifles (SLR), explosives and some items of daily use were also recovered from the site”, Chandrakar said.
Additional forces have been rushed to the region and the search operation intensified along the border areas, he added. The bodies were identified as Naresh, the secretary of the Shabri dalam committee and Ramuram. In another incident two jawans of the Sukma district police force during patrolling were critically injured when they accidentally hit the pressure bomb planted by the Maoists. Both were rushed to Jagdalpur government hospital for immediate medical attention. Sukma is among the worst-hit districts by the Maoist violence in south Bastar.
Protest against shifting Maoist prisoners
KOLKATA: The Committee for the Release of Political Prisoners (CRPP) has condemned the “arbitrary” transfer of Maoists from the Midnapore central jail to different jails across the state. Two days ago, the Mamata Banerjee government moved seven leaders, including PCPA chief Chhatradhar Mahato, PCPA leader Sukshanti Baskey, Maoist state committee members Sudip Chongdar and Kalpana Maity, Maoist sympathisers Raja Sarkhel and Prasun Chatterjee, to different jails in the state following reports that they were plotting to jailbreak. PCPA or the Peoples Committee against Police Atrocities is the frontal organisation of the CPI-Maoists.
In a press release, the CRPP said that “We strongly condemn the arbitrary transfer of the leaders to different jails on the plea of security reasons. Prasun, a resident of Kolkata, was transferred to far-off Purulia-Bankura jail …” Even as ADG (prison) Ranveer Kumar said claimed that “the seven Maoists were hatching a plot to free from jail and that they had been staying together in the correctional home for far too long, we have decided to separate them for sometime and send them to different correctional homes,” the CRPP has sought to know the status of the cases registered against the political prisoners.
The press release read: “Chhatradhar Mahato has got bail in most of the cases. He has been acquitted in the Anuj Pandey case. The UAPA case, in which all of them are implicated, has been deliberately delayed by the absence of the investigating officer (IO) for months together and will come up for final hearing in late November 2013.” It added, “Against Prasun and Raja, there is only one case each. Why should the prisoners conspire to escape from jail at all?” The forum of political prisoners said it would have made sense had the prisoners been shifted to jails located near their residences.
CPI (Maoist) militia member arrested
A member of the armed wing of Communist Party of India (Maoist), who was allegedly involved in several offences, was arrested at Paderu in Visakhapatnam agency area here today. 30-year-old L Neelam Dora, a native of Dimerkel under Peadabayalu zone joined the Maoist party in 2004, surrendered before cops in 2007 and got married to a girl. However, he rejoined the Maoist party as a militia member in 2008 and actively took part in some violent incidents.
Paderu police inspector Sheikh Ghafoor said Neelam Dora was allegedly involved in some offences since 2010 in Visakhapatnam agency, such as pasting Maoist posters and circulating pamphlets during the People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army (PLGA) Week, besides ganja smuggling during the past few months. Dora has been booked under various sections of the Explosive Substances Act 1908 and of the IPC, the police said.
Villagers ransack police station
KORAPUT: A mob allegedly ransacked Machkund police station in Koraput district on Wednesday afternoon in protest against the killing of a villager by BSF personnel. He was killed on suspicion of being a Maoist during a counter-insurgency operation the previous night. Before coming to the police station, the villagers staged a road blockade at Gunaipada, around 13 km from Machkund, by keeping the body of Gangadhar Kirsani, 30, and demanding adequate compensation to the family of the victim and job to a family member.
The villagers said Gangadhar and Samara Challan of Litiput in Lamtaput block were keeping a watch over their ragi field at night when BSF personnel opened fired on them. “While Samara fled, Gangadhar was hit by bullets. We want Rs 30 lakh compensation,” said villagers. Police said the villager was killed during an encounter with Maoists. “Around 30 BSF men spotted 50 to 60 Maoists near Litiput around 9 pm.
No sooner the Maoists saw the BSF men, they started firing and our men retaliated. The exchange of fire continued for 20 minutes. The rebels fired around 30 rounds. Gangadhar was killed in the gun-battle,” said DIG (south-west range) S Dev Dutta Singh. According to the DIG, whether the deceased was with the Maoist or caught in the crossfire is under investigation. “If Gangadhar is found to be innocent then he will be compensated as per the prevailing government norms,” he said. Villagers lifted the road blockade around 5 pm after the administration paid initial compensation of Rs 15,000 from the district Red Cross fund for the cremation. “Around 2 pm, villagers entered the Machkund police station, but no major damage has been reported,” Singh added.
CorCom washes hand off blast
IMPHAL, October 30: The Coordination Committee (CorCom) KCP, KYKL, PREPAK, PREPAK (Pro), RPF and UNLF has said in a press release that the bomb blasts at Thangal bazar on October 29 and at Moirangkhom Moreh Van parking on October 30 were not handiworks of the CorCom. It has also sympathised with the families who have lost their loved ones and to those who were injured during the blasts. The CorCom further claimed in its statement that even though attacking the security forces of India is an unavoidable action, the CorCom does not consider the people of India as enemies and has no objective to attack them.
However, the Indian security forces not only confronts the armed movement but also uses force against the general public of Manipur, it alleged. It has further alleged the Indian security forces of breeding several organizations and of using such organizations to carry out activities which would put the revolutionary movement in a bad light. It has also charged that the security forces have never fully disclosed the items including monetary items seized from individuals who are arrested or the things submitted by those who have surrendered before them. The outfit further claimed that the two bomb blasts were carried out either by outfits not under the CorCom, or a hidden agenda of the security forces.
Meanwhile, the Maoist Communist Party, Manipur in a press statement while condemning the Moirangkhom bomb blast said the outfit has no hand in the blast which killed two individuals. The statement also expressed its sympathies to the bereaved families who have lost their loved ones in the blast. The attack seemed to be carried out with the main objective of showing the armed movement in a bad light it said and added that it is an act of reactionaries.