World Popular Resistance Clippings 24/7/2013

Nationalists’ alliance needed: Baidhya

HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE NUWAKOT: CPN-Maoist Chairman Mohan Baidhya today said his party could opt to cooperate with the former king or ex-panchas for the sake of nationalism and sovereignty. Speaking at a press conference organised by his party at Bidur in Nuwakot the CPN-M chief said “It might be the ex-monarch or ex-panchas.” Baidhya said there was need to change the mindset that royalists are bad and democratic parties are good.

He charged that the country could not move ahead due to foreign forces. “The most important thing to change now is the parliament-based tradition directed by foreign forces,” he remarked. Baidhya further said the parliament-based political parties were pushing the country into chaos more than the royalists. “So, now our cooperation will be with nationalist forces rather than democratic parties,” he clarified. “There is no alternatives to a joint nationalistic front,” Baidhya said.

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=Nationalists’+alliance+needed%3A+Baidhya+&NewsID=384858

Int’l community reiterates support to poll

KATHMANDU, July 23: Nepal´s development partners have reiterated their support to the government for holding a fresh Constituent Assembly (CA) election. Issuing a statement on behalf of development partners engaged in the elections in Nepal, acting UN Resident Coordinator Terence D Jones on Tuesday also lauded the efforts made by major the political parties toward bringing agitating parties on board the election process.

The statement on behalf of the international community comes in the wake of the CPN-Maoist led alliance of 33 agitating parties asking the international community not to extend any support to the current Khil Raj Regmi-led government for holding the elections. While arguing that the election being held through undemocratic means under the influence from foreign forces won´t serve the interest of Nepal, the agitating parties have also announced to actively boycott the poll.

“Nepal´s development partners reiterate their strong support for Constituent Assembly elections scheduled for November 2013 and local government elections thereafter,” said Jones. “Nepal´s development partners appreciate efforts to convene representatives of all political parties to reach agreement on the final parameters of free and fair elections that will lead to an inclusive Constituent Assembly.” Jones also underscored the need for holding free and fair elections on the planned date of November 1.”Contributions from development partners to the Election Commission of Nepal are designed to help ensure that the polls are held on time and are credible and inclusi”e,” the statement further said.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=58300

 

Mass violence hits Medupi

Police have restored calm to Eksom’s Medupi power station in Limpopo following a spontaneous and violent strike on Wednesday morning. The station was evacuated following a demonstration at the facility’s unit six, which saw workers setting at least two cars alight and clashing with police. A parliamentary oversight committee had arrived for an overnight visit to the troubled station to find out exactly why it had been delayed in coming online.

According to Eskom’s Hilary Joffe, no one was hurt in the unrest, which she says involved between 500 and 1000 workers. Joffe says the company is now trying to resume operations. “The majority of the workers have been taken off site to restore calm. We are working to get back to work as soon as we can and build a power station.” Jeremiah Makhoto, who has been working at the power station construction site since 2011, says spontaneous strikes happen frequently. “Since January this year we didn’t work the whole month. We worked for 20 days and had 10 days of strike.”

http://business.iafrica.com/news/872145.html

China’s “New Kind of Terrorism” is Winning Hearts and Minds

The paralyzed petitioner from Shandong Province who set off a homemade bomb at Terminal 3 in Beijing’s Capital Airport over the weekend is finding a sympathetic audience online and in some of China’s official media. But, many are left wondering if this is the new face of domestic terrorism in China. In the Xinhua Daily Telegraph, Judge Shu Rui wrote an editorial arguing that, “Each person who feels wronged, could be a time bomb…. For the sake of security, the entire community has a responsibility to emphasize ‘injustice.’” Shu then goes on to call the act a “new kind of terrorism.” Although Ji Zhongxing, the bomber, was arguably committing an act of terrorism, he certainly wasn’t the first one.

For the past three years, China has seen several high-profile suicide bombings from disenchanted citizens and petitioners, all of whom receive at least some minor sympathy from the public. In Jiangxi Province in 2011, for instance, explosions ripped through three government buildings, killing three people, including the bomber, Qian Mingqi. It was later revealed that Qian’s vicious act was preceded by him spending a decade trying unsuccessfully to seek redress from authorities after his land was seized without compensation. Despite the violence and deaths the explosions caused, Qian won over a lot of the public.

One popular online commenter, for instance, said “Qian was no Bin Laden, he was one of the weak.” A similar—though disputed—suicide bombing case in May of 2012 killed four people in Yunnan Province. More recently, in January of this year a suicide bomber in Guangzhou took his own life and injured several others over wages he was owed. In the media firestorm that followed this weekend’s bombing, Ji’s case has become well known to the Chines public­­­­: his fight with police that left him with a broken spine, his eight years of petitioning for redress and, of course, his homemade firework explosives. As such, many have shown their support for his actions, some going so far as to call him a hero.

http://thediplomat.com/china-power/chinas-new-kind-of-terrorism-is-winning-hearts-and-minds/

 

 

Police-brutality

Another Riot Hits Central Province School

A spate of riots is sweeping across Central Province High Schools with Ibolela High School being the latest where pupils ran amok burning down classrooms in protest of a poor diet and also unsatisfactory management of the school. The riot at Ibolela comes barely 48 hours after Mukando High School pupils in Serenje also rioted over similar complaints with Serenje Technical High School pupils also joining the growing list of discontent in high schools.

Panic has gripped the Ministry of Education with police officers being deployed at the named schools to monitor the situation. The Ministry of Education was forced to close Evelyn Hone College after similar riots left damages at the public institution.

http://zambiareports.com/2013/07/23/another-riot-hits-central-province-school/

 

Peru: protests on the streets of Lima last night

More than 4,000 young people took to the streets of central Lima last night in protest of the questionable way in which Congress appointed new members of the Constitutional Court, the Central Bank and the national ombudsman. The protest known as “Toma la Calle” or Take the Streets, started in Plaza San Martin and headed toward the Congress through Abancay Avenue until a police blockade met the protesters near the National Library.

The protest was organized on social networks under the hashtag #tomalacalle and on the scene were signs with messages to the current congress such as “you don’t represent us” and “Ollanta and Fujimori are the same garbage.” According to reports from El Comercio newspaper, what had begun as a peaceful protest deteriorated into chaos when riot police began using fire hoses and throwing teargas to keep protesters from approaching the Congress building. As a result, portions of Abancay Avenue were closed last night, specifically the streets leading to the Congress, the National Library, and the Public Ministry. In total, 11 people ranging in age from 18 to 42 were arrested during the protests last night. Ten of them were released as of this morning after it was determined that they were not involved in any of the violence. One of the people arrested is still in police custody after attacking a police officer.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-peru-protests-on-the-streets-of-lima-last-night-100438

 

Kenya: School Shut, 20 Arrested in Kitui Protests

KITUI High School was yesterday closed and 20 arrested after they striked on Sunday night. The students broke into the principal’s office and destroyed three computers, a photo copier machine, furniture and important documents. They broke the window panes of all the building in the school compound. Kitui police boss Perminous Kioi Muchangi and the school board of governors chairman Dr Musya Mwinzi went to the school and sent all the 650 students home.

Muchangi said the students are unhappy with their principal Daudi Kasoa and want him removed. He said form four students refused to sit for the forthcoming mock examination saying they have not been “coached sufficiently”. When the police were called to the at 9.30 pm to quell the strike, most of the property had been destroyed. When the students saw the officers they fled into the bush where they spent the night until yesterday morning. Kitui Kenya National Union of Teachers branch secretary Joseph Makuthu who visited the school said there the cause of the problems at the school needs to be established.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201307240060.html

 

par-ayo-blockade1_article_column

Indian tribe blocks Pan-American Highway to protest land invasion

A key South American highway connecting Paraguay and Bolivia is being blocked by an Indian tribe angry at the destruction of their rapidly-shrinking island of forest. Ayoreo Indians today blocked the Trans-Chaco Highway, which forms part of the Pan-American Highway, and have vowed to maintain their protest until outsiders who have occupied their land are removed.

The Indians are angry about the illegal invasion of their land by two Paraguayan farmers, in an area to which the Ayoreo secured official land title 16 years ago. The farmers and their workers have erected cattle fences and bulldozed wide tracks, and claim that the land belongs to them. They were guarded by police, to prevent any attempt on the Ayoreos’ part to stop the work.

http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/9394

 

Workplace safety: Factory workers protest colleague’s death

FAISALABAD: Colleagues of a powerloom factory worker who died from an electric shock earlier on Tuesday staged a demonstration against the factory owner on Tuesday by blocking Faisalabad-Jaranwala road with the body. Police say Muhammad Irfan of Layyah had worked in a powerloom factory on Jaranwala Road where he received an electric shock from a defective fan. Irfan fainted and died without receiving any medical attention.

Factory workers, angered by the lack of safety, protested against the family owner holding him responsible for the electrocution. They demanded his immediate arrest. Ghulam Fareed, one of the protestors, said “the factory fan had been out of order for the last three months. We repeatedly requested the factory owner to get it changed or removed but he did not.” A police team headed by Saddar SHO removed the protestors from Faisalabad-Jaranwala Road by force. “They have no justification to block the road over the death of a factory worker. So we pushed them away and opened the road for vehicular traffic,” the SHO said, adding that “the police will take action against whoever causes inconvenience to travelers.”

http://tribune.com.pk/story/581017/workplace-safety-factory-workers-protest-colleagues-death/

 

image (1)

Guangdong Police Hold Anti-Waste Protesters En Masse

Authorities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong detained a large number of people Tuesday, pre-empting their plans to march to provincial government offices to call for the cancellation of a controversial waste incinerator in their area. The residents of Shiling township in Guangdong capital Guangzhou’s outlying Huadu district had planned to stage a mass march to the government offices on Tuesday to register their opposition to the waste project, four days after a 30,000-strong protest led to bloody clashes with the police.

The number of those held was not immediately available but many campaigners posted tweets saying that police were out in force along highways leading to Guangzhou, detaining those coming from Huadu and blocking them from holding the demonstration. Police were checking the identification of passengers on public transport links to the downtown area, they said. “We are in the police station right now, signing our names,” said one protester surnamed Chen, who said he was detained while en route from Huadu, which lies 34 kilometers (21 miles) to the northeast of Guangzhou. “We have to register our addresses, and tell them where we’re going, and give our ID card numbers,” he said.

Chen said he had been held in the police station for more than two hours. ‘Anyone from Huadu’ checked “When we were on our way here, two police officers asked for our ID cards, then they told us ‘go over there,’ without saying much else,” he said. “When we asked why, he said that anyone from Huadu had to go over there, and that’s the way it was.” He said he had begun the trip to Guangzhou with a group of 32 fellow protesters. “They took us to the Yuexiu Stadium, where we had to sign our names…. Then they told us to get on a bus, and they are holding us in a police station in Huadu, near the government buildings,” Chen said, adding that many other protesters had also been detained there in addition to his group.

“We were escorted by riot police the whole time, four of them.” An official who answered the phone at the Huadu district police department said protesters were only likely to be detained if they had breached public order. “I don’t know if they were detained while protesting,” he said. “But it is likely that they were detained for disturbing public order.” “But those who haven’t broken the law shouldn’t be detained.”

No response

A second Huadu resident surnamed Wang said the protesters had only taken to the streets in the absence of any official response to their formal petitions. “If that had worked, we wouldn’t be doing this,” Wang said. “They are afraid we will go to Guangzhou, and they are trying to save their own face.” “I no longer have any trust in the government, if I’m honest,” he said.

Friday clashes

Friday’s protest was the second mass demonstration against the plant in a week. Government ties to companies likely to build and operate the plant have been prompting popular resistance to waste incinerators across Guangdong, including in Panyu city, Huadu, Conghua and Zengcheng, since 2009. A protester surnamed Lin who witnessed Friday’s clashes said some police were injured and some protesters detained. “Some police were hurt, and the plainclothes police were there taking photos and video,” Lin said. “Then they came into the village and started arresting people.” “They arrested four in Qianjin village and one in Yishan village, and released one the same evening.”

Protesters injured

He said the authorities had denied rumors that some protesters had died in the clashes. “But a lot of villagers were injured in the clashes,” he said. “They were hurt by the police, who were using their shields and batons.” He said the township government had sent out mass SMS messages on Friday. “They say that the location of the plant won’t be in Shiling township, and told us not to act impulsively,” Lin said. But he added: “We’re not afraid. We are psychologically prepared.”

An official who answered the phone at the Shiling township propaganda department on Friday said those who had been “spreading rumors” had already been detained. But he was unable to confirm their number. Asked if the planned incinerator had been canceled, he replied: “It’s not being canceled. But we are in the consultation phase from July 22-28, when we are accepting petitions.”

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/incinerator-07232013111453.html

 

Sudan: School Students Protest Fee Rise in Central Darfur

Deleig — The secondary school students of Deleig in Central Darfur staged a demonstration on Monday protesting against the high tuition fees, announcing they would continue their strike and demonstration until the authorities reduces the tuition fees similar to other state schools. One of the students reported to Radio Dabanga that the administration of high school for boys and girls in Deleig has raised the school annual fees from SDG100 ($22.70) to SDG250 ($53), contrary to all schools in the state where the students pay an annual fee of SDG100.

“The students demanded that the fees be reduced from SDG250 to SDG100, however the administration refused their demand which led the students go out in a demonstration protesting against the imposition of such tuition fees.” The student said that although the security forces used tear gas and fired bullets into the air to disperse the students, they announced they would “continue their demonstration and strike for three days until the authorities reduce the tuition fees similar to other state schools”.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201307240253.html

This entry was posted in resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.