Women flock to Naxal cause
The nation’s elected representatives haven’t been able to agree on the Women’s Reservation Bill. The police find it very hard to increase the representation of women in their ranks. The Naxalites have no such problem, however, as the Union home ministry has found out.
According to a recent Ministry of Home Affairs estimate, women constitute 60 per cent of active Maoists in the states affected most by left-wing extremism. Unlike past years when women did not take on combat roles, now almost all are in battle zones and involved in fighting the security forces. Sources say women have been an integral part of some of the big operations carried out by the red rebels recently.
Investigations into the attack on Congress convoy in Chhattisgarh that wiped out the top leadership of the party on May 25 earlier this year, reveal that the operation included not only women but many children too. It’s a recent development. Till as recently as 2010, women formed 40 per cent of the Naxalite fighting force; it was under 25 per cent in 2008. “The women are part of the Red ranks. They are directly involved in combat roles,” said an MHA official. The home ministry is alarmed by the new trend. Despite increasing cases of women being subjected to sexual exploitation and quitting, their numbers and importance continue to rise, with some divisional committees being headed by women.
Zonal committees also have a good representation of women. Experts are of the view that increasing the women’s cadres could be part of a strategy to increase their base. “Women are often at the receiving end of economic and physical injustice. They are easy to motivate. With more women joining the ranks the cadre strength only increases,” said Ved Marwah, former DG, National Security Guard. Prakash Singh, former DG, Border Security Force, says women’s cadres are a known fact but the fact that they outnumber men is phenomenal.
Naxal threat: Armed security at police stations in border dists
Salem: Armed security personnel would be posted at all police stations in border districts of Salem, Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri in the wake of threats by Naxals to loot arms and ammunition from them, a top police official said here on Tuesday. Deputy Inspector General of Police, Salem, Sanjay Kumar said they had received information that police stations would be attacked at Kolathur, Anjatty and Krishagiri in these three districts. Hence, it has been decided to enhance security in the border areas, he said. PTI
Odisha needs to monitor certain areas on Maoist front
BHUBANESWAR: Though the Maoist situation in Odisha was comparatively better than other states, the state government must carefully monitor certain areas to eradicate the menace, a senior officer of the Union Home Ministry said. “The state government must maintain a very very cautious approach toward LWE situation in Odisha,” K Vijay Kumar, senior security adviser in the Naxal Management Division under the Ministry of Home Affairs told reporters after meeting Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
“Where there is security action, it must be followed by developmental activities. Development must reach remote areas quickly,” Kumar said, expressing satisfaction over the state government’s steps to develop Maoist-hit areas. Replying to a question, he said the state government needed to tackle the situation with available forces since all Maoist-hit states also faced a similar difficulty. Kumar, a former director general of CRPF, said the state government needed to have better coordination with the Planning Commission and the Ministry of Rural Development for quick development of Maoist-hit areas, which were mostly located in remote parts of the state. Kumar, who also met Governor S C Jamir, said his job was to oversee how both the development and security actions went hand in hand. He discussed the prevailing Maoist situation in the state with Director General of Police Prakash Mishra.
Six killed in Maoist rivalry in Jharkhand
Ranchi, July 24 (IANS) Six people suspected to be members of a Maoist group were killed by another Maoist outfit in Jharkhand Wednesday, police said. The six, belonging to the People’s Liberation Front of India (PLFI), were killed by the outlawed Communist party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist). Both groups have been engaged in internecine war in a few districts of Jharkhand. According to police, the CPI-Maoist learnt about the presence of PLFI members near Namsilli village in Khuti district, about 70 km from Ranchi. Around 30 to 40 CPI-Maoist members surrounded the PLFI members and fired indiscriminately, killing six of them.
Dreaded Maoist commander held
JAMSHEDPUR: Acting on a tip-off, Seraikela-Kharswan police on Tuesday arrested Somra Hansda, a notorious Maoist and the mastermind of the 2011 Seraikela divisional jail break incident. Hansda, accused in over two dozen cases involving murder, loot, bomb blast and war against the state, was arrested from Hosakocha village under Chowka police station area. Confirming the arrest, Seraikela-Kharswan SP Indrajeet Mahtha said the arrested rebel is under interrogation at present.
“The intelligence bureau and crime branch officials are dealing with him Hansda,” said the SP refraining from divulging much detail about the findings of the preliminary questioning. Hansda, a terror in the Chandil-Chowka-Seraikela region on the National Highway-33, that connects Jamshedpur to Ranchi, is a self-styled commander of Kundan Pahan squad of the banned CPI (Maoist) outfit. Kundan, along with his rebel aides Balram Sahu alias David and Rakhal Kandium (both currently lodged in jail) and three other criminals Ganesh Pramanik, Babloo Bagti (still on the run) and Ravi Singh Munda (later killed in a police encounter in Adityapur) had escaped from Seraikela prison on August 17, 2011 by overpowering the security personnel at gun point in a dramatic manner.
Somra, who was carrying reward of Rs 30000 on his head, is accused in the murder of CRPF sub-inspector Chandrasekar Reddy, who died in the landmine blast in February 2011. He is also the main accused in the murder of policeman Kaicharna Munda and was held responsible for planting landmines with 130 bombs in Ranka forest area in August 2012. Hansda is also wanted in connection with the slaughter of two local congress leaders Mukund Singh and Dushasan Mahato, killed few years ago. “Police have also recovered fire arms and explosives from him,” said a police source.
Police probe slain Maoists’ roots in Nabarangpur
KORAPUT: After the two Maoists killed during an encounter in Rayagada district on July 19 were identified as residents of Nabarangpur district on Monday, police have begun a probe to unearth more details about them. “We are probing their other links. We are establishing contacts with the family of the deceased Red rebels and with persons close to the duo,” said SP (Nabarangpur) Brajesh Roy. Three Maoists were gunned down during the encounter in Haldimali forests. While one of the deceased was identified as Nandlal, a Chhattisgarh cadre, the other two were Hirasingh Goudo and Kirtin Bhatra of Nirundi village under Umerkote police limits. Stating that they were unaware of their Maoist links, families of the duo told police that a few days before the encounter, the two left home saying that they are going to Chennai in search of livelihood.
“We are looking into several angles and will reach a conclusion in a few days,” the SP said. Police had recovered several Maoist documents revealing their plan of forming a full-fledged Indravati division of the outlawed organization with its area of operation extending to the border areas of Nabarangapur-Koraput-Kalahandi and Rayagada districts. “The Maoists might have called their Nabarangpur cadres to the camp as they wanted to form the Indravati division. Maoist leaders from Chhatisgarh also attended the camp,” a senior police officer said.