World Popular Resistance Clippings 7/7/2013

image

Four parties’ flexibility meaningless, says Baidya

KATHMANDU, JUL 07 – CPN-Maoist Chairman Mohan Baidya has said that the views of the government and the four major parties that they were flexible to address his party’s demand would count nothing until the 25-point order on removal of the constitutional difficulties was scrapped. Speaking at a programme organised by All Nepal National Independent Student Union-Revolutionary affiliated to this party in the Capital today, Chairman Baidya said, “We are against the formation of incumbent non-political government and the 25-point order that led to its formation. So, the four big parties need to agree on cancellation of the order first if they were flexible.”

Baidya’s statement comes a day after a meeting of the High Level Political Committee in Kathmandu on Saturday had decided to adopt maximum flexibility in addressing the demands of the disgruntled parties. He warned that his party would retaliate with force if their demand for the formation of a national consensus government through a roundtable conference was ignored. On a different note, he said the education sector was in need of transformation and accused the government of ignoring the community schools.

http://ekantipur.com/2013/07/07/headlines/Four-parties-flexibility-meaningless-says-Baidya/374461/

 

Baqeri_d20130707051354980

Israeli soldiers injure 2 female protesters in Al-Khalil

At least two Palestinian women have been wounded in an attack by Israeli regime forces on a group of demonstrators near the city of Al-Khalil (Hebron) in the occupied West Bank. The Israeli soldiers also arrested three people in the protest, which was held in Um al-Kheir neighborhood, east of Al-Khalil on Saturday. The demonstrators were protesting against the regime’s illegal settlement expansion in the West Bank.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/07/07/312641/israel-soldiers-injure-2-women-in-alkhalil/

Protest paralyses east, 1 child dead

Drivers accuse policemen of being drunk

Week-long protests that paralysed public transport in many parts of eastern Uganda last week ended with one confirmed fatality, a 15-year-old boy. Discontented drivers took to the streets in protest at the new traffic regulations they described as colonial, oppressive and uncalled for. In Buikwe district, protesters told police chief Kale Kayihura that his men and women, who were often drunk, were largely to blame for the sporadic violence that resulted in the shooting of 15-year-old Shakulu Kalinaki by a policeman.

The accusation was made on Thursday in Naminya village, Wikisi sub-county, after Gen Kayihura visited the deceased’s home. “We are the ones living with your policemen in these communities and we want to tell you that those [people] in our uniform are drunk. They spend most of their time in bars and this is why you see them mismanage protests and strikes,” charged one resident. In response, Kayihura pledged to investigate the allegations.

He also promised that the police officer who shot and killed the boy would be severely punished. He gave the bereaved family Shs 1m. The week-long protests brought public transport in Busoga urban centres to a standstill as disgruntled drivers made their feelings known.

Violence ensued as vehicles’ windscreens were smashed by stone-throwing protestors who blocked all roads linking Jinja to the rest of the country. Similar protests were reported in Mbale, Iganga, Kamuli, Mayuge and Bugiri, among other areas. Police chief Gen Kayihura spent most of Thursday in the region, trying to calm tempers. He met taxi drivers at Jinja town hall and urged them to call off their strike, which had begun on Monday. “Report to us all undisciplined traffic officers who ask for bribes. For us we shall know how to deal with them,” Kayihura told the drivers.

http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26280:protest-paralyses-east-1-child-dead&catid=34:news&Itemid=114

13920407000233_PhotoI

Israeli Forces Detain 31 in West Bank Raids

TEHRAN (FNA)- Israeli forces detained 31 Palestinians before dawn on Sunday in raids across the West Bank, the army said. Soldiers detained eight Palestinians in Nablus, a military spokesman said. Locals said Israeli military jeeps raided Nablus’ Old City at around 3 am as well as the al-Maajin neighborhood. Soldiers detained Musab al-Shami, Mahmud al-Shami, Mohammad al-Aboud, Khalid Abu Zarour, Karm Mansour, Mohammad al-Natour and Ahmad al-Natour, locals told Ma’an.

Israeli forces also raided several areas around Ramallah, detaining five Palestinians in Deir Abu Mashal and one in Jalazun refugee camp, the military spokesman said. Soldiers detained two Palestinians in Bilin and two in Nilin, villages which hold weekly protests against Israel’s separation wall. Forces also detained two Palestinians in Beit Ummar, near Hebron, another site of weekly protests, as well as two from Hebron, two from Idhna, Northwest of the city and three from al-Arrub refugee camp, North of Hebron. Soldiers detained one Palestinian in Bethlehem and two in Abu Dis, North of Bethlehem, and one Palestinian in Birqin, near Jenin in the Northern West Bank.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13920416001005

catatumbo1

Talks between Colombian Government and Farmers Frozen

Bogota, Jul 6 (Prensa Latina) The situation in Colombian Catatumbo, in the north of Santander, continues without a solution, while the Government made the talks with farmers conditional again on lifting the blockages. When they were on the verge of sitting at the negotiation table yesterday in the municipality of Tibu, the farmers suspended the meeting, after the statements by the Defense minister, in which he said the farmer leaders had relations wit the guerrillas.

In a communique, the National Association of Farmer Reserve refuted firmly the institutional and media persecution against farmers. We reject the dangerous and malicious accusations by Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon, attacking the protesting farmer’s dignity, good name, life and integrity, they said. The ministry revealed that supposed tests about the relations of farmer spokespeople with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC-EP).

The text said that the information published by the media corresponds to a strategy of that ministry that seeks to distort the protests, declare the spokespeople illegal and undermine the talks between the State and the farmer communities. The leaders of the guild warned the public opinion that the Defense minister’s statements could aggravate the situation of human rights in Catatumbo, where the police charged against demonstrators, causing four deaths and more than 30 wounded people. President Juan Manuel Santos met yesterday with several members of his cabinet and the two Government spokesmen designated to the possible negotiation table.

http://www.plenglish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1586051&Itemid=1

This entry was posted in resistance, war and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.