CPN-Maoist Clippings 17/6/2013

IMG_8124_20130617092346

Bandh cripples life‚ entrepreneurs oppose it

HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE

DANG: Life was hit hard across the country today due to the general strike called by fringe parties including the Mohan Baidhya-led CPN-Maoist. These parties had enforced a nationwide bandh to protest the interim election government’s announcement that the second Constituent Assembly polls would be held on November 19. Vehicles were vandalised in various districts for defying the bandh. A bus and two trucks were vandalised in Dang headquarters Ghorahi. A private car was vandalised at Gorkha’s Haramtari. Bandh enforcers vandalised a car belonging to Yubaraj Shrestha at Kalimatitole, Gorkha. Both long and short route vehicles stayed off the road on the Tribhuvan and Prithvi highways. From early morning, cadres of the agitating fringe parties descended on the street at Dhading to enforce the bandh.

The general shutdown threw life out of gear at Udayapur, Morang, Sarlahi, Bara, Morang, Sunsari, Bhojpur, Janakpur, Mahottari, Makawanpur, Chitwan, among other districts. Ambulances and vehicles belonging to diplomatic missions and the press, however, plied the roads without obstruction. Educational institutes, major market places, and factories remained closed due to the bandh. Businessmen and entrepreneurs defied the bandh in Diktel in response to vandalism and force used by the bandh organisers. They opened hotels and shops and drew the attention of the District Administration Office to the vandalism and sought security.

Educational institutions, however, remained closed and vehicles stayed off the road. Meanwhile, police arrested two persons for their alleged involvement in vandalising hotels and shops in Diktel. Federal Socialist Party Khotang Joint Secretary Jiten Rai and CPN-Maoist-aligned All Nepal National Independent Students’ Union(Revolutionary) district member Babi Rai have been detained, police said. Meanwhile, the agitators vandalised five industries in Biratnagar causing loss of thousands of rupees.

Armed agitators vandalised MM Plastic, Leminal Ind Pvt Ltd, Rathi Adhesive, Shreya Print and Pack, Udaya Shree Udhyog. Suyash Pyakurel, Director at MM Plastic said that a mob of 60 to 70 persons broke into the locked gate and damaged the industry. Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Morang chapter, condemned the attacks on the industry, assault and mistreatment of workers and entrepreneurs in a statement today. FNCCI Morang chapter has also urged the government, agitating groups, and political parties not to target industries, education and health sectors, and other essential areas just for getting their demands met, but to look for other options. The agitators smashed a bus belonging to People’s Multiple Health Institute, Biratnagar and assaulted the bus driver for defying the strike.

Dahal betrayed revolution, concur CPN-Maoist cadres

KATHMANDU, June 16: Sudha Regmi, who spent her prime years in police and army detention in Dang during the insurgency, was at the mass meet held by CPN-Maoist at Baneshwar held after the conclusion of the Nepal banda called by the 42-party alliance led by the party on Sunday. Reviewing the one-year period following the split with UCPN (Maoist), Sudha, who is a CPN-Maoist cadre now, said Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal had betrayed the people´s revolution. Meanwhile, CPN-Maoist Secretary Netra Bikram Chand was addressing the gathering. He said the Khil Raj Regmi-led government and the four major parties had invited confrontation by announcing date for fresh Constituent Assembly election and that his party was prepared to retaliate. However, Sudha was not happy with the achievement of the party in the one year after split.

“We could have done a lot within a year. Nevertheless, the way ahead for us is clear now,” Regmi told Republica. She claimed that her party had been successful in informing the people about Dahal´s betrayal to the people´s revolution launched about one-and-a-half decades ago. Similarly, CPN-Maoist cadre Dambar Rawal, who was present at the mass meet, claimed that while the UCPN (Maoist) stooped low before foreign forces, CPN-Maoist safeguarded national interests and sovereignty.

Justification of split

The seed of the party split was sown during the Balaju meeting just after the peace process began. The cadres had raised questions over the “dual character” of the party leadership. Leader Netra Bikram Chand had voiced the dissatisfactions of the cadres and countered the leadership by registering the new political line at the Kharipati plenum, which was led by Mohan Baidya. Baidya´s political line was crystallized during the Palungtar plenum leading to the party split last year.

After their general conventions, the two parties are heading in opposite directions. After the Hetauda general convention, the UCPN (Maoist) formally converted into a parliamentary party, while CPN-Maoist adopted the line of people´s revolt. “Firstly, we have proven that our party has become successful in safeguarding the revolutionary spirit after the mother party´s main leadership adopted a revisionist path and surrendered before the foreign forces,” Jhak Bahadur Malla, CPN-Maoist central committee member, told Republica. He also claimed that his party played a key role in thwarting projects like Upper Trishuli 3´A´ and the BIPPA agreement with India and handover of the Tribhuvan International Airport management to India, which were against the interests of the country.

UCPN (Maoist) leaders, however, have been blaming Baidya for the party split. They also accused the CPN-Maoist of not having concrete political programs. “All people and party cadres will hail CPN-Maoist if they succeed in justifying the party split. It is not justifiable now to wage another people´s war,” Suk Bahadur Roka Magar, UCPN (Maoist) central committee member told Republica. Cadres switching parties A year after the party split, leaders and cadres have been switching parties. “I think, the process will continue. There are honest leaders and cadres in the UCPN (Maoist) and not all our cadres are honest,” said Regmi.

After the party split, leaders including Krishna Dhwaj Khadka and Rekha Sharma returned to the UCPN (Maoist) from the CPN-Maoist. Party unity UPCN (Maoist) leaders have been claiming that there is a possibility of unity between the two parties saying the talks in this regard are on. However, cadres of the CPN-Maoist do not see any possibility of the party unity. “Party unity is possible only if Dahal abandons his revisionist stance and accepts our revolutionary party line,” said Parbati Rawal, a CPN-Maoist cadre.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=56331

42 poll-opposed parties bring nation to a halt

KATHMANDU, JUN 17 – A general strike called by the 42 political parties including the CPN-Maoist and the Sanghiya Samajwadi Party-Nepal threw normal life out of gear across the country including the Capital. The agitating parties enforced the nationwide strike against the announcement of the date for the Constituent Assembly election. The government on Thursday announced November 19 as the date for the CA polls. Public vehicles stayed off the roads while educational institutions and market places remained shut.

However, ambulances and vehicles of diplomatic missions, media and human rights organisations were allowed to ply. Cadres of the agitating political parties converged at major thoroughfares in the Capital and chanted anti-government slogans since early morning to enforce the banda . The parties have called for the annulment of the 11-point pact signed between the major four parties and the 25-point proposal on removing the constitutional hurdles that led to the formation of the Khil Raj Regmi-led election government.Although instances of violence were reported in Kavre district, the Kathmandu valley did not witness any untoward incident during the strike.

“No big case of violence was reported throughout the day,” said DSP Chakra Bahadur Singh, spokesman for the Kathmandu Metropolitan Police Range Hanumandhoka. In Kavre district, banda enforcers vandalised two motorcycles on the charge of defying the strike. One was vandalised at Banepa and the other at Godam Chowk. The strike also affected major towns of the country including Pokhara, Chitwan, Nepalgungj and Dhangadi. Market areas in Pokhara and Chitwan remained closed and no vehicles were seen plying the roads. Life in eastern districts including Panchthar, Ilam, Jhapa, Morang, Sunsari, Taplejung and Dhankuta was also crippled due to the general strike.

In Makawanpur, the banda enforcers vandalised four factories at the Hetauda Industrial Area. They hurled stones and smashed window panes and electricity bulbs. “All the industries were shut but the protesters threw stones from the outside,” said Rishiram Ghimire, an industrialist. The activists also vandalised a truck for defying the call. In Sindhuli, Balaram Timilsina, a local leader of the UCPN (Maoist), was thrashed. Police detained an activist in connection with the incident.

http://ekantipur.com/2013/06/17/capital/42-poll-opposed-parties-bring-nation-to-a-halt/373382.html

CPN-Maoist forms anti-poll squad

DANG June 16: The CPN-Maoist has started training the youth cadres to disrupt the Constituent Assembly (CA) polls scheduled for November 19. “We are training the youths in Dang to disrupt the CA election,” said Subhash Pun, district in-charge of the party. He also accused the government of not paying heed to their demands. “We will not allow the government to hold CA polls without first addressing our demands,” Pun said, adding that the party has formed an anti-poll squad by gathering youths from 39 Village Development Committees in the district. He said the squad has been named people´s volunteer bureau and 3,000 youths have so far taken membership of the bureau in Dang alone.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=56310

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.