World Popular Resistance Clippings 7/3/2013

Palestinian wounded in clash with Israelis dies in hospital

A Palestinian shot by Israeli soldiers during a confrontation with stone-throwers in the occupied West Bank two weeks ago died of his wounds on Thursday, his family and a hospital official said. The incident occurred during protests in support of a hunger strike by four Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails. Mohammed Asfour, 22, was shot in the head and initially treated in a Palestinian hospital, his family said. He was later transferred to a hospital in Tel Aviv, where a spokesman said he died.



Police detains families of disappeared from Northern Sri Lanka and prevents peaceful protest and petition to the UN

On March 5th, 2013, at about 8.30pm, the Police blocked about 600 persons, comprising families of the disappeared and civil society activists from the North, from traveling from Vavuniya to Colombo to attend a protest organized by the ‘Association of the Families Searching for the Disappeared Relatives’ the following day (6th). Following the protest at Viharamaha Devi Park, in Colombo, the families had planned to march to the UN office in Colombo and hand over a petition.

This protest was meant to be part of a larger campaign organized by the families of the disappeared to know the truth about their loved ones, and to lobby the international community to intervene on their behalf by calling on the Sri Lankan Government to provide them with truth, justice and accountability. As a result of this obstruction however, the planned protest could not be held. People had begun assembling at the Vavuniya Urban Council (UC) Grounds (the designated assembly point) from morning, and when the organizers arrived, men in civil (suspected to be intelligence officers) were questioning the people, asking them questions such as where they were from, why they had come, where they were going to, who the organizers were, where the funding was coming from etc.,

Thereafter, they had told the people that it was better if they could return to their homes. The families of the disappeared (about 75% of whom were women), who were obstructed in Vavuniya yesterday, were from all parts of the North, such as Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mullaithivu, and Vavuniya districts. The Police had approached the 11 buses parked outside the UC Grounds in the evening at about 5.30pm, and registered details pertaining to the buses, drivers and conductors.

Thereafter, the Police had permitted them to proceed as planned, later that day. No such registration or permission is needed for buses and private vehicles to travel from Vavuniya towards Colombo or any other destination, by law or even by practice. However, when at 8.30pm, the buses, loaded with people, started out from the UC Grounds, they were promptly stopped by the Police and told that they could not proceed, as the Police had received some news that a bus had been stoned between Vavuniya and Anuradhapura, and that therefore, they would not be able to ensure the safety of the passengers, if permitted to proceed.

There is no independent information that such an incident had happened. This information had been confirmed by the Superintendent of Police, the Senior Superintendent of Police and Headquarters Inspector (HQI) of the Vavuniya Police, said Tamil National Alliance (TNA) Parliamentarian, E. Saravanabhavan. The Police had then proceeded to block the path in front of the buses, with their trucks. The military too had been standing by.

Kashmir simmers over youth’s killing

Srinagar, March 6: Violent clashes were reported from many areas of the valley on Wednesday even as authorities had imposed curfew following the death of a 25-year-old youth Tahir Sofi in Army firing. Meanwhile, authorities have decided to continue with the restrictions on Thursday in Baramulla and Sopore towns besides parts of Srinagar including Khanyar, M R Gunj, Rainawari, Safa Kadal, Zadibal, Kralkhud and Maiusma.

IN BARAMULLA, Tahir’s hometown, protesters defied curfew and assembled on two bridges of the main town. Police and paramilitary men used tear and pepper gas to disperse the stone-pelting youth. Eyewitnesses said many persons were injured during the clashes. “Some youth were injured as they were hit by the shells.” Medical Superintendent District Hospital Baramulla, Bashir Ahmad Chalkoo said two persons were brought to the hospital for treatment. “Only two youth were admitted today in the hospital. One of them was injured yesterday while another youth claimed he was beaten up by security forces,” Chalkoo told Rising Kashmir.

However, residents said many youth were injured during the clashes. “Youth were hit by pellets in legs, head and arms but were given first aid treatment in nearby dispensary. We could not take them to hospital as all the bridges were sealed by forces,” they said. Curfew was clamped in north Kashmir’s Baramulla and Sopore towns with heavy deployment of police and paramilitary personnel after Tahir’s death.

According to police spokesman, stone pelting was reported from ChanKhan, Arampora, Hathishah and Sangrama areas of Sopore area. “10 policemen, five CRPF men besides a youth were injured in the clashes,” the spokesman said. Scores of police personnel were reportedly beaten by angry youth in Trehgam area of Kupwara district. According to eyewitnesses, policemen were caught by angry youth at the local hospital. “During the clashes, police personnel were trying to chase the protestors and rushed towards the hospital where they were beaten by youth.” SHO Trehgam said the injured cops had gone to the hospital for treatment when they were attacked by youth. He said only six of his men were injured in the incident.

IN SRINAGAR CITY, protests were reported from several areas. In Nowhatta and adjoining areas of downtown, residents defied curfew to protest the “excesses” of paramilitary forces. “CRPF men damaged vehicles parked outside and smashed window panes of houses with stones. We had to use public address system of Jamia Majid to ask people to defy curfew,” some residents of Nowhatta area in downtown Srinagar alleged.

“There were no protests but CRPF started beating people,” they added. Stone pelting incidents were reported from Habba Kadal, Safa Kadal, Bemina, Padshahi Bagh, Rambagh, Natipora, Maisuma and other localities. Two policemen were reportedly injured during clashes at Padshahi Bagh. Police used tear gas shells to disperse the protesters in Batamallo. Three persons were reportedly injured in the action. In Habak area in the outskirts of the city, police used pepper gas to disperse protesters. Many residents in the area complained of suffocation due to “intense use” of pepper gas by forces. In the evening protests erupted in Nawa Bazar, Sakidafar and adjoining areas of downtown Srinagar.

IN BANDIPORA two persons including one policeman and three CRPF personnel sustained injuries during clashes. Heavy clashes were reported from Papachan area. The police and paramilitary men fired teargas canisters and resorted to aerial firing to disperse the protesters. The clashes continued till late evening. Eyewitness said three CRPF personnel and one policeman was also injured besides minor injuries to two youth. Minor clashes broke out in Ajar, Kaloosa and Hajin areas.

IN SOUTH KASHMIR, protests were reported from many areas of Pulwama and Kulgam districts. According to reports, stringent curfew was clamped in many parts of Pulwama district following violent clashes on Tuesday. “Police and paramilitary forces wearing riot gears were seen patrolling the streets of both the towns,” witnesses said. People of Murran, Chatipora and Tahab areas alleged that the paramilitary men barged into several houses, ransacked the household goods, smashed the window panes and beat up the inmates. Reports said that government forces went berserk in Kakpora area of Pulwama district late Tuesday night, following which people came out in large numbers and clashed with the forces.

As per the reports, the protesters pelted stones at police and CRPF men who retaliated by resorting to baton charge and tear gas shelling. Sources said one person was injured after being hit by a tear gas shell while several police and CRPF men also sustained injuries. “The angry protesters also damaged the railway track,” they added. Protests and clashes were also reported from Samboora area of the district. In Anantnag district, though there was no curfew but police and paramilitary forces were deployed in strength to foil the protests.

Violent clashes were reported from Bijbehara, Sangam, Mattan and Seer areas of the district. Curfew was also enforced in Kulgam town. Police and paramilitary forces were deployed in strength in the streets and the movement of people was curtailed. “The government forces did not allow us to venture out of our houses,” locals said. Protest demonstrations were reported from Manzgam, Khudwani and Qaimoh. In Shopian district, clashes were reported from Gagran village. “Youth took to streets. The forces retaliated with baton charge and lobbing tear gas shells,” witnesses said.



Goodyear Workers’ Clash Leaves 19 French Police Injured

Nineteen police officers were injured after clashes today with workers at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT) protesting the closing of a plant in France. Six of the police officers were taken for medical treatment, while one protester was arrested, the Paris police press office said. The protesters were throwing stones and other projectiles at the law enforcement officers, the police said. They were demonstrating in front of Goodyear’s French headquarters in Rueil-Malmaison, a western suburb of Paris. Last month, the 1,173 workers at Goodyear whose jobs are at risk demonstrated with their spouses and children in the town of Amiens, in northern France, where the U.S.’s largest tire-maker plans to close a plant. In a statement today, Goodyear said it condemns the “acts of violence.”

With the number of French jobless at a 15-year high — leaving about 3.17 million people seeking employment — labor unrest is turning into one of the biggest threats to the government of Socialist President Francois Hollande. Hollande, who promised to reverse the trend of rising joblessness by year- end, may be set to acknowledge that it’s a pledge he may not be able to keep. The CGT union condemned the “outburst of police violence,” it said in an e-mailed statement today. “Six employees have been injured, two of whom got a two-week medical leave,” the main union at the Goodyear plant said.

Village residents opposed to gold mine clash with riot police, claim tear gas in school

THESSALONIKI, Greece – Residents of a northern Greek village who object to the construction of a gold mine have clashed with riot police, with some complaining that police fired tear gas into a school.

Police have been conducting frequent searches in the village of Ierissos, looking for evidence in connection with a February nighttime raid on the mining company’s facilities in which intruders torched machinery. Residents on Thursday set up a roadblock at the village’s entrance, burning tires to prevent the riot police from entering Ierissos. Police said tear gas was fired at the roadblock. A local former mayor, Michalis Vlachopoulos, said gas was also fired inside the village, including in the yard of a high school, and that students were suffering breathing problems. Police denied the allegation.

UNZA Riots: Police Beat, Choke Students with Teargas

Riots broke out at the University of Zambia (UNZA) Great East Campus last night when students took to the streets protesting their delayed meal and book allowances. Students are riled with the Patriotic Front government for delaying their allowances. Majority students were upset that there were nearing end of the semester without their allowances. They took to Great East Road Campus pelting motorists and blocking the road. The students fear that the government would let them go on a long term vacation without disbursing their due allowances.

Yesterday was the second time in four weeks but the fifth riot since the PF took over power. Merciless riot police moved in to quell the rising tension at the institution and bundled most of the students in vans to police stations, teargased the institution and beat up anyone they found around the hostels. The riots went on beyond midnight and final semester examinations which are still in progress could be disrupted as some students have vowed to continue with the protest. Students at UNZA have protested extended closure, delayed allowances and this is happening for the fifth time in 17 months of President Michael Sata’s leadership.

Workers strike at two Exxaro coal mines

Johannesburg – South African diversified miner Exxaro said on Thursday mining operations at its Arnot and Matla mines had been suspended after workers had embarked on an illegal strike over bonus payments. The mines deliver coal to power stations operated by power utility Eskom. A prolonged suspension could affect South Africa’s already strained supply of electricity. – Reuters

Myanmar workers continue strike at supplier of Ralph Lauren in Jordan

More than 1,000 garment workers from Myanmar are continuing their strike over what they describe as unhealthy food and discriminatory wages at a factory in an industrial zone in Jordan that supplies global brands. Jordan’s Century Miracle Apparel makes women’s apparel for Ralph Lauren Canada and United States-based Eddie Baurer and Bon Ton, among others, according to international shipping data.

The Myanmar workers at its garment factory in the northern city of Ar Ramtha were sent there by an unlicensed recruitment agency, according to a report on Myanmar state-run broadcaster MRTV. Online reports said that the workers had yet to resolve a dispute with the company that began in mid February with an outbreak of diarrhea that was believed to be the result of food poisoning. More than 40 workers who got sick were forced to continue working, reports said at the time. About 1,200 of the 1,300 Myanmar workers at the factory have been protesting over food provided to them since February 14, state-run media reported.

Hondurans protest business-friendly laws

Tegucigalpa, Mar 6 (EFE).- Hundreds of people staged a peaceful demonstration in this capital on Wednesday against the new mining and the so-called “model cities” laws after ending a march of some 200 kilometers (125 miles) to Tegucigalpa that they had begun on Feb. 25. “The sectors represented here are defending their territories, the natural wealth of their communities and the public assets,” Hermes Reyes, a member of the Movement for Dignity and Justice, told Efe. He added that during the march they were joined by villagers from several communities along the way.

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.