Sudan police clash with students at Khartoum university
KHARTOUM – Sudanese riot police fired teargas at students on Friday as government supporters stormed the main university in the capital Khartoum, activists and witnesses said, in a second day of unrest on the campus. Sudan has avoided the Arab Spring style uprisings which unseated rulers in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia, but spiraling inflation sparked small protests which have broadened into demonstrations of discontent with veteran President Omar Hassan al-Bashir’s rule.
A Reuters witness saw dozens of students running in panic from the campus in the centre of the city where a large fire was blazing. Several students said supporters of Bashir’s National Congress Party (NCP) had stormed the university early in the evening and set its dormitory building on fire. “Students from the NCP and other people supporting the government stormed the dormitory and set on fire rooms of pro-democracy activists,” a witness said, asking not to be named. “The fire spread quickly to the whole dorm.” A Reuters witness could also smell teargas which activists said had been fired by riot police.
At the university, the centre of dissent against Bashir who has been in power since 1989, more than hundred riot police and plain clothed security agents surrounded the campus where several police trucks were parked. Several activists and witnesses said they thought the building had been stormed in a revenge for a protest on Thursday when opposition students demonstrated against the government at a graduation ceremony attended by Second Vice President al-Haj Adam Youssef. “This was clear revenge,” said one student. Sudan’s police could not be immediately reached for comment.
ANHRI on police assault against oil workers in Algeria
The Algerian police forces assaulted the workers of Syrian company “LEAD”, working in the field of oil refining by beat and firing during the set-in that were organized in front of the headquarter of the company on Friday February 1, 2013 to protest their arbitrary firing them in addition to violate the provisions of the contract. As about 1000 police officers surrounded the protest which was organized by the workers on Sunday February 3, 2013 after they went to the administration of the company to execute the provision of the reconciliation agreement with them in accordance to the agreement yesterday, but until the arrival of the protesters, none of the responsibles show up.
Posco land acquisition resumes amid police-protesters clashes
PARADIP: After being halted for more than a year, land acquisition for the showpiece Rs 52,000-crore Posco steel plant in Odisha resumed today amid clashes between police and protesters. The acquisition process for the South Korean steel major’s mega project amid tight security in Jagatsinghpur district was marked by claims and counter-claims on the violence following allegations of police crackdown on project opponents and injuries to some villagers due to lathicharge.
“Land acquisition process began in Gobindpur village in the proposed project site near Paradip. It will continue till all betel vineyards of the cultivators willing to hand over their land is completed,” District Collector S K Mallick said. Betel-vines and land of only those who had already given their consent are being acquired, Additional District Magistrate Surjit Das said. Anti-Posco protesters indulged in stone throwing for sometime damaging at least five vehicles of the police and administration, sources said, adding police sealed all the entry points to Gobindapur. They also sealed the Gobindapur-Dhinkia road. Protesters from nearby areas like Ersama, Kujang and Jagatsinghpur were gathering in order to chalk out their strategy.
Turkish authorities arrest three suspects in suicide bombing at U.S. Embassy
Turkish authorities arrested three suspects Saturday in a lethal suicide bombing at the U.S. Embassy — including one man whose identity was used by the lone terrorist. Two of the alleged co-conspirators in the fatal Ankara blast were in custody at the Turkish capital, while the third was located in Istanbul, according to Turkey’s private NTV television. Bomber Ecevit Sanli, 40, reportedly used one of the trio’s identity to illegally slip into Turkey more than a decade after he was freed from prison.
Strike to continue over Putco fare increase
Mamelodi residents will have to opt for alternative transport after the Mamelodi residents promised to continue with the protest on Monday morning against the fare increase of 15% by Putco. Romeo More, Putco’s spokesperson said their drivers are expected to report to work. He further said that buses will be operating.
“We have an obligation to transport people. And that is what we will do,” said More. He also rebuked the allegations that 20 buses belonging to them were set alight. “Only one bus has been torched, while 20 others were broken windows,” he added. More said the increase was an annual routine which was done after consultation with the commuters.
“Before we can increase our prices, we look at the situation. We engage the commuters 5 – 6 months before and in this case, we informed the residents of Mamelodi in October 2012,” said More. The New Age understands that other buses were removed from Mamelodi depot to another depot which he liked it to be kept confidential between the two parties. The protest will be a continuation of Friday afternoon where one bus was set light and not twenty.