World Popular Resistance Clippings 27/1/2013

Indefinite strike by construction workers

CONSTRUCTION workers decided on Thursday to continue their strike indefinitely, while the union patrols became embroiled in a fight in Paphos when a contractor tried to recruit strike-breakers to continue works on a hotel renovation site. Dozens of unemployed construction workers arrived on the renovation site to protest, while a patrol force by unions SEK, PEO and DEOK were also in place. But when the jobless construction workers tried to enter the premises, they were prevented by a private security force recruited by the contractor and the hotel management.

There were also strike-breakers in Limassol, SEK’s Yiannakis Ioannou said. PEO and DEOK said the strike-breakers worked under sub-par conditions compared to the collective agreements, the terms of employment that Cypriot workers agree with their bosses.

Tanzania: Police Hold 37 in Kibiti Riots

POLICE are holding 37 suspects for allegedly setting fire to four police officers’ houses, following a fracas pitting ‘wananchi’ against the law enforcers on Thursday at Kibiti area in Rufiji District, Coast Region. Coast Regional Police Commander (RPC), Ulrich Matei told the ‘Daily News on Saturday’ that the suspects will be arraigned on Monday for staging illegal demonstration and destruction of property. “Four officers’ houses were burnt to ashes during the riots,” said the RPC. RPC Matei said violence broke out after a young man named Hamis Mpondi was allegedly beaten and killed by the police. He said police fired tear gas canisters to disperse the rioters who had set barricades on Kilwa Road, using a pile of stones and burning tyres.

Mpondi was detained by the police after he was suspected to be in possession of illegal drugs. “However, the suspect was reported to have died at Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) where he was referred for medical treatment after being taken ill while in custody,” he further said.

Protests after Riots Leave Wounded in Peru

Peruvian peasants have held a protest for seven days in a climate of tension marked by riots that left at least two injured in the municipality of Kanaris, in the northern region of Lambayeque. The protest, consisting of road closures and blocking access to the Canadian mining company Candente Copper will continue until the withdrawal of the company that carried out exploration in three polymetallic deposits in the area.

The peasants fear that mining operations destroy, as has happened in many parts of the country, water resources and ruin agriculture, according to the mayor of Kanaris, Arturo Hurtado. Hurtado called for an effective dialogue, which the government claims to be in favor of, and said that new communities march to Kanaris from neighboring areas to join the protest and warned that this will continue until Candente Copper leaves.

The demonstrators were repressed yesterday with tear gas and rubber bullets, according to an official version admitting there were two wounded and police action cleared a blockage that did not allow food to pass into the company camp. Mayor Hurtado stated there are twenty wounded and other sources mention more than 30, and rejected official claims that the conflict is due only to the presence of radical elements that were in jail by illegal armed activities.

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.