CRPF murders: Two Naxals arrested in Latehar
Latehar (Jharkhand): Two Maoists, who were allegedly involved in Monday’s encounter that killed ten security men and four villagers in Latehar district, have been arrested, police said today. Harinath Singh and Dinesh Singh were nabbed yesterday under Latehar police station, Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar told reporters here. The two rebels had been involved in laying landmines around Amuatikar area where the encounter took place, he said. .
They were also wanted in connection with several cases,including the attack on the convoy of former Jharkhand Assembly Speaker Inder Singh Namdhari in December 2011, the SP said. Both of them were members of the firing squad led by Maoist Nakul Yadav and Balram Kherwar, he said. Ten security personnel and four villagers had been killed in the encounter between the security forces and the Maoists and 15 others suffered injury on Monday. PTI
12 suspected naxal supporters held in Gaya
Gaya: Police on Thursday arrested 12 suspected naxal supporters from a village in Gaya district and seized looted police rifles. Deputy Inspector General of police (DIG) Naiyar Hasnain Khan said police raided a house in Marachi village under Barraia police station and nabbed the twelve people. Three riffles, one local made carbine and 100 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the house, he said.
The arrested people are being further interrogated about their involvement in naxal activities, the DIG said.
Maoists sneak into Saranda, high alert sounded
Amid the ongoing operation Anaconda II to flush out Maoists ultras from their dens, the West Singhbhum police have sounded a high alert to the security posts in Saranda after intelligence agencies reported that a squad of CPI (Maoist) rebels has sneaked into the sprawling forest from the neighbouring Sundergarh district of Odisha. The Maoist squad is reported to have entered the Saranda on Tuesday night from the bordering Sundergarh district by taking shield of dense fog prevailing in Saranda.
When contacted, West Singhbhum superintendent of police Pankaj Kamboj said to have put the police stations, thana out-posts and post of paramilitary forces CRPF as well as Indian Reserved Battalion (IRB) on high alert after they got an intelligence input that a big squad of Maoist have crossed into the Saranda forest from Odisha’s bordering district. “We have issued a high alert moreover because of spurt in Naxal violence in Latehar district, we had already intensified the ongoing Operation Anaconda II here in Saranda, but after the fresh intelligence inputs, we had to issue a high alert,” said Kamboj.
The senior police officer said that though he cannot reveal much on the strategy adopted to deal with the situation but the forces have been asked to remain extra vigilant at their posts and also during the anti-insurgency operations which include the long range patrolling (LRP) and combing operation. Kamboj, when asked, could not say exactly how many rebels were there in the squad, but said that it was a big squad.
The operation Anaconda – II had beguan in November end, after a series of fresh naxal violence which include torching of six earth movers at Usaria village in Kiriburu block and torching of 10 more vehicles of a construction company near Posaita railway station in November. Sources informed that there are intelligence inputs that CPI (Maoist) may indulge in demonstrative acts of violence by targeting security forces.
“ Every effort will be made to maintain law and order and to ensure security of the people. This time all security forces have also been alerted to remain vigilant, particularly against IEDs and landmines,” said another official. Sources informed that the mobility of the police has prevented the extremists from carrying out any violent activity in past 15 days in the entire Kolhan. “A strict vigil would be kept on the non government commercial establishments. Even the security would be beefed up at some of the naxal prone areas of Ghatshila and Dumaria,” said the official.
More forces for red den
New Delhi,Jan. 10: A thousand more paramilitary personnel will be pushed into Latehar-Garhwa region of Jharkhand in what appears to be a decisive battle against Maoists. For over a month now, hundreds of CRPF and Jharkhand Police jawans have been engaged in encounters with the rebels headed by CPI(Maoist) central committee member Arvind, alias Dev Kumar Singh. This group of over 400 Maoists is believed to be carrying light machine guns, two-inch mortars, Insas rifles and AK-47s and perhaps grenade launchers, too.
“Operations will be stepped up in Kateha area (of Latehar) and more troops will be sent to fight the most heavily armed Naxalite group in India,” said a government source. However, more than reinforcements, security forces expected a powerful statement from the Centre after reports came in about Maoists sewing up a bomb inside the body of a dead CRPF jawan. Union home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde was not combative. He only described the incident as a first-of-its-kind. Unlike his predecessor P. Chidambaram, no harsh words were mouthed against Maoists. “They keep changing strategy,” Shinde said.