Manager of Pranhita project held for Naxal links
CHANDRAPUR/NAGPUR: The prestigious Pranhita-Chevella Irrigation Project, a joint venture of Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh, has come under scanner of security forces following the arrest of a manager of one of the private companies engaged in the work for close links with Naxals. Venkatramma Reddy, the manager of Hyderabad’s Sushee Infrastructure Private Limited, was nabbed by Jimulgatta police in Aheri tehsil on Saturday along with two others in Devalmari jungle of Gadchiroli.
The trio was headed to meet a group of Naxals to provide logistics and financial support. They were also in possession of incriminating material brought as an aid for Naxals. One of the accused is a leader of NCP and ex-chairman of Sironcha Panchayat Samiti. Cops investigating the recent encounter with Naxals in Lankachen jungle near Venkatapur in October last year got information about some persons having close association with a Naxal dalam.
The arrested persons had helped in shifting the injured in Lankachen encounter to nearby villages and providing medical assistance. The security forces got information that Naxals were scheduled to meet in Jimulgatta jungle following which a trap was laid under the guidance of Aheri SDPO Sandeep Bauche on Saturday and Reddy, Satyanarayan Parpatlawar and Chhinayya Soyam were caught. Sources said NCP leader from Sironcha Parpatlawar reportedly acted as a middleman between the manager and Naxals. Superintendent of police Suvez Haque confirmed the arrest of three Naxal supporters. “We had information about the movement of some persons who often brought aid for the Naxal dalam involved in Lankachen encounter.
The operation to nab them was planned accordingly,” he said. The trio was produced before the judicial magistrate who sent them to police custody till December 28. Sources said Reddy was working on the irrigation project on Chandrapur-Gadchiroli border for the last couple of months. Haq said the manager belonged to Andhra Pradesh and had supplied cash to Naxals in the past. Details of material seized from the accused could not be known, but sources said some cash was also recovered.
Reds deny receiving ransom
KORAPUT: The outlawed Communist Party of India (Maoist) has reacted strongly to the media statement of Jana Adhikar Manch convener Dandapani Mohanty that the government had paid Rs 6 crore to Maoists for the release of Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka and former Malkangiri collector R Vineel Krishna from their captivity. In posters put up at several places in Malkangiri district on Sunday, Maoists denied receiving money from anyone for the release of the IAS officer and the tribal legislator and asked Dandapani to withdraw his statement. “For the past few days Dandapani has been saying in the media that Rs 6 crore was paid to Maoists for the release of Krishna and Hikaka. But this is not true. We have not received any money from the government.
After the state government agreed to fulfil our demands, the two kidnapped persons were released in the presence of the mediators,” read a Maoist poster at the Malkangiri collectorate. A few days after his son Sangram Mohanty was arrested in Gajapati district on December 5 on charges of links with Maoists, Dandapani, who had mediated with the government for the release of Krishna and two Italian hostages, told the media that the state government had paid ransom to Maoists for the release of Krishna and Hikaka. Maoists had kidnapped Krishna in February 2011 and had abducted Hikaka in March 2012.
Stating that it is not the ideology of the Maoist organization to earn money by kidnapping people, the posters warned Dandapani of dire consequences if he did not refrain from ‘defaming’ the Maoist organization. The posters also charged Dandapani of working in association with Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, who after being expelled from the CPI (Maoist), has formed the Odisha Maovadi Party. “Dandapani in connivance with Panda is trying to defame the Maoist organization and to weaken the people’s movement. We warned him to abstain from all these activities or else he will face the music and will be punished at the praja court (kangaroo court of the Maoists),” the posters mentioned.
Police said they have recovered a few of the posters from Malkangiri town and a few others were spotted at Podia in the district. “We have seized some posters. Investigation is on to find if they are really Maoist posters,” said SP (Malkangiri) Akhileswar Singh. Dandapani said, “I have not seen the posters and at this moment I don’t want to react to it. On Monday I will issue a press statement in this regard.”
NIA to probe Hazaribag arms seizure case
HAZARIBAG: The case in which foreign-made weapons and bulletproof jackets were found from the Silodar forests on the Hazaribag and Gaya district of Bihar on August 29 has been transferred to the National Investigating Agency (NIA).
Police have found US-made rifle, Italy-made pistol and bulletproof jackets along with Rs 9 lakh cash from one Prafull Malakar and a senior Maoist leader Anil Kumar Yadav. SP Manoj Kaushik said now the investigation will be conducted by the NIA team headed by ASP Rajesh Sahni from Lucknow. “We had informed the NIA, Delhi after which the team came and started investigation. Now the entire investigation and trial of the arrested will be conducted at a special court set up for the purpose at Ranchi,” the SP added.