World Popular Resistance Clippings 25/11/2012

Greek protesters march against mining projects

THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) — About 3,000 protesters have marched in the northern Greek city in protest against what they claim are environment-threatening gold mining projects. Riot police barred the protesters’ intended route to the Canadian Consulate on Saturday, but no incidents were reported. Canadian company Eldorado Gold Corp. is involved in four gold mining projects, all in northern Greece. Three of them are at the planning stage. The fourth, and biggest, in the Halkidiki peninsula, had been pursued a decade ago by another Canadian company, TVX, but was cancelled.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gg9lZEAOpjLDpnRrnRO59VAAgahw?docId=b3022f840b2044b2aa9aa85a9cb38dfb

South Mexico teachers threaten indefinite strike

A section of the SNTE teachers union threatened to call an indefinite strike in all the schools of the southern state of Oaxaca if the regional government does not return to them the centers that it awarded six years ago to another local of the same union. “If the government continues with the stupidity of knocking us around, of letting Local 59 take over, we’re going on an indefinite strike,” Cesar Martinez, a member of the center for press and advertising commuications at SNTE Local 22, told Efe.

The warnings came after more than 74,000 teachers took part in a day of blockading 37 highways in protest against the aggression suffered by a group of teachers, Martinez said. Last Thursday, five teachers were seized and presumably attacked while imposing a blockade on a highway near the municipality of Mitla to protest the taking over of some 60 schools by another local of the union, one that is backed by the state government and SNTE leader Elba Esther Gordillo. On Sunday the teachers plan to stage a “megamarch” in the state and afterwards will hold an assembly to decide if they will again call an indefinite strike.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/11/24/south-mexico-teachers-threaten-indefinite-strike636981/

Disqualified former combatant’s banda continues

BHADRAPUR, Nov 25: Normal life in the eastern region has been badly affected on the second consecutive day, on Sunday, due to general strike called by ´disqualified PLA combatants´ from Saturday demanding removal of the label of disqualified, and facilities should be provided to them at par with the PLA combatants who have opted for voluntary retirement. Transport services, educational institutions, factories, among others, have been closed due to the general strike. They were disqualified by the UNMIN during the peace process. They said that they were compelled to launch the strike as the government did not fulfill the agreement reached with them time and again.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=45415

Continuity IRA end ‘dirty protest’ in Belfast prison

Continuity IRA prisoners have ended their “dirty protest” in Maghaberry top-security prison on the outskirts of Belfast. In a communique sent to the Guardian on Sunday, the so-called “commanding officer” of the CIRA in the jail said they would suspend their protest from Monday. CIRA inmates have been refusing to wash and in some cases smearing their cells with excrement in the same way IRA prisoners did during the H-block crisis in the Maze prison, in the years prior to the 1981 hunger strike.

The dissident republican terror group began its protest six months ago in opposition to full body searches as part of the prison’s security regime. The CIRA has joined the other republican factions represented in the jail who have ended the no-wash dirty protest. In their statement, the CIRA spokesman said: “Now after 18 months of this second phase of protest, we believe that we have shown the prison regime our resolve and determination to oppose conditions not befitting Republican prisoners of war. We also believe we can afford them the opportunity at this juncture to implement the agreement.

“It is our hope that with this magnanimous gesture, the prison regime will now honour their word. As Republicans we will not shirk our responsibility and we believe that it is now necessary for us to take this lead in bringing the agreement to its conclusion. “To all who have supported us up to this point, we ask for your continued support. We salute all people across the world who have worked on our behalf. We thank our families and our friends and Cahair (a prisoner support group) who have given us unswerving support and assistance. ”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/25/continuity-ira-dirty-protest-prison

This entry was posted in prisons, resistance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.