Resident: 7 killed in southern Guinea

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — A resident of a village in southern Guinea says that security forces opened fire with live ammunition, killing at least five residents in Zogota after a mining protest this weekend. He says villagers later riposted, killing two soldiers.

Resident Dounamou Tokpa said Monday that a military unit penetrated the village overnight Friday into Saturday. He says they killed the village chief and four other villagers, and angry residents then killed two of the soldiers.

Another resident Martin Kolie said that the trouble started last week, when youths attacked and vandalized the offices of a gold mining company after being told that the company planned to recruit new workers in Conakry, located around 540 miles (900 kilometers) away. Residents say the jobs should go to them.

Officials were not immediately available for comment.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hfkpt7HQ01N3x86sc9T5aLosQ67A?docId=967a8f9672d84b7c868012584b9957f1

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.