90,000 detonators defused in Kolaghat

KOLAGHAT: A team comprising of CID and bomb disposal squad members on Wednesday set about defusing the 90,000 detonators, intercepted from a car in Kolaghat along NH-6 last week. The East Midnapore superintendent of police, Sukesh Jain, said investigations indicate that the detonators were meant for Maoists based in Jangalmahal or Jharkhand.

The team tied explosives to the bunches of detonators so as to defuse them. The sound of a series of loud explosions rocked the area around the field adjoining Kolaghat police station. Though locals protested against the defusion exercise being conducted in a heavily populated area, police ignored their plea to take the detonators to a remote place for defusal.

The detonators were seized on June 27 by cops from Kolaghat police station after they intercepted a black Indica on Sarat Setu along NH-6. Five sacks of detonators were found inside the car that had a Jharkhand registration number. Bihar resident Guddu Singh and his driver Subho Singh were arrested and sent to police custody for 14 days.

“While interrogating the duo, they revealed names of several people who were the intended recipients of the detonators and the destinations to which they were to be delivered. These leads are being followed,” said Jain. Though the investigators are certain that the consignment was meant for Maoists, Jain refused to disclose any further information.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/90000-detonators-defused-in-Kolaghat/articleshow/14683096.cms

This entry was posted in Maoists India, resistance, war and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.