Bhopal: While the police are yet to identity the woman naxalite gunned down in an encounter at Balaghat on May 26, the intelligence sleuths have come across inputs that reveal her name as Leelawati , a resident of Rashimetta village under Roopjhar police station area.
According to the sources, Leelawati had joined the naxalites after the death of her parents in 2007 and had moved to Maharashtra’s Devri Dalam area. She was killed in a police encounter at Dadri plateau forest area near Bamni village under Bithli Chowki, around 50 km from the district headquarters.
Leelawati was present along with Dilip Guha, commander of local special guerrilla squad (SGS) in a meeting with around 25 to 30 other members when police entered the forest. As soon as the naxalites spotted the cops, they started firing indiscriminately. The security forces returned the fire in which Leelawati was killed on the spot. Her .315-bore rifle, some eatables, a laptop, battery, hard disc and several other gadgets were recovered from there.
Considering newspaper clippings and number of cartridges recovered from her body, police were of the opinion that she was holding an important position in the cadre. This was for the first time since 1994 that police had managed to walk away with the body of a slain naxalite. In 2008 police had killed a woman naxalite identified as Sunanda, wife of Rajesh of Devri Dalam during an encounter in Jhiri forest in Lanji area. Her comrades had taken her body along with them .
Meanwhile, the police claimed that Malajkhand and Paraswada dalam members have shifted to Chhattisgarh after the encounter. Guha too has moved out of Balaghat with his SGS team after the incident, they claimed.
Intelligence officials claimed that naxalites are likely to meet at Rajnandgaon where they are organising ‘Shahadat Diwas’ on June 5. The Balaghat police are also waiting for the event hoping that they will disclose her identity during the celebration to declare her a martyr.
- capital and class
- conflict within the movement
- ecological crisis
- Editor's desk
- fascist attacks
- Maoists India
- state control
- state security
- strategy and tactics
- war on drugs
- Women Martyrs of The Indian Revolution
- Letter from your Editor
- People’s War in India Clippings 11/8/2016
- Passing of communist activist and union militant Himadri Sen Roy
- People’s War in India Clippings 8/8/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 1/8/2016
- Brief History of the Armed Communist Formations (FCA)
- Boycott (World) Social Forum, a Safety Valve for Imperialism
- ‘Give us Eylem Ataş’s body’
- People’s War in India Clippings 30/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 29/7/2016
- Indian Democracy Unmasked: BJP-RSS and the politics of Communal Hatred-CAFAU
- Brief history of the Revolutionary Communist Commitee (CoCoRi)
- People’s War in India Clippings 26/7/2016
- 12 detained in house raids in Dersim
- People’s War in India Clippings 24/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 22/7/2016
- HBDH: 11 riot police killed in Trabzon
- Armed wing of Maoist Communist Party eliminates reactionary solder
- Responsibility claim for the execution of mafioso Habibi in June , Exarhia area – Athens , Greece
- About the attempted military coup in Turkey KKE (ml)