Teenagers sentenced for Washington police station attack

Three Washington teenagers have been sentenced after attacking a police station during last August’s riots.

Jamie Nolan, 19, Jordan Dixon, and Nikkie Schofield, both 17, were part of a gang which hurled petrol bombs and a brick at Washington Police Station.

Nolan admitted violent disorder and perverting the course of justice and Dixon and Schofield admitted arson at Newcastle Crown Court.

They were given various community orders for the riot “copycat” attack.

An officer was showered with glass and suffered an eye injury during the attack on 10 August, the court heard.

At the time Northumbria Police said it was an “isolated incident” and not connected to the riots. However, Judge John Milford said it was a “copycat” offence.

He said: “It was about this time last year that there were riots in London and other cities and the widespread looting of shops.

“In this region it did not occur, for which the people of the region should take pride.

“There was one exception though, where the copybook was blotted by you three.

“It was serious offending, but that said, one must keep things in proportion and it pales into insignificance when one compares it, for instance, with what was going on in Croydon.”

Nolan, of Poplars Way, Biddick, was ordered to serve 12 months in a young offenders institution, suspended for two years, with a one-year community rehabilitation programme.

Dixon, of Thornhope Close, and Schofield, of Roche Court – both Barmston, Washington – were both ordered to complete a community rehabilitation order and be electronically tagged during a three-month curfew.

The hearing was told that PC David Bagly was working on a computer when a brick was hurled through the window above his head.

He was showered with glass which scratched the cornea of his eye.

He saw a gang of about six hooded youths running away from the police station.

During the attack a Northumbria Police patrol car was also set on fire.

Prosecutor Robert Adams said the gang had used empty vodka bottles to make petrol bombs, which were used to burn out the £14,700 vehicle.


This entry was posted in resistance, war and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.