Prisons Dept denies using excessive force on inmates

KUALA LUMPUR: The Prisons Department has denied claims that Sungai Buloh Prisons offi­cers used excessive force to break up a protest on Jan 4 which allegedly caused injuries to 200 inmates of Blok Berkat.

The inmates were said to be dissatisfied with the checks carried out on them and their cells.

Four inmates and two officers sustained minor injuries and were treated at the prison clinic, said the department’s policy section head Supri Hashim.

“There had been no beating after the situation was brought under control and they returned to their cells,” he said in a statement.

He said the commotion lasted about 10 minutes. Ten officers were on duty to control the situation.

Meanwhile, the department had set up a board to investigate the incident.

A police report would also be made, said Supri, adding that the department would take action against officers who were found to have acted beyond the stipulated regulations.

An online portal on Jan 8 reported that a strike over bath towels left about 200 inmates at the Sungai Buloh prison black and blue after being allegedly set upon by the prison’s security force (UKP).

The brother of an inmate had filed a complaint with the prison authorities over the incident, which occurred last week.

According to the brother, who refused to be named, the prisoners were attacked by about 40 UKP personnel armed with batons and pepper spray.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/1/17/nation/10273336&sec=nation

This entry was posted in prisons, resistance and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.