Maoists blast part of NH in Bastar

A major portion of the Bastar region remained cut-off from the entire state for a few hours as Naxals blasted a culvert on NH-30 — the only road linking capital Raipur to Jagdalpur.

The blast took place around 1.30 pm at Baniagaon, about 10 km off Kondagaon, a new district to come into effect from January 1. The incident marked the first-ever instance of Naxals commanding the strategically significant NH. Three major Naxal-affected districts — Bastar, Bijapur and Dantewada — lie beyond the spot.

“The blast was very powerful. It damaged the entire culvert and left a 5X7X12 feet trench. Fortunately there was no traffic at the moment, else it would have led to heavy casualties,” Kondagaon Sub-divisional Officer N P Mishra told The Indian Express.

State Home Minister Nanki Ram Kanwar admitted that “Naxals have become very powerful and it seems they can do anything”.

The blast marked a strategic victory of sorts for the insurgents as it was the first time they managed to gain control on Raipur-Jagdalpur highway. Intelligence had already established their presence in forests along the highway.

A police force was rushed to the spot for reconstruction. “Traffic has begun, concretised road will be built by tomorrow,” Kanwar said.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Maoists-blast-part-of-NH-in-Bastar/884806/

 

This entry was posted in Maoists India, resistance, war and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.