Residents from TR Section are expected to protest outside the Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court on Monday demanding the release of five people arrested for allegedly wrecking and damaging an ANC councillor’s house last week.
About 50 residents from TR Section marched to Lingelethu West police station on Friday but police would not budge on the residents’ demand and told them to disperse and attend court today.
On Thursday residents allegedly damaged Cllr Luvuyo Hebe’s house and vandalised his secretary Khaya July’s house, claiming they were both corrupt.
It is expected that the residents would come to court in their numbers today to support the five people arrested and submit a petition for their speedy release or else demand that they all be arrested.
Their houses were vandalised after a heated meeting when July refused to answer questions about a financial report tabled before the community residents on Thursday.
Residents claimed that both Hebe and July were selling housing plots of a new low-cost housing project.
Residents Mvusi Base alleged “our councillor is full of corruption”.
He alleged that Hebe had been collecting money from residents claiming it was for the development of the area and when he was confronted about the whereabouts of the money he could not answer.
“All we wanted was our money from them,” said Base.
Another resident Asanda Zono said “we just wanted answers from him about the money we have been paying, that’s why residents destroyed his shack”.
Hebe responded that the people who destroyed his house only wanted jobs for themselves.
He said the area’s development forum had agreed with the community in a meeting that people employed would be contracted for six months to give others a chance thereafter.
He denied collecting money from the residents.
He said his house was destroyed “for no reason after the meeting. We opened a criminal case”.
Lingelethu police spokesperson Siphokazi Mawisa confirmed that five people would appear in Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court today. – WCN