India’s Maruti resumes ‘limited’ operations amid strike

NEW DELHI — Strike-hit Maruti Suzuki, India’s biggest carmaker, resumed “limited” operations on Monday and said it would start talks to settle a labour row that has cost the company hundreds of millions of dollars.

The company, majority owned by Japan’s Suzuki Motor, said it restarted some operations at its strike-bound Manesar plant in northern India with the help of around 150 employees not taking part in the work stoppage.

But no cars were actually being produced.

“Production has started in a limited way. To start with, the welding shop has been made operational,” Maruti said in a statement.

The Manesar factory has been hit by repeated labour unrest since June, costing the company at least 17.50 billion rupees ($356.5 million) in lost output.

The striking workers ended an eight-day sit-in at the plant late Friday after a court order, and maintained a picket outside the factory on Monday.

Output at Maruti’s main plant in Gurgaon, outside New Delhi, also resumed Monday after being halted late last week by a parts shortage caused by sympathy strikes at other Suzuki-owned factories.

But only those cars — such as the Eeco family van — that do not rely on parts from strike-hit units could be produced.

“Output will be a fraction of normal,” a Maruti spokesman told AFP, asking not to be named in line with company policy.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g-QH50CNli4L3z5pow8iEFMF92sw?docId\x3dCNG.4ca6e74991e91a5fcc61edbea7710f5a.1c1

 

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.