Katikamu closes after second strike

Katikamu SDA Secondary School has been closed indefinitely after the students staged a second strike in a space of five days. The students are demanding the termination of services of some teachers including some top administrators whom they accuse of being high handed in terms of discipline.

The school closure was announced yesterday by the Headmaster Mr Joseph Nyangoma, at 6am after students rejected the measures taken by the administration against the teachers.

The school management board had earlier announced on Thursday that the teachers who allegedly beat up a student last week had been discontinued while the deputy headteacher had also been demoted to a class teacher.

It is reported that the students walked out of the assembly hall as the board explained the resolutions undertaken during a stakeholders meeting. “We have spent almost one week in uncertain situation but the authorities have not met the basics of our grievances. Some of our demands were for the good of the school and our future but these teachers just think we are selfish,” a Senior Three student said while he waited for his parents to pick him.

Mr Nyangoma said the administration had no option but to close the school since the students had become rowdy and unruly. “Sending them back to their respective parents was the best option as we plan the next step. It is not in our interest that they go home since they were sitting for the mid-term tests while the candidate classes were busy revising for the mock exams,” Mr Nyangoma said.

The Thursday night strike is the second following last week’s when students from the boy’s wing vandalised their warden’s office and smashed windows. They also destroyed two water tanks and burnt school documents before police intervened.

Luweero District Education Officer, Florence Bosa Ssekitoleko told Saturday Monitor said it was unfortunate for the parents. “It is sad that parents are forced to bare the burden on issues that they have not budgeted for,” Ms Ssekitoleko said.

One parent, who had come to pick up a student, said he had cautioned one of the school administrators on visitation day after the first strike on some of the grievances raised by the students but no action had been taken.


This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.