Five more people have received jail terms ranging from a year and a half to five years and eight months over last month’s unrest in a city in south China’s Guangdong Province, local court sources said Saturday.
The People’s Court of Zengcheng City handed down the jail terms on Thursday.
Local police said last week altogether 11 suspects involved in the unrest were charged. Six people received jail terms ranging from nine months to three and a half years on Monday.
On Thursday, Lin Yongfa and Zhang Jie were convicted on the charges of creating disturbances and intentionally injuring.
Li Jianming and Peng Laiping were convicted on the charge of creating disturbances.
Chen Mengling was convicted on the charge of inciting violent defiance against the law.
According to the court, Li Jianming, Zhang Jie, Peng Laiping and Lin Yongfa threw stones at and smashed vehicles on a main highway in Xintang Town of Zengcheng on the night of June 11.
One day later, Lin Yongfa, Zhang Jie and Peng Laiping got together again to stir up disturbances in a road of Xintang, and Lin threw stones and bricks at passing-by vehicles. Serious chaos were created at the scene.