Two cops hurt in clash

BANGALORE: The fight between a police constable and a gang of miscreants over a trivial issue turned into a fight between the police and the public in Doddakammanhalli in Hulimavu police station limits late on Sunday evening. Two police constables were injured in the incident and police resorted to baton charge the public in a bid to control the situation.

One of the injured constables has been identified as Ramesh, who works as a crime constable in Hulimavu police station. He is now recovering in a hospital.

According to police, there was a fight between Ramesh and a gang of five miscreants over a trivial issue. In a fit of rage, Ramesh allegedly assaulted one of them and the miscreants, who did not realise Ramesh was a policeman as he was in civil dress, thrashed the latter and left him bleeding. They also allegedly assaulted other policeman who had gone with Ramesh.

The other policeman later shifted Ramesh to a hospital and informed his colleagues about the incident. Reportedly, the policemen came in large numbers in five jeeps to the spot and started caning every person standing there. The police stopped there act only after a group of women protested against them. The police allegedly asked the mob to come to police station and left the scene.

Meanwhile, a reserve police vehicle reached the spot and the policemen in the vehicle allegedly lathicharged the mob and a few women were injured in the incident. This led to a fight between the mob and the police and the public pelted stones on the policemen injuring a few. Later, the situation was brought under control.

‘Suspend PSI’

Alleging harassment by traffic police, around 100 auto drivers staged a protest in front of Yeshwanthpur traffic police station on Sunday. They demanded the suspension of Police SubInspector Siddagangaiah accusing him of harassing Nagaraju, an auto driver.

Nagaraju said that, on last Friday, he was stopped by the police near Goraguntepalya Junction on charges of signal jump and he was brought to police station. “I was beaten up by the policemen in the station and they robbed me of cash Rs 8,000 and a mobile phone. I was beaten and Siddagangaiah forced me touch the foot of police constables and insulted me,” he charged. However, the agitators called off the protest later.

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.