Jos women protest over girl shot by soldier

There was tension in Jos yesterday as no fewer than a hundred women took over the major streets in the Gada Biu area of Jos North Local Government Area to protest the killing of a girl allegedly by a soldier at a polling unit.

Sunday Sun learnt that trouble started when the girl on the queue at a polling unit in Utan area had a disagreement with a soldier, who allegedly shot her. This led to a stampede in the area, leading to two other persons being shot.

It was learnt that the victims were immediately taken to a hospital while normalcy was restored to allow voting to continue in the area. But about 4pm, news spread that one of the victims had given up the ghost, making the women in the area to troop out to protest the killing.

The women who were half-naked headed to the state police command to register their grievance.
The Director of Research and Documentation to the state governor, Mr Gyang Pwajok, who spoke on the incident, said: “The conduct of this election has been peaceful all through the day as people were going about their civic responsibility in a peaceful manner. Then suddenly a soldier, who was pursuing somebody on a bike, came to a polling area and shot at the person.

“Definitely you will expect mob reaction and a lot of the youths became restive and wanted to start blocking the road. We had to go and plead with them. Things were getting calm only for us to find another vehicle with soldiers going in there to start shooting carelessly. From what we gathered, there were casualties. We are yet to find out the nature of the casualties.” Sunday Sun learnt that the election was disrupted in the two polling stations at Utan area and voting did not take place.

In another incident, a vehicle conveying electoral materials to Babale in the outskirt of Jos in Jos North Local Government Area was vandalized by an angry mob. At the time of filing this report, it was not clear why the vehicle was attacked but when contacted, spokesman for the Special Task Force, Captain Charles Okeocha, said the situation had been brought under control.

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.